Profile for Dr. T. M. Wakeley > Reviews

Content by Dr. T. M. Wakeley

Dr. T. M. Wakeley (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy in the mash tun at last., 14 Mar. 2013
I use this to help me calibrate and adjust mash temperatures when homebrewing. Compared to my old glass thermometer it is much more accurate and now I can control the mash temperature accurately and produce the beers I have designed without any surprises (my old thermometer was mis-reading by 2 degrees which led to some thinner beers than I had planned).

Burco MFCT1030 (444440353) Cygnet Water Boiler, Manual Fill, 30 L
Burco MFCT1030 (444440353) Cygnet Water Boiler, Manual Fill, 30 L
Offered by Delightful-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for homebrewing, 14 Mar. 2013
I bought this to make beer in. I had some concerns about it holding a rolling boil, but these proved unfounded. I had to drill out the back of the tap inorder to fit my hop filter, but that was no hardship. All in all I'm very pleased, it's a nice upgrade on my old HDPE plastic boiler (but I should say that it has a 2.5kW element not 3kW as advertised).

A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective series Book 1)
A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Transported me to another time, 22 Jan. 2013
I like to read fiction at the end of the day to help me wind down. I find this happens best when a book is able to transport me to another place or time and, in this respect, 'A Bespoke Murder' fitted the bill perfectly. The characters were well-drawn for the most part and the story flowed well. I liked it so much that I bought the sequel and I'm looking forward to reading more about the adventures of Harvey Marmion and Joe Keedy in subsequent novels.

Salter Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales - Stylish Silver Platform / Black Design Electronic Cooking Scale Appliance for Home and Kitchen, Weigh Food with Accurate Precision up to 5kg + Aquatronic Feature for Liquids in ml and fl. Oz. 15 Year Guarantee

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a 2-in-1, 7 Jan. 2013
I am a keen homebrewer. This means I need to be able to accurately weigh up to 5kg of grain and as little as 10g of hop flowers. For years I've used small diet scales for the latter and standard kitchen scales for the former. No more! With these electronic scales I can weigh both grain and hops with superb accuracy so, for me, they are a genuine 2-in-1 product. I even calibrated them using standard objects of known weight and found them to be pretty much spot on. I'm very impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 4:58 PM BST

Inline Shower Water Filter x1 - Filters Lime and Chlorine For Healthier Hair And Skin

4.0 out of 5 stars More comfortable skin!, 7 Jan. 2013
Each time I shower my skin dries up and I spend the rest of the day itching. I was dubious that a simple charcoal filter would solve the issue, but I have to admit that it's done the job. It's relatively cheap to buy, but it's a bit bulky. It fits between the shower head and the hose, so it puts quite a bit of weight on the shower head holder; mine seems to be able to cope - so far... I expected a drop-off in water pressure but this was insignificant for my system (which runs at mains pressure). I've had it for one month to date and I think the effectiveness of the filter has diminished (much like my Brita drinking water filter), but replacement cartiridges are fairly cheap to buy. On the whole I'd say that the filter is good value and of all the options I could find it was certainly the cheapest option, if not the most elegant aesthetically.

Ghost in the Machine (DC Scott Cullen Crime Series Book 1)
Ghost in the Machine (DC Scott Cullen Crime Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality contribution to the police procedural genre, 8 Nov. 2012
After a bit of a slow start I found myself enjoying this story more and more. Some of the plot details revolve around using a social networking website, but the author did a good job of keeping the technical bits comprehensible. The central character (Scott Cullen) was fairly well drawn and developed nicely as the story progressed. My biggest issue was with Cullen's boss, Bain, who seemed too incompetent and intransigent in the face of emerging evidence to be very convincing. There again, I've seen the Peter Principle (in many organisations people get promoted one level beyond their competence) in action at several places I've worked, so I've no reason to believe that the Police Force is any different! Overall, I liked the book so much I've just bought the second in the series, 'Devil in the Detail', and I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters and their relationships evolve.

Loft Flooring Legs 175mm Insulation Spacer - 48 Pack
Loft Flooring Legs 175mm Insulation Spacer - 48 Pack
Offered by Transtools

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and practical solution to flooring an insulated loft space, 11 Oct. 2012
I recently had my loft space lagged to the government-recommended depth. This left me needing to build a raised floor in order to put all my junk back up there! After a bit of research I came across these legs. Along with seven 2400mm by 600mm by 22mm loft boards (from Wickes) and a box of 300, no.8, 1.25inch screws I had the job done in a total of about 8 hours. Lovely! The resulting platform is very sturdy, is the perfect height to sit over the insulation without compressing it, and it takes the weight of two adults easily. I think these legs are tested to a weight of 500kg (a claim made on the manufacturer's website - [...]) but, as stated in the leaflet in the box, the real-world load limit is determined by the strength of your ceiling joists, and the standard advice is a load no heavier than 50kg per square metre. I've placed mine on joists which rest on load-bearing brick walls, so I'm happy to go much heavier. The alternative to using these legs was to lay wooden beams across the joists at right angles, but since that would involve cutting my freshly fitted lagging the Loftlegs offered a more elegant solution. The only very minor niggle with them is the need to drill 4 holes in their base for the screws (for me this meant a total of 136 holes). Not a big issue really, and the makers have moulded them in such a way that the drill bit sits exactly where the holes are needed, so it's very easy to do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2012 1:19 PM GMT

Tamrac 5627 Pro-Digit Zoom 7 - Black
Tamrac 5627 Pro-Digit Zoom 7 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 'day-trip' holster for my Canon 5D mk II and 24-105 lens, 26 April 2012
I own several camera bags for my 5D mk II, but all of them are quite large/bulky (and full of grads, alternative lenses, remote triggers etc.) which discourages me from taking the camera on short trips. This bag is the perfect solution for me. It fits the camera and attached EF 24-105L IS (with lens hood reversed) well - I suspect a slightly longer lens could be accommodated. That said, I don't use the front pocket for holding my polarizing filter (in its box) as I noticed it reduced the internal space at the narrow end of the holster and caused the lens to extend each time I pulled the camera out. Luckily the zipped pocket in the lid is plenty big enough to hold the filter, a cleaning cloth and a spare memory card, so problem solved. It is very comfortable to carry slung over a shoulder making the heavy camera + lens combo no burden at all. In short, this bag has made the camera much more portable on day trips and I've found myself taking it along without hesitation. The protection provided by the bag is fairly good and, for my purposes, perfectly adequate. Given that I paid half-price for this, it's an excellent and cost-effective solution to my day-trip problem.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 26 April 2012
A neat and simple solution to the 7-pin into 13-pin socket problem. A quality item, which has worked flawlessly on a number of trips with my trailer to date. I definitely recommend it.

TeckNet 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Headband Vibration Gaming Headset Over-Ear Headphone With Microphone For PC Computer Gaming, USB Connection
Offered by VoxonStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value protection, 3 Feb. 2012
I am very happy with this case. It is sturdy enough to protect my iPad when it's crammed into my biefcase with books and other sundry items, and it looks pretty stylish as well. The magnetic sleep/wake sensor works well and the stand feature is simple, although it's no use for portrait orientation (I wasn't tempted to splurge another £10 on a different case to obtain this). I liked it so much I bought one for my mother-in-law (although hers has a slightly different design with respect to the stand).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3