Profile for V. Carlin > Reviews

Content by V. Carlin

V. Carlin (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
The Railway Children (Puffin Classics)
The Railway Children (Puffin Classics)
by E. Nesbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, sweet story, 11 July 2008
The brilliance of the Railway Children is that E Nesbit refuses to talk down to her readers - she handles a variety of complicated emotions, and she does so in a way that enables us to see things we wouldn't have worked out for ourselves about the character, but that are very true and beautifully observed. Okay, a few too many things happen to these kids - even the film removed one or two sensational twists too many - but those things all bring new insights and emotional rewards. It's a great book.

Patrick
Patrick
by Quentin Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Quentin Blake's most beautiful illustrations, 28 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Patrick (Paperback)
Absolutely no question my daughter's favourite book, she is OBSESSED with it, and shouts for PATRICK! PATRICK! every bed time. It was a favourite of mine as a child, so I read it to her from an early age. The Irishness may be a little politically incorrect now, with talk of tramps and tinkers, but it is a sensational book to read aloud, and Quentin Blake's pictures have never been more gorgeous - there's a lovely very specifically 1970s quality to the design, but the beauty is timeless. More than with his more famous works, you can see how cleverly he lays out his deceptively simple paintings across the whole page, and it's nothing short of genius. Scenes where trees grow cupcakes and Christmas puddings, and a gaggle of colourful misfits form an ad hoc parade are quite brilliant. I wish it were in print again, it should not be lost.

Peepo!
Peepo!
by Janet Ahlberg
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not so much fun for children, 28 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Peepo! (Board book)
A book that a lot of parents tell you is the best book ever for children, but my daughter has not enjoyed it at any age. I agree with the other low-rating reviewers that it doesn't really have any of the things children love about books, the tiny detailed pictures are cute and nostalgic, but children aren't interested in those things. It's very right-on, just like all their books, but a turn-off in my house.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2010 9:47 PM BST

The Elephant and the Bad Baby (Puffin Picture Books)
The Elephant and the Bad Baby (Puffin Picture Books)
by Elfrida Vipont

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, but not for all children, 28 Jun. 2008
I think this is a lovely book, the illustrations are beautiful and witty, and I've read it to my daughter since she was about 6 months old, but it's never really taken hold of her. She's never asked me to read it (she's 18 months old now, and demands a lot of books - not this one), and she will only sit through all of it at bed time. The only bit she really likes is where the bad baby falls off and loses his stash. The four stars is from the five I would give it, minus one because my daughter doesn't like it, and I guess her opinion counts. What I'm saying is, it's not a sure thing, despite the good reviews.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 2:22 AM GMT

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story with great pictures and rhymes, 21 Jun. 2008
This was an instant hit with my toddler, who was entranced by the rhymes and learned the word snail within a single read. I found myself quite moved when reading it too, especially when the snail feels small in the big beautiful world.

Charlie Cook's Favourite Book: 1
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book: 1
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for older readers, 21 Jun. 2008
I think this is a lot of fun for older children reading themselves because there are lots of little in jokes and details and it's sophisticated in a way they'll get, and quite post-modern, to make them feel clever. It's quite a bit too old for my daughter, but she likes to point at the birds and things and finish the rhymes she can remember. She'll enjoy it more later.

Into the Forest
Into the Forest
by Anthony Browne

1.0 out of 5 stars Really horrible, 13 May 2008
This review is from: Into the Forest (Paperback)
Maybe I just don't get it, but... I don't get it. The story is horrible, there's no reason for the scary things, there's no wit or clever pay-off, nothing that makes you think of real people or real emotion, nothing a child would like. I bought this after reading a recommendation, and I won't even be reading it to my daughter, because I know what she likes (Quentin Blake's 70s books, obsessively) and they're happy, lovely stories. Not that she doesn't like something a bit waspish and thrilling, or tart and cynical. But this isn't any of those things, it's - just - not nice!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2009 3:06 PM BST

Numberjacks - Calling All Agents! [DVD]
Numberjacks - Calling All Agents! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Numberjacks
Offered by DVD SOLUTIONS * FAST WORLDWIDE DELIVERY * SAME DAY DISPATCH BEFORE 3PM MON-FRI * GUARANTEED TO BE IN STOCK

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate this programme! And #3 especially!, 5 May 2008
First of all, this is NOT an educational programme, no matter what parents would like to think. However, I don't really care if programmes are educational because it would be a bit embarrassing if I thought my kid should learn something from watching telly.

I am just looking for something that entertains my 18 month old, and for some inexplicable reason, this hits the spot. She doesn't just find it more interesting than other programmes, she is utterly riveted by it, it's the only programme she won't move an inch while watching, and we spend her mealtimes discussing (well, naming in a babyish way) the major villains in the series. Speaking of the villains, I noticed this was the first television she found scary, she used to jump when the baddies came on, but she loves that. I can't explain why she likes it, she knows NOTHING about numbers and can't even identify the characters (ie 3, 4, 5 and 6) despite knowing the names of other CBeebies people, from Josie Jump to Makka Pakka. So yeah, it would be nice if we could fake her intelligence that way, but sadly, that's not going to happen. Still, when I want her completely spellbound by television, this is where I go.

simplehuman U-Frame Dishrack
simplehuman U-Frame Dishrack

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 19 April 2008
No leaks on mine. It is the sturdiest, cleverest dish rack I've ever seen. It's pretty huge, but the way it manages wineglasses, large plates, and doesn't rock even with a few big pans and a wok slung on top of it make it one of the most useful things in my kitchen. I absolutely love it.

Cloud B Twilight Turtle
Cloud B Twilight Turtle

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty stars, 21 Mar. 2008
I'm fond of this turtle, which works well in very dark rooms, when the turtle is at the perfect height. The stars are very weak if the room is a bit light, and the stars are smudgey if the turtle is too far away from the ceiling. But the effect when you have it just right is soothing and beautiful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13