Profile for Horror Reviewer > Reviews

Bone Tomahawk [DVD] [2016]
Bone Tomahawk [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Kurt Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Slow burner but never boring., 9 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Bone Tomahawk [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
If you are a fan of westerns, Kurt Russell or Cannibals then this is the movie for you. I love Kurt Russell movies and went into this expecting something akin to Tombstone but I was wrong. The pacing is very slow like the old westerns but I never felt bored. The acting and storyline keep you riveted. This is a pretty bleak movie and definitely one I'd only recommend to people who enjoy a slow burner movie. If you need fast paced action steer clear but otherwise I suggest you pick it up.

The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016]
The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie for all the family, 9 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
One of the best movies I have watched this year. A great homage to the original movie but more different than I had expected. The music has been removed with only little nods to it here and there. The animation was great and the pacing is excellent. Definitely a film the whole family can watch and enjoy together.

Wind-Up Toy: Broken Plaything
Wind-Up Toy: Broken Plaything
by David Owain Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for Wind Up Toy fans., 8 Aug. 2016
I was looking forward to this one having enjoyed Wind-Up Toy and I wasn't disappointed. Simone is back and crazy as ever. This one is told in flashbacks as he tells a priest his story. We get a lot more background on the main character and as always with Dave's work their is plenty of depravity along the way. There is a lot less killing in this book however, due to it being the story of how our narrator became so broken in the first place. I enjoyed the new characters in this book and if your a fan of the fetish world, Dave seems to cover most of them along the way. The book finished nicely with a great set up for the next book in the series which I believe to be out soon. There is also two little short linked stories at the end of the book. I had read one already in the anthology 'Fifty Shade of Slay' but the other was new to me. The new one is the backstory of Simone's first meeting with Mr