Profile for Lorraine > Reviews

We Are Pirates
We Are Pirates
by Daniel Handler

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 9 April 2015
This review is from: We Are Pirates (Hardcover)
I would not rush to read this book !

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Drifting into the absurd, 23 Oct. 2013
I have really enjoyed the previous Books but the last Book 5 seems desperate and almost farcical with Dwarfs riding pigs and boys morphing into tress whilst hanging in them. I agree with many other readers that the spread of characters which appears to get ever broader looses touch with the original theme. What is it about Martin that he keeps needing to kill off the main male characters, the killing of John Snow provides yet another disjointed twist to the story. It also makes the outcome appear somewhat predictable. I do not feel particularly engaged with the remaining characters and am particularly disappointed with this latest Book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 8:50 AM GMT

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dance with Dragons, 25 Jun. 2013
Having enjoyed the first 4 books of the series this was disappointing in various respects. To one of the characters being suspended in a tree like hammock and being able to talk to trees and travel into and through them, to girls flying on dragons and dwarfs battling on pigs I found difficult to suspend my disbelief. But worse of all to kill off John Snow - unless of course he comes alive in the next edition has just about exhausted my interest in this saga. The families have become more detached and disconnected and there does not appear to be any end to the dissolution of the original plot. I am not sure I have the energy to read any more.A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)