Profile for Yestermoro > Reviews

Fargo - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
Fargo - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Billy Bob Thornton

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV show of the year, 12 Sept. 2015
I was sceptical about a remake/reboot of the Fargo movie. But without doubt Fargo was the best thing I watched all year. A lot of True Detective talk (and S1 WAS amazing of course), but Fargo was more surprising, inventive and wonderfully delivered. Moments of narrative / structural genius that simply made me gasp at the craft. Brilliant TV.

PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer
PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me immediately, 12 Sept. 2015
There's obviously a mix of experiences here, but we had a fox or a cat destroying our new sleeper beds and dropping everywhere. It became a real problem we'd sort of let go in the old, unloved garden. So I set this up - pretty random with the settings (mid-point on both dials) and it seems to have worked immediately! Hugely impressed. My wife's not a fan of it clicking away when we're in the garden, but I guess you can move it in the day.

Dead Man [DVD]
Dead Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Just4-U-Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane - the soundtrack is outstanding!, 6 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Dead Man [DVD] (DVD)
I could write for hours about this film, but I'll spare you and state that the Neil Young soundtrack is an outstanding feature of this movie. Moving, haunting, violent (yes, it's loud and invasive - watch the fim, it is perfect!), and most of all as brutally beautiful as the film itself. I'm no Neil Young fan - but this is no simple Neil Young song.

Depp is outstanding in a cast enjoying evey poetic line. Jarmucsh's best.

Seeing
Seeing
by Josť Saramago

4.0 out of 5 stars You should go blind before you see..., 27 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Seeing (Paperback)
A sequel of sorts to Blindness, I would recommend you read that book first, as, while not vital to the plot's enjoyment, it certainly embellishes the sparsely illustrated back story and gives a clearer idea of just how bad things got four years previous to (and referenced throughout) this novel's chronology.

Saramago is a challenging writer; his insistence upon endless prose with little to no puntuation, and a refusal to give names to characters, let alone use the conventions of paragraphs and speech marks for dialogues, all add up to a slower, more arduous read - but perhaps a more detailed and careful one for that.

The story is as outlined, but I would say that I disagree with the other reviewer, insomuch that I felt the second half was plot driven as the first, rather it becomes a slightly different plot - an investigation. The story moves from macro-study to micro-study, but throughout, as with Blindness, concerns itself with the paranoia of power and the desperate, despicable methods invoked to maintain power and control.

Personally, I enjoyed Seeing more than Blindness, but that is mainly because Blindess is a far more harrowing read, not that Seeing is the better novel. Seeing shows us the folly and weakness of those in power - something one can examine with a degree of (powerless?) complacency; Blindness holds a bleached mirror up to each and every one of us and terrifies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2010 11:50 AM BST

Kicking Television, Live in Chicago
Kicking Television, Live in Chicago

4.0 out of 5 stars A good anthology for beginners, but a good live album...?, 12 April 2006
Ok, I can barely begin to believe I'm going to be remotely derogatory of Jeff and the boys. I own all the Wilco albums, love both Loose Fur subsiduarys, adore Mermaid Avenue, even like The Minus Five, and I bought Kicking Television without blinking. But, I kinda wish I had...

Don't get me wrong - this is an excellent collection of songs, a splendid introduction for a newcomer to the band, but as live albums go - maybe it's a throwback from my teen rock days - but I expect a bit more energy and interest from a Live Album.

Another way of putting it: I found myself wondering what the point was. Wilco are tight and professional, album tight in fact. Those mad meandering guitar solos that made Ghost is Born at first difficult then joyous to bear - they're there live - unaltered. And the improvised 'jazz' feel is gone. If ever there was a time to test the limits (which it seems to me Wilco are all about on their albums) then surely live is where the magic kicks off? Nope. It's solid. It's good, great even, but worth committing to disc in double CD form?

Yes - I can hear the outcry: "Are you mad? Via Chicago, dude! The titular track! I Am Trying To Break Your Heart! They're great!"

Sorry, but Via Chicago is the only interesting deviation from the album versions, the only sign of a band pushing themselves and their audience. The rest of it - it's there, it's great, but it ain't NEW.

Nor does the album contain much personality from the band. Jeff Tweedy is a great frontman and is an etertaining speaker between songs. But here there are brief asides of moderate amusement. Again - not good enough to gain the praise and awe others have granted it here.

It's a compilation. A best of. And it's good. But as a Live Album - it fails to reach the imaginative heights expected of Wilco.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 8:39 PM BST

A River Ain't Too Much To Love
A River Ain't Too Much To Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad and hopeful, slow and deep, 4 April 2006
I had heard very little Smog prior to picking up this album: a few tunes off Dongs of Sevotion, but not a lot else. And becasue of that the first listen came as a shock. Very slow, very deep-voiced, very abstract... Not normally my bag at all. But I listened again. And again. And agai... well, you get the picture.
Maybe it's just me, but I continue to find this album a contemplative and meditative joy. Every song (with the exception of the tonal departure of Mother of the World) is beautiful, poderous and measured. Every song contains a thought worthy of thinking and thinking further. The album gives and gives, gently and teasingly, perhaps like the rivers that haunt and inhabit almost every song.
'Let me see the colts that will run next year. Show them to a gambling man thinking of the future.' A simple couplet that slow smoulders with the gentle folly of man. And the album is packed with that kind of subtlety. Maybe not for all people, and maybe a departure from the previous Smog catalogue, but, for me, the album is like a journey home through sunless green countryside. Beautiful and sad.
Lastly I'll mention the 'In The Pines' cover. It couldn't be further from Kurt Cobain's harrowed interpretation (which I love), but it couldn't be better for it. Smog's version is the one I find myself singing these days. Maybe it's another reminder that I'm crawling up the ladder of my 30s...?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2010 8:27 AM BST

Dust
Dust
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and already dated, 26 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Dust (Audio CD)
This album received some pretty saucy reviews around the time of it's release and, though never having heard any back catalogue, I took the plunge as it sounded like the new 'UNKLE' or the like. Unfortunately it was more like the old 'UNKLE' and below that par by some way.
Essentially Muggs has taken the Psyence Fiction template and more or less copied the format, with no more inspiration to the songs either. You name it DJ Shadow did it 4 or 5 years ago and did it better.
This is not to say that it's awful. There are some good tracks, (particularly the track featuring Everlast), but ultimately any favour these songs might find soon fades with repeated listening as the 'faux deep' lyrics show their true vapidity once the novelty wears off; and considering music technology's advances there has been no evolution in the last 5 years as far as I can tell from this album.
If you're looking for something meaty in this genre of eclectic trip-hop breakbeat then go for DJ Shadow's work over this. But if you don't really listen to music then this is a passable soundtrack to your day.