Profile for gingerbread > Reviews

Burgundy Pashmina
Burgundy Pashmina
Offered by Kuldip LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for price, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Burgundy Pashmina (Apparel)
This scarf is really good quality for the price. The material is quite thin and some of the tassles a bit crappy, but it's less than £3 so what would you expect? It also has a weird chemically smell that hasn't quite faded yet (after about a week with frequent wearing) which is why I gave it 4 stars. I'm really hoping this smell will go soon!

78" x 28" Eco-Friendly Bamboo Rayon Soft Solid Pashmina Shawl / Wrap / Stole - Burgandy
Offered by Sakka's

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price, has a weird smell, 16 Mar. 2013
Surprisingly good quality for the price. It has a weird, chemically smell that, but that will hopefully go after a while.

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)
Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous visuals, relaxing gameplay, 16 Jun. 2011
I've long been a fan of Harvest Moon games, but this was the first Rune Factory I've played. It's very similar to Harvest Moon but with the addition of dungeons and monsters to occupy you. The monsters can be tamed and kept in a barn, replacing the traditional animals, and used to get milk, wool, honey and eggs, as well as helping you on your farm. I quite liked this feature as you have such a wide choice of monsters to tame.
Unlike most Harvest Moon games, the other residents of Trampoli don't only repeat the same stock two phrases each day; if you keep talking to them they might mention something especially interesting, which makes them feel more alive. The residents and potential wives are all diverse and interesting, with some deviations from the traditional character types (especially Selphy the librarian). They help to make the game so compelling.
The village of Trampoli itself is pretty large, with lots of different areas to explore. This, along with the four dungeons available, makes this game pretty big. All of the circumstantial occurrences that happen by being in the right place at the right time (either of which you'd not be able to guess at) characteristic of Harvest Moon games give the game so much depth; you actually don't know when something might happen and how it will affect the game or your relationship with another character. One example of this is the event that results in Tabatha and Bianca staying at the end of summer.
The art style and visuals of this game are maybe one of my favourites on the Wii; I'm a big fan of anime so the character designs appealed to me straight off. The environments are beautiful and very relaxing, and combined with the gentle gameplay, it makes this a good game to wind down with.
In short, this game is very deep, very addictive and very rewarding. It's not really one for gamers that like to 'win', but give it a try, put some time into it, and you might find yourself completely immersed and not wanting to leave.

BIOS Instant Notes in Immunology
BIOS Instant Notes in Immunology
by Peter Lydyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for revision, 26 May 2011
I bought this book when I started an immunology module at uni and realised most of the books in the library were pretty out of date (not what you want in this subject). I had used the BIOS Instant Notes in Molecular Biology book for an earlier module and found it very helpful, so it was the first place to look when I wanted an immunology book for revision. Everything is explained clearly with good diagrams, it doesn't get bogged down with too much detail and as it is not too big it's easy to quickly look something up when you need to. For the price, it's very good value and I'd recommend it to anyone doing a biology-based undergrad degree with a section on immunology.

Summer Wars [DVD]
Summer Wars [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sumiko Fuji

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic film, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Summer Wars [DVD] (DVD)
This film is a joy to watch. The animation is fluid, the style is bright and colourful, and the voice acting is spot on (I haven't watched it with the English dub so I don't know about that). Mamoru Hosoda first interested me in his work with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] (another awesome film) and this film proves his worth. The story is a little silly and melodramatic at times, but it's enjoyable and uplifting. It is a good warning against relying too much on the internet, as when things go wrong it could have dire consequences in the real world. The way Natsuki's family interacts with each other is portrayed extremely well and realistically, and I think families from all over the world would be able to relate to them. You also empathise with Kenji when it becomes clear he's been brought to these strangers' house by a girl who at first isn't very interested in him and doesn't really know him. Although as a character he may not be particularly original (shy, brainy, slightly awkward guy that would do anything for the girl he has a crush on) you end up rooting for him and wanting him to succeed.
The only niggles I have with this film are the weak plot device that results in Kenji going with Natsuki to her family's home and that the relationship between Natsuki and Kenji has no back story. She is supposed to be the most popular girl at school and a year older than Kenji, there is no obvious reason for them to know each other very well, so her picking Kenji for the job is a little unlikely. This, however, doesn't really detract from the story once it gets going.
All in all, this is an excellent film that I could highly recommend to anyone, anime fan or not. And you should definitely keep an eye out for what Hosoda comes out with next.

Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Delicious slimming and anti-ageing secrets
Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Delicious slimming and anti-ageing secrets
by Naomi Moriyama

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 May 2010
I've always been fascinated by Japan and food. When I moved to university and started cooking for myself I actually started to think about the health aspect of food and just how bad our diets are in the West. Stumbleupon brought up a website reviewing this book and I was intrigued. I bought it and read it in a day. It doesn't advocate a ridiculous diet that makes you lose weight fast in an unmaintainable way, but a change in lifestyle. I also found the autobiographical and travel aspects of the book very enjoyable.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
Offered by musicMagpie

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying characters and story, but quite fun nonetheless, 10 Jun. 2009
This is the first Star Ocean game I've played, and although it's a fun game, the story and the characters have been a disappointment for me so far.
The graphics are very good, and the game in general is very pretty. Cut scenes can be quite long, but that doesn't bother me much usually, except I found the characters extremely annoying (and very unoriginal) and the writing is painfully bad at times. However, it is good for a laugh if you're playing it with other people around who know the RPG stereotypes and can laugh at them. People who aren't acquainted with games like this will find parts of this one a bit odd (e.g. my mum; she was very alarmed when a female character with an unfeasibly large chest and very little costume appeared until I explained characters like that are pretty much par for the course).
Overall: pretty good fun but don't expect anything original.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2009 4:59 PM GMT

Converse Unisex-Adult Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi Trainers Black, 4 UK
Converse Unisex-Adult Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi Trainers Black, 4 UK
Offered by Min-Limited
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 21 May 2009
I wear them everyday, and I love them. My last pair lasted me 5 years with very regular use.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Hosoda

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fab!, 11 Mar. 2009
I was in HMV (sorry Amazon) when I saw this film. I was wandering near the anime section, trying not to look too close (I'm a student and have no money) when this film just jumped out at me, and after a cursory glance I bought it.
I then watched it 5 times in the next two weeks. I raved about it to anyone that cared to listen and forced my family and friends to watch it (even those not interested in anime). I e-mailed friends at other unis, having to make up words such as 'fabtastical' to explain its awesomeness. They loved it, I love it. Buy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2010 3:22 PM BST