Profile for R. Montalto > Reviews

Content by R. Montalto

R. Montalto "rob@montalto.co.uk" (Loughton, Essex)

Tefal Preference Frying Pan, Non Stick, 30 cm
Tefal Preference Frying Pan, Non Stick, 30 cm
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars My new best friend!, 30 Mar. 2011
I've been considering a new frying pan for a while now, as my old ones are...well, old.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on one as, whilst I'm interested in cooking, I didn't want to fall into the "all the gear - no idea" trap, so I was on the lookout for something that would do the job, but wouldn't cost an arm and leg.

Took a punt on this baby and after using it for a few weeks now, its all good. It's great for meats and steaks and all the usual, but I find myself using it for cooking virtually everything now. The teflon coating is excellent and appears to be very durable, and although it comes with a lifetime guarantee I'm only using wooden spoons or silicon spatulas on it.

However, by far the coolest thing about it is that because the surface is so slidey, you can do that clever flippy thing that Jamie does, where he flips the contents from the end of the pan back on to itself a few times. Very satisfying and always makes me feel all profesh - even though I can always hear the girlfriend tutting in the background!

Well worth the score all day long.

Exspect EX884 - Polished Metal Earphones - Silver + Black
Exspect EX884 - Polished Metal Earphones - Silver + Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound., 22 Jun. 2010
Over the last few years I've easily bought over a dozen ear bud type headphones. Unfortunately, wear and tear, catching on door handles, losing them, etc I've managed to go through a lot. I've generally bought Sony as I've found the value to sound ration probably among the best.

However, bouyed by some pretty good reviews of these Exspect EX884's, I decided to have a go at these for a change.

The first thing I noticed when they arrived was that the cable was not just black plastic, but a coloured plastic coated 'cord' type which looked and felt more solid, and together with the shiney silver ends gave it a sense of better quality.

The cord from jack to ear buds seemed slightly shorter than the Sony's I'd been used to, but were just long enough to go from trouser pocket to ears, so so far so good.

However, it was only when I plugged in and volumed up that their real difference became apparent. The quality of the sound was excellent, with crisp highs and deep lows with a solid and pure bass. The overall feel of the music also seems louder than my other phones. I have a wide range in musical taste from heavy metal to New Age, but in every case the new phones enhanced the experience.

I would definitely say that these are the best ear bud headphones I've owned, and I'm just about to buy another set for my sister as a gift - as a music lover I know she'll appreciate them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Tool...., 4 Jun. 2010
If you're looking for a handsome, well tooled piece of equipment then this is your man.

As soon as you pick it up you just know that your holding something of quality. The knife feels solid and the blade is thick and super sharp. The body is made of real shaped wood and the metal is brushed steel, giving it a muted professional look and feel.

The blade locks out so that when its in its in, and when its out its out.

This is the kind of tool that you know will be around in your drawer or garden tool box for years, and not one of the cheap B&Q efforts that will fall to pieces in a matter of months. It reminded me of the tools my dad (still) has - made to last a lifetime.

A lovely bit of kit!

Fellowes Powershred DS-1 Cross-Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology
Fellowes Powershred DS-1 Cross-Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, effective shredder., 31 Jan. 2007
I bought one of these as I wanted something at home to offer some protection from Identity Fraud (particularly as we have to put all of our paper, etc into clear plastic recycling bags!).

I had a read around and felt that the DS-1 offered the best spec for the money. Also, as it was for my home, it didn't look that bad either and so it wouldn't look out of place in my study.

I have found it very useful and effective. Now I just shred all of the junk mail, old utility bills, envelopes, old CD's, credit cards...in fact everything I can. The bits come out of the shredder into a mesh hopper at the bottom, which is easily removed and tipped into the recycle bag. Nothing is readable at all.

It has a safety mechanism which temporarily cuts off the shredder if you touch the mouth (where you put the paper in) or if the bin isn't in properly, or if you put in too many sheets at once (ie more than about 8) (which you only really do when you are a bit impatient).

All in all, I am very pleased with it. In fact I bought another one for the office (although from Argos because it was about a tenner cheaper - since then Amazon had reduced the price) and I am going to buy a second for the office today!

20Q
20Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for something original to buy as a present.....?, 25 April 2005
This review is from: 20Q (Toy)
I came across this great little gadget just before Christmas when I was searching for something original to buy the children of friends of mine. When it arrived, the packageing allowed you to have a go of it. So I did!
The thing is fantastic! Like the original game, it asks a series of questions with the aim of determining the item somebody is thinking of. And it gets it right the majority of the time!
Its really quite fascinating! I ended up ordering another eight in time for Christmas and had Amazon deliver them direct to the kids of all of my friends. And they went down a storm! I even got email and letters from the kids thanking me!!
If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive and original present to buy kids (or even adults actually) then get them one of these, no question.

Round Ireland With A Fridge
Round Ireland With A Fridge
by Tony Hawks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest thing you'll read., 2 May 2001
I bought this book on one of my many wanders through Amazon largely because of the title. The absurdity of the premise that somebody would hitch hike around Ireland with a fridge, touched the maverick side of me and so I bought it.
Simply, it is one of the funniest books you'll read. It combines the day to day adventures of Tony along with the ridiculous situations that he finds himself in. The reaction of the Irish people that he comes across is irrational and typical at the same time. It is very laugh-out-loud funny as well as touching and moving, acting as a metaphor for life - and all written brilliantly.
If you're reading this review it means that you want persuading before you commit to buying the book. Then do yourself a favour and take the punt and stick it in your basket. You won't be sorry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2010 1:25 AM GMT