Profile for Andy Capp > Reviews

Content by Andy Capp

Andy Capp (Nottingham)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Vault: (A Wexford Case)
The Vault: (A Wexford Case)
by Ruth Rendell

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed reading this book, the plot was good, 7 Nov. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book, the plot was good and I imagined all the places in London that Wexford walked to.

I imagined his conversations with his colleague in the force and I thought the characters were good as well.

I was surprised when Wexford's daughter was attacked but this is the element of a crime novel - surprise.

When I was reading the book I got the impression that Wexford although retired really misses the force.

A good read and a good book from Ruth Rendell.

Agatha Raisin and Kissing Christmas Goodbye
Agatha Raisin and Kissing Christmas Goodbye
by M.C. Beaton

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed Kissing Christmas Goodbye by M C Beaton, 19 Jan. 2011
I really enjoyed Kissing Christmas Goodbye by M C Beaton, as you know Agatha Raisin has been portrayed by Penelope Keith on Radio 4 and as I read the dialogue from Agatha I could imagine Penelope Keith's voice.

Agatha is a no nonesense detective and I thought young Toni was very good too.
I thought Agatha to be well organised and she can stick up for herself.

The plot was very good, it was quick and as its the first Agatha Raisin book I've read I hope to read more. A good book.

Bad Luck And Trouble: (Jack Reacher 11)
Bad Luck And Trouble: (Jack Reacher 11)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child I think was OK, 14 July 2010
Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child was OK but I felt that character wise it was too crowded, one minute someone said something followed by another contribution from another character and I got confused at times. Loved the opening sequence I could imagine the scene about the guy being thrown from the plane.

On the plus side I think Jack Reacher is a great character and a no nonesense tough guy and he really works hard.

Loved the descriptions of the motorways, could imagine fast traffic and I would presume motorways well lit at night.

I could imagine Reacher walking into a building and everyone would look at him in awe.

From a writing point of view I think Lee Child is a great writer and I hope to read more of his work.

There is definitely a lot of scope for Reacher in future books and I know I will enjoy them when I come across them.

Well done Lee all the best.

High Hopes: My Autobiography
High Hopes: My Autobiography
by Ronnie Corbett

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this book was a very interesting read, 16 Jan. 2010
I think this book was a very interesting read, as I read there were things I didn't know about Ronnie Corbett even though I'd seen him on TV.

This book was obviously written before Ronnie Barker died and Ronnie Corbett obviously thinks a lot of his pal which I think was very nice.

Ronnie mentioned his wife Ann in the book, I have seen her on TV but I didn't know she had been a dancer.

As I used to watch The Two Ronnies and enjoyed it, I think it was interesting when Ronnie took the reader behind the scenes of the making of the show.

I would have liked to have seen some photographs in Ronnie's autobiography which unfortunately weren't there but having said that I really enjoyed reading the book.

Nice to see you! The Bruce Forsyth Story
Nice to see you! The Bruce Forsyth Story
by Stephanie Pinter

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book about Bruce Forsyth from Stephanie Pinter, 16 Jan. 2010
A great book about Bruce Forsyth from Stephanie Pinter. I'm a fan of Bruce Forsyth and I think he's always done good programmes on TV.

As regards the book I think Stephanie Pinter took the reader on a journey about Bruce Forsyth and it was really interesting. The highs and lows of his long career were featured in the book and I think it was an interesting read.

I liked it because the book took you from Bruce's successful stint at Sunday night at the London Palladium through to the many game shows and of course the highly successful Strictly Come Dancing.

If you are a fan of Bruce Forsyth, you'll love this book and of course Bruce wrote his own autobiography entitled Bruce and that was great.

I hope that Stephanie Pinter writes about other stars, it would make for an interesting read.

