Profile for John > Reviews

Large Black Granite & Chrome house number plaque - 1 to 99 available
Large Black Granite & Chrome house number plaque - 1 to 99 available
Offered by Atlantic Hardware Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
Excellent - our neighbour across the road texted me to say how good it looked!

Big Bang: The Most Important Scientific Discovery of All Time and Why You Need to Know About It
by Simon Singh

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Bang - Big Book!, 22 Feb. 2012
Only half-way through so far, but this comprehensive book has provided an excellent history of astronomy and cosmology just about up to the present. I'm getting to the steady-state / big bang argument, which I remember from my younger days. I only hope it answers the most pressing question: namely what caused the Big Bang in the first place? Sorry, must get back to it to find out! An excellent history and presentation of the various theories as they rise and fall, knocked over by newer theories.

DataCopy ColPrnt A4 100gsm White Ream FMS
DataCopy ColPrnt A4 100gsm White Ream FMS

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 gsm paper, 1 Jan. 2011
Good quality paper, better price than elsewhere I could find (with delivery) - I think it is good value and will probably order it again when this order runs out.

A History of the World in 100 Objects
A History of the World in 100 Objects
by Neil MacGregor

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy History, 26 Nov. 2010
Hmmm. The series on Radio 4 was fascinating, with bite-sized interesting easily-digestible histories of interesting objects in an easy-listening style. However, the book is a heavy volume, and the word pictures do not conjure up the images as well to me as the broadcasts. I suppose I should have realised that reviewing 100 objects would make for a big book, but I am nevertheless slightly disappointed, although all the salient facts are there. It is rather one to take on holiday than to leave on the coffee-table at home.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2010 8:27 AM GMT

The Grand Design: New Answers to the Ultimate Questions of Life
The Grand Design: New Answers to the Ultimate Questions of Life
by Stephen Hawking

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost back to the beginning!, 24 Oct. 2010
Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow have made yet another stab to popularise the exploration of how the universe began. I read it interspersed with Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw's book "Why does e=mc2" which I found as a lapsed mathematician to be much more readable, understandable and less opinionated than the Hawking/Mlodinow text, which left me feeling strangely empty towards the end, as if they couldn't quite reach the final point they were trying to make: is it because that point is beyond mathematical comprehension? Read both and decide!

Why Does E=mc2?
Why Does E=mc2?
by Brian Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars e equals mc squared, 24 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Why Does E=mc2? (Paperback)
Brian Cox and his associate Jeff Forshaw are brilliant communicators, and I can recommend this book to anyone even without GCSE maths who is willing to read it seriously to get the maximum benefit from clear and concise arguments, reasoning and explanations. Superb.