Profile for Mangaman > Reviews

CMJ: A Cricketing Life
CMJ: A Cricketing Life
by Christopher Martin-Jenkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: CMJ: A Cricketing Life (Paperback)
I worked my way through this autobiography but it felt like a chore rather than a pleasure. Sadly, I found the book to be... well, rather dull I'm afraid. There was far too much discussion of little-known editors and reporters from national newspapers and obscure cricketing publications which will go over the heads of most readers. I only felt that his story got going during the middle chapters of the book when he described his overseas trips. These were fleeting moments of connection and interest, I'm sorry to report. There are also a few silly factual errors. For example, on page 3 of the paperback edition, CMJ has Steve Harmison bowling the West Indies out in Jamaica in 1994. An editor or proof-reader with even a little knowledge of cricket would have surely picked up on that.

The Life of Graham: The Authorised Biography of Graham Chapman
The Life of Graham: The Authorised Biography of Graham Chapman
by Bob McCabe

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 31 Oct. 2013
Graham Chapman was a very funny fellow. You wouldn't realise this from this scrappy biography though. The author seems blinded by two things: Chapman was a homosexual and an alcoholic. This stifles the narrative and nothing else is allowed space to breathe. The impression I got was that the author had based the overwhelming content of his book on just two interviews, one with Graham's brother and the other his former lover. Both are quoted at length. His comedic partners barely warrant a mention. A disappointing read.

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not for everyone, 31 Oct. 2013
As many other reviewers have pointed out, each earpiece is set into a hard, moulded plastic head. It looks and feels a bit cheap and nasty to be honest. Because of this, the earphones don't fit snugly into the ear canal in the way that my previous Sennheiser CX300 earphones (now deceased) did. The plastic moulding may be uncomfortable for some users. Another problem I've found is that the plastic housing also makes them slip slightly out of position now and again, so I often have to push them back in when I'm out and about. On the plus side, the sound quality is pretty good for the price. On balance, they're a good budget buy but I'd recommend a pair of Sennheisers any day.