The Crossing Places: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1
The Crossing Places: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1
by Elly Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Elly Griffiths is a new writer to me but I enjoyed this book, 16 Jan. 2010
Elly Griffiths is a new writer to me but I enjoyed this book. The main character was Ruth Galloway who had an interest in archaeology and I think Elly Griffiths is great at description.

I could imagine Saltmarsh, the storm that Ruth was in when trying to get out of the clutches of someone who when I first read about him had a charming influence but then his true colours were revealed later on in the story.

I liked Ruth as a character because she was obviously very clever in the field of archaeology and I liked the fact that she was a fan of Radio 4 which as people know can have a literary feel to their output in programming.

I hope that Ruth Galloway appears again in another case, I look forward to reading it and all success to Elly Griffiths.

Just Me
Just Me
by Sheila Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Just Me (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book by Sheila Hancock, all the places she travelled to, I believe the reader is on that travel journey.

Provence sounded very nice and telling us about Milan I thought was great.

Of course Sheila had appeared on the BBC 2 programme called WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE and that was real good television. So as I read about Milan and Bexleyheath I could picture in my mind all these things that had been featured in the BBC 2 programme.

As you know Sheila's husband was the actor John Thaw who appeared in a lot of programmes and I thought he was a brilliant actor.

Sheila has many talents and I hope that she will write another book very soon.

I've given the book five stars I think it deserves a lot more than that and for anyone who has not read the book then you are in for a good read.

One word sums it up - Fantastic and all the best to Sheila.

Cold In Hand: (Resnick 11)
Cold In Hand: (Resnick 11)
by John Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from John Harvey, 23 Jan. 2009
A great read from John Harvey, I thought the plot was fast paced and I could imagine all the places in Nottingham as well.

Very surprised about the character Lynn Kellogg but as I've said before that is the nature of any crime novel - surprises.

I thought the characters Bill Berry and Mike Ramsden were very good and I could imagine the interviews at the police station, the looks on the suspect's faces and also the necessary hard grilling from the detectives concerned.

I thought the character Karen Shields was very good, a tough no nonsense member of the police force.

Charlie Resnick has appeared in ten novels and as it said in the book he has done thirty years service and Resnick didn't know whether he wanted to return to work - given his circumstances in the novel I don't think he will return, it would be great if John Harvey gave Charlie another outing but I don't know its up to John.

A good read and if you are a Resnick fan you will certainly enjoy it.

Well done John.

Dying to Sin (Cooper and Fry Crime Series, Book 8)
Dying to Sin (Cooper and Fry Crime Series, Book 8)
by Stephen Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Stephen, 15 Jan. 2009
Another great book from Stephen, his books just get better and better. I think he is fantastic at describing things throughout the book. I could imagine the state of Pity Wood Farm, I won't spoil it for anyone that has not read it but there are a few surprises which are to be expected in a crime novel.

The relationship between Fry and Cooper is very tense and I think this is because Diane Fry makes it so.

Towards the end of the book Cooper and Fry were in danger and I thought that Diane got very close to Ben I still think there is a certain chemistry there.

I loved DS Branagh and in the book there is some dialogue between Fry and this tough lady so I wonder if Fry has met her match.

I don't know whether this book has won a Crime Award but I hope it does.

Well done Stephen and thanks for a great read.

The Grave Tattoo
The Grave Tattoo
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars A great read from Val McDermid, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Grave Tattoo (Paperback)
A great read from Val McDermid, the book had an historical content which I found very interesting. Jane the main character delving into Wordsworth's past and for those who read about Wordsworth the mention of Dove Cottage.

There was also crime in the novel, wayward girl Tennille Cole setting fire to a flat and also getting on the bus to go to Fellhead and then walking across rough terrain and having to sleep rough in a barn.

DI Rigston was a very tough detective and as I read I could imagine the interview room and Jane being interrogated by Rigston.

Yes I really enjoyed reading THE GRAVE TATTOO by Val who writes other good novels as well.

Val did her research into the novel very well and I recommend the book to anyone who has not read it.

Well done Val.