Profile for Alan > Reviews

Content by Alan

Alan "Alan" (Edinburgh United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Alien Covenant [Blu-ray] [2017]
Alien Covenant [Blu-ray] [2017]

2.0 out of 5 stars Not So Great Scott, 14 May 2017
Prometheus was far from perfect, but what did work was the mysteries it alluded to around the creation of humans, the involvement of the engineer race, and an ending that demanded a sequel. Unfortunately, Covenant dispenses with this intrigue throughout the course of it's first half, and replaces it with a retread of parts of Alien and Aliens. The characters are weaker, frequently act in a stupid manner to propel the plot, and have some pretty poor expository dialogue. The result is a film that neither satisfies the curiosity of the origin aspect, or lives up to the previous examples of the original horror series. Fassbender is watchable, and the opening showed some promise, but this is a disappointing film.

Spigen Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Tempered Glass / 2 Pack / 9H Hardness for Nintendo Switch 2017 (R01GL21523)
Offered by Spigen

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned - Faulty, 9 May 2017
I have used Spigen protectors on my iPhone for a long time now; you usually get a perfect fit and at least 6 months life. These Switch ones however were both faulty. On installation, there was a swirl mark at the bottom centre on both occasions - not caused by dust, and the switch screen is perfect, appeared to be a flaw in the protectors. Installation is also more difficult to avoid bubbles given the size, however I would have persevered with getting these out but for the flaws described. I will be returning to Amazon.

Oxford Black n' Red A4 Glossy Wirebound Hardback Notebook, 5 mm Square Ruled, Perforated 140 Pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great quality. I gave mine to my older son for his maths, and it has taken any of the inks with which he has covered it in Pokemon drawings with no issues, none of them showing through to the reverse. The exterior hardbacks have shrugged off his drops and scrapes and this item is deserving of it's mid point price tag.

House of Marley EM-JA012-SB Riddim Signature Bluetooth Speaker - Black/Bamboo
House of Marley EM-JA012-SB Riddim Signature Bluetooth Speaker - Black/Bamboo

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Speaker, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will put a few pointers on use here, as the included instructions are no more than a few icons and (2 year) warranty information. The buttons + and - control the volume, holding them down for a couple of seconds skips tracks back and forward. The bluetooth button doubles as Play/Pause when music is playing; and receive/end when a call comes in. Pairing via bluetooth is easy and the speaker was found immediately by our phones and tablets after turning on. To access the charging port you pull the leather handle off on the underside - it is held on by a magnet.

Now in use, the speaker provides much louder sound than I was expecting, and a reasonable level of bass for a small speaker. I personally found the quality a little muddy and lacking some definition in mid-range, but tinkering with the equaliser I was able to find an acceptable profile, and if you're not an audiophile I think you'll find it perfectly acceptable.

Battery life is good. The item is light enough to be portable in a bag, but heavy enough to feel well made. It is a surprisingly tactile and attractive item for a speaker, the branding appears female focused but the item isn't girly at all. One weak spot, is the charging connection is a micro-USB one that appears a little stiff and I'm not a big fan on them on something that needs charged frequently. The ability to receive calls with an in-built mic is a nice bonus and works very well - no issues at all hearing the person using the speaker. You can apparently connect two of these at once, but I'm not sure if there will be many people willing to carry two of these about.

The item is relatively expensive but the sound quality is better than many cheaper bluetooth speakers and it's definitely a nicer item. I'd like to see better instructions available online at least, and I will update the review if we have any issues with the charging connection.

RED WAGON Boy's Quilted Borg Knit, Grey, 4 Years
RED WAGON Boy's Quilted Borg Knit, Grey, 4 Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice item, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son loves this. Very soft inside material, keeps him cosy and warm on a breezy Spring day when it looks warmer than it really is, means he doesn't bother with his jacket. A nice finish with no flaws. Other reviewers have found it big, but I don't agree - my son is a small 4.5 year old, barely a metre, and the 4yo size is a really nice fit - not too big but enough growing room to last a little while. Can't fault it.

Stella Artois Limited Edition Chalice, Cambodia
Stella Artois Limited Edition Chalice, Cambodia

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An absolutely gorgeous glass, fine weight and nice detail, perfect for my occasional cider at night. Not a big fan of Stella, but fair play in this instance for ensuring a good cause is supported, reserved without hesitation.

Silentnight Superwash Pillow - Pack of 2
Silentnight Superwash Pillow - Pack of 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad value option, 30 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially soft and supportive, I sleep on my side and found one of these comfortable enough though my normally I would go with a firmer pillow. They lose a little shape after washing, and a little height, I am having to puff up the pillow before sleeping now - so they have definitely lost a little bounce. They haven't triggered any allergies. For the low price, they present decent value if you prefer a softer pillow and are on a budget.

L'Oreal Elvive Phytoclear Anti Dandruff Greasy Hair Shampoo 500ml
L'Oreal Elvive Phytoclear Anti Dandruff Greasy Hair Shampoo 500ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Dry scalp after use, 9 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't enjoy this product, it leaves my scalp dry after use, which is counter productive, and my hair actually feels a little greasy. It doesn't smell all that great either. I wouldn't use it again.

SanDisk iXpand (MFI) 32 GB USB Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad
SanDisk iXpand (MFI) 32 GB USB Flash Drive for iPhone and iPad

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with one reservation, 9 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No issues here with reading or writing and the Apple connector is a real bonus.

Concern here is the exposed lightning connector. While it has half a slot to sit in, any pressure on the device (eg. sitting on it) is going to put pressure against one of the weakest parts of the design. Really it is over-engineered, and I'd have preferred a simpler design with a cap. It does work well though, and so long as it's going to be looked after I'd recommend it if you need this particular dual connectivity solution.

Burt's Bees Radiance Eye Ceam, 14g
Burt's Bees Radiance Eye Ceam, 14g

1.0 out of 5 stars Apply with caution, 9 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do have sensitive skin and suffer occasional eczema, however most skin care products I've tried don't cause an issue. Not the case with this, which caused a burning sensation when applied. I have since had an eczema outbreak around my eyes, this may or may not be due to this product, however it certainly didn't help. My wife also used the product, she has much better skin than I. She said the product felt nice when applied however made no difference to her skin lines after 2 weeks. I've just gone back to simple stuff like oilatum or epiderm for moisturising my face. Hopefully your mileage varies, but didn't work for us.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10