Profile for Dr. L. Goodwin > Reviews

Passengers
Passengers
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars It is well acted with good special effects, 16 July 2017
This review is from: Passengers (Amazon Video)
It is well acted with good special effects. The start was slow but okay, with occasional flashes of black humour, although I'm not sure if that was intentional. The second half was rather tedious, it just didn't really go anywhere, and I got bored.

BAUER SPEED PLATE, Storlek:7 = 42
BAUER SPEED PLATE, Storlek:7 = 42
Offered by HPs-Sport-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy as they are that good, 19 Jun. 2017
This review is from: BAUER SPEED PLATE (Misc.)
I bought these to support my arches, as I have had knee problems. They were moulded for me in the shop. They not only support my arches, but they also increase the area of contact between my feet and the sole of the skate, giving greatly improved control and stability. I would not skate without them as they make such a big difference. A do have concerns about longevity as there have been reports of them cracking, but if they last a year, I'm happy as they are that good.

ETI SuperFast Thermapen 3 thermometer (Teal)
ETI SuperFast Thermapen 3 thermometer (Teal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good product, works well, hopefully it will last years, 19 Feb. 2017
I bought one of these for £24 which was a bargain but still expensive compared to other thermometers. However, it is well made and seemingly accurate and fast. And hopefully it will last many years. It turns on automatically when you pull out the probe. The teal looks horrid in the picture but in reality it's quite nice. The only criticism I have is the battery compartment cover. It is hard to remove, and doing so using a coin causes slight damage to the plastic. It needs to be made from a hard plastic, or not require use of a coin. Hence four stars and not five. It'd also be nice if it used AAA batteries which are easier to source and NiMH rechargeables are available. Overall very nice.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined the fit of my ice skates, very expensive for what they are., 19 Feb. 2017
I bought these to fit in my new Bauer S160 ice skates. The skates are comfortable, but I wanted arch support as I have had trouble with my knees. The size 7.5 fitted my 7EE skates without trimming. Unfortunately they ruined the fit of the skate. The problem is that they lift up the heels, and pull back the toes. This led to discomfort on the top of my foot from the skate tongue, and too much space in the toe box reducing control. What I want is arch support and nothing more. With ice skates the fit is very important, so sadly the superfeet are unsuitable. They might work if your skates are a bit too deep and a bit short for your feet. In terms of quality they seem okay. They are made from a thin, maybe 3mm, layer of rubbery neoprene like stuff glued to a hard plastic raised heel and arch support. They provide minimal cushioning, I find it hard to believe it has much effect. The heel and arch support is very good. Price wise they are very very expensive for what they are. Mine are now in my normal shoes, fingers crossed they help my knees.

Footnote: I discovered that Superfeet would refund my money if I provided proof of purchase, so I returned them for a refund. This applies in the UK, and the offer is probably for a limited time after purchase. I returned mine after 6 weeks. I subsequently purchased Bauer Speed Plates, and they do the job perfectly.

The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 25 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Psychopath Test (Paperback)
A good read, very light, and entertaining (but not funny as some claim). He knows how to tell a story, and he gets across a few key points regarding psychopaths, which make one think. I read an excoriating review of the book by a psychologist or psychiatrist, who claimed he was laying into the mental health professions. But I don't think that is fair. This is a complex subject, which Ronson only really touches on, but he does so in a way that stimulates ones interest. I enjoyed it.

Demon Flex Force X Short D30 Body Protection - Black
Demon Flex Force X Short D30 Body Protection - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars These have saved me from a lot of pain, 25 Jan. 2017
I ice skate and I was getting cheesed off with falling on my coccyx, and being in pain. Usually it'd take 5-10 minutes of skating through discomfort after the fall, with brusing lasting days. Twice I had to leave the ice, once I was in agony the next day. Since buying these, I've fallen twice on my backside, and once on my side. Yes it hurt, but the pain was short lived, and I could get back up and skate again with no discomfort, and no bruising. The padding spreads out the impact, so you feel it but the severity is significantly reduced. These really are good, and they have given me back my confidence on the ice, and I am sure they will save me from a possible severe injury to my coccyx. Faults? Well, they could get a bit sweaty and honky if worn under trousers on a warm day. I wear mine under tracksuit bottoms on an ice rink. And they do look a bit garish, so I'd not want to wear them over trousers. Lastly, going for a pee with them on is not easy. Still, they get my approval.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Selected Ambient Works 85-92

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, just ignore the even numbered tracks., 14 Oct. 2016
This is good stuff. Oddly enough I don't like the even numbered tracks, finding them boring but the odd numbered tracks are brilliant, with a wonderful repetitive drum beat. The odd numbered tracks on their own are enough to give this five stars.

