Profile for J. E. White > Reviews

Content by J. E. White

J. E. White "Lucy's mum" (East Yorkshire, UK)

After Christmas Sale Library Pendant "Time to Read" - Literary Necklace Key - Gift for Librarian - Gift for Reader - Books - Gift for Book Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good quality for the price, 19 Feb. 2017
bought these as stocking fillers and they went down a storm, look much more expensive than they were! Really cute, would recommend.

Kipling Women's Brownie Wallet, Red (REF33U Dazz Red), 19x10x3 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling Women's Brownie Wallet, Red (REF33U Dazz Red), 19x10x3 cm (B x H x T)
Offered by The Necessity

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 19 Feb. 2017
Love it, an excellent purse has tons of organisation, really good quality as you would expect from Kipling and at a super bargain price, I am extremely chuffed x

NY London Men's Ladies Metal Rose Gold Coloured Nurse Doctor Paramedic Tunic Brooch Watch
Offered by Mayflower Stores

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 19 Feb. 2017
horrible, cheap and nasty, straight in the junk draw :-(

A Good and Useful Hurt
A Good and Useful Hurt

5.0 out of 5 stars but a really good read., 17 May 2015
slightly bizarre, but a really good read.

Set of Mini Buddhas
Set of Mini Buddhas
Offered by The Gardeners Shop UK

3.0 out of 5 stars just as expected, 20 Oct. 2013
Bought these for fitting into the pockets of an advent calendar (I know its ironic, buddha doesn't have anything to do with Christmas) they look very small and cheap which is exactly what they were. Very cute though and a great fit for a pocket.

Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 1)
Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 1)
by Derek Landy

5.0 out of 5 stars for a blissfully peaceful half-term!, 24 Oct. 2007
I bought this for my eleven year old daughter on Monday and haven't heard a squeak out of her since! Its now Wednesday afternoon and I fear she has lost the power of speech. Seriously though, Lucy thinks this is fantastic, she's almost finished it which means it must have been blooming good as she has been known to abandon books half way through if they're not very gripping. Now she's just got to wait till April for the next one.

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan

1.0 out of 5 stars A LOAD OF GUSHING GUFF, 25 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
I had saved this for a special 'treat' read as it had done so well in reviews, plus, I really wanted to read it before going to see the film which has also received lots of positive press.
I wish I hadn't bothered.
It was such a lot of wordy pretentious drivel, I had to really force myself to finish it, then wished I'd spent the time doing something more worthwhile, like de-fleaing the dog!.
It reminded me of the type of over-long, angst-ridden and truly dreadful poetry me and my mates used to write as teenagers! What a lot of tosh. Hated it!
In fact, I disliked it so much that I'm not even going to bother with the film now.

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars HEART-ACHINGLY GOOD, 25 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
I bought this book along with a few others for the summer and read them in no particular order. I read this first and absolutely loved it! It is one of those easy to read but heart-achingly good stories that just keeps you turning pages. I know some have found the conclusion a little predictable and it wasn't exactly a bombshell revelation for me either, but, I don't think that mattered, it was just a pleasure to read. One of the other books I'd set aside for summer reading was 'Atonement' but after reading The House at Riverton I thought it paled by comparison.The fluid language and great detail made Atonement seem full of pretentious waffle!

The Great Big Glorious Book for Girls
The Great Big Glorious Book for Girls
by Rosemary Davidson

4.0 out of 5 stars get a life!, 25 Sept. 2007
I think some of the previous reviewers are just taking themselves far too seriously! I bought this for my 11-year old and she loved it, she was easily mature enough to 'get' the humour and I think most of her friends of a similar age are too. The book is entertaining and funny and I think most girls these days are savvy enough to realize it's tongue in cheek.