Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Secrets of Our Living Planet [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Chris Packham
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical BBC in the best sense!, 1 Oct. 2012
I've lost track of the amount of BBC documentaries we own, and each one never fails to please. They are entertaining, educational, and well researched! And unlike American documentaries that I have had in the past, those from BBC neither insult my intelligence nor prove that I know more about the subject than the research department of said production. I'm a fan of BBC docs, and wait with bated breath for the next one!

Ancient Civilisations The Vikings [DVD]
Ancient Civilisations The Vikings [DVD]
Offered by Hospiscare Shops Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait for a BBC version, 30 Mar. 2012
Wow. Where do I start? Reading the product description, you'd expect, as I did, an in-depth, information-rich documentary. But that's it. The product description goes into about as much depth as the actual 3-DVD set, which they could have easily fit onto one DVD as its total running time is approx. 2-1/4 hours, and any interesting topic they approach is skimmed over faster than a Norse longship across the waves. And, I will admit it - I know more about the Norse culture than the producers of this American "documentary" do (I honestly found myself wondering if they had intentionally "dumbed it down"). Not only didn't I learn anything, but I found myself at several points talking to the tele, correcting their clichéd errors and modern passification of the pirate terrors of the Viking period... it wasn't named, after all, for them being nice trading partners and farmers. Oh, and I should also mention the classic "hook before the commercial break" commentary bits left in to annoy the DVD viewer...
If you want REAL, accurate information about Vikings, I would suggest "The Hammer and the Cross" by Robert Ferguson, who actually knows what he's writing about. Hopefully BBC will take it upon themselves to come out with their usual top-notch work on this topic; I'll be the first to buy it.

Old Rose and Silver (Classic Reprint)
Old Rose and Silver (Classic Reprint)
by Myrtle Reed

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, 10 Sept. 2011
The novel follows the lives of Rose and her widowed Aunt, Madame Francesca Bernard, along with young visitor and cousin Isabel, whose lives are changed by the return of an old friend and neighbour Colonel Kent, and his grown son, Allison. Other characters that help shape their lives in significant ways are the Crosby twins, unconventional and uninhibited youths that set society at naught, and an unconventional doctor who specializes in the impossible. Through the limited "wide-scope" descriptions the reader is not sure of the historical setting or even in which decade it's set, but it helps to understand the focus of the story; after all it's about their own little world, and how their own hearts and lives fit together in the tight confines of their town, their garden, their friendships and lives. [Taken from my Wikipedia review.]

Jewel of the Mind
Jewel of the Mind
by Michael C Rudasill

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Reactions, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Jewel of the Mind (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book; while it's a good read and I found myself caring about the characters, it struck me again and again (and again) as a manuscript that could have been so much better, had the author / editors fine-tuned it more. There are often phrases or even words that ripped me out of the story, jarring me with their modern slang or simply the wrong word (e.g. catwalk instead of rampart of a castle). And while I know the balance is hard to find between the action scenes and the romantic plot line, I was shocked at the end - the romantic plot is summarized as in depth as a single olive tossed into a swimming pool-sized salad. And if that strikes you as an odd metaphor, try reading the book.
The product description is a bit misleading: The young prince's capture has nothing to do with the invasion of the Danes into England; the two plots only cross half-way into the story. But as sword fights, dragons, torture, betrayal and true love go, it's got a bit of everything.
I would recommend the book as a good weekend read - no great depth of thought required, just a frothy romp through the Viking Era.

Bright Craft Buttons (425g)
Bright Craft Buttons (425g)
Offered by Baby Craft

2.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic quality, 9 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Bright Craft Buttons (425g) (Toy)
If you like clipping, filing and chipping away plastic bits from every single button in this generous-sized package before you're able to use them, by all means do so. They are made of the cheapest plastic available, and no care was taken in quality control. Very disappointing. Don't bother.

Mystery Case Files: RavenHearst (PC CD)
Mystery Case Files: RavenHearst (PC CD)
Offered by TX3-Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 16 Mar. 2011
If you like repetitive games with occasional puzzles to piece together and doors to unlock, this game is for you. Personally, I found it boring; most of the time you're searching through one screen shot for a list of hidden objects; it's a static game, so you're not exploring - you're just being shown a different room. I'm more of a Riven or Mysterious Island type of girl.

More of Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story
More of Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story
by Paul Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Mar. 2011
These stories never fail to be fascinating, surprising, and thought-provoking. Most of the stories, written for radio "blitz" program format, are only 2 pages long, so they're a great bite-sized chunk for reading a bit in bed, or reading with children. Our kids, 11 & 13, couldn't get enough, and wanted to read "just one more"... eight in a row until time was up. Well worth the price, and it will be a book to pick up again and again. Full of great life lessons!

Local Hero [DVD]
Local Hero [DVD]
Dvd ~ Burt Lancaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 14 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Local Hero [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this film years ago, and loving it! But a lot of water has gone under the bridge, so to speak. I've since lived in Scotland, and since become a writer; and so I watched this film last night with a different perspective than all those years ago.
I still find it a charming film, but seen through today's "savy movie-goer" glasses, I realized that it lacks a clear plot, character arc, and has loads of loose ends (the fighter jets are never explained; the connection with the beach "Knox" and the company is never explained, the marine biologist (with webbed feet) is never developed or stated as a clear alternative scheme; the company owner seems to have no real idea what his company's actually planning with the beach, etc.etc.etc.). The scenery is beautiful, but consists of one town on the west coast of Scotland, and one beach from the east coast.
It's the kind of film that, once in your heart, conjurs up lovely images; but for me, those images had little actual connection with the film and more with a place in my memory created by watching it. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is, you'll love it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2012 2:00 AM BST

Life in Georgian England
Life in Georgian England
by E. N. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Marks!, 8 Mar. 2011
This book is one of the most informative I've found on this period of history, covering exactly what the title promises. It covers the cultural, social, political, educational, economic and moral lives of upper to middle to lower classes, and is replete with dozens of black & white illustrations (I picked up a First Edition, 1962 from a charity shop in London, so I can't speak for the illustrations of the '67 version as to whether or not they're tinted or still B&W.) It's entertaining, surprising, and very well-informed. Well worth it!

Life in Georgian Britain (Pitkin guides)
Life in Georgian Britain (Pitkin guides)
by Michael St John Parker

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Lives, 8 Mar. 2011
Before you get excited about this book, check out its length: 32 pages. You can get more information on Wikipedia than in this book. Either the Georgian English lived extremely short lives, or this book isn't worth its own weight.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5