Trance Nation Aly and Fila
Trance Nation Aly and Fila

1.0 out of 5 stars it's all the same bland dull mindless tripe, 14 Oct. 2016
When I bought this CD I asked a colleague about trance. He described it as euro w***. I listened to it, and every track sounds almost the same. There is little variation, little imagination, little creativity, it's all the same bland dull mindless tripe. He was right, it is euro w***. I speak as someone who likes Aphex Twin, Orbital, Motorhead, Charles Mingus, Hawkwind, Miles Davis, Benjamin Britton, Shostakovich, and so on, so I have Catholic tastes. But this is junk. Take some drugs first, preferably a general anaesthetic, it might sound good.

The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
by Kris Dhillon

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like British Indian restaurant style currys, buy this book. It teaches you how to make them. Yummy., 14 Oct. 2016
I was given this book by a colleague about 6 years ago, and left it in the kitchen cupboard. This evening I made a batch of the basic curry sauce, and then used some to make a vegetable and wild salmon curry, using homegrown carrot, parsnip, chillis and spring onion. Wow! What can I say, this turned out like a good Indian restaurant curry, but with much better quality vegetables and fish. It was cracking stuff, the equal of the best local Indian restaurant. If you want to make a restaurant style curry, buy this book. Now I need to read the rest of the book ...

Rofis TR10 CREE XP-L HI V3 LED 900 Lumens Variable-Output Side-Switch Led Flashlight and Angle Light with 700mAh RCR123A Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars A very beautiful, bright and compact torch, 27 Sept. 2016
What struck me when I opened the box is how beautiful the torch is. It is extremely nicely machined. The tail threads are square, and of a good size. The cap screws on and off with ease. The supplied clip is well made and effective. The finish on mine is a greenish grey anodising and is flawless. It takes a single 18650 battery, and accepted my protected Keeppower battery without issues. It has USB charging via a socket on the side. The mode switch on the side is covered with rubber and easily accessed. During charging the switch glows red, and then green when fully charged while the USB supply is connected.

In my opinion Sunwayman have done a very good job of the user interface. The three primary modes - low, medium and high - are well spaced and easily accessed. The additional modes are hidden, so they do not get in the way of normal use, but easily accessed.

From off, a long press turns it on in moonlight mode i.e. very dim. This is ideal at night when you want to preserve your night vision.

From off, a single press turns it on at the last used normal mode or low if it was previously in moonlight mode.

From a normal mode, holding the switch down cycles through the normal modes in low-medium-high order. Oddly enough the manual gives the reverse order! Low is suitable for bumbling about at night without disturbing others, high is suitable for cross country running at night, or push bike riding, and medium is a general purpose level which conserves the battery.

A double press from off, or on, takes it to one of the comedy modes.

From a comedy mode, holding the switch down cycles through the comedy modes i.e. beacon, SOS and strobe.

Independent reviews indicate that the output levels, and runtimes given by Sunwayman are realistic.

The light comes in a simple cardboard box, with a clip, a simple lanyard (strap) and a spare O ring. There is not holster.

Overall this is in my opinion a rather beautiful and well designed torch. The size is such that it could be kept in a coat pocket, or a briefcase. It is a bit big for a trouser pocket, depending of course on the nature of your trousers and pockets. The current price on Amazon (about £30) for this torch is an absolute bargain and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

A word of caution: Good quality Lithium-ion batteries are quite safe when used with care but poor quality cells, or cells charged in a poor quality charger, can vent with flames. Please buy a good quality 18650 battery, preferably a protected one, and a good quality charger.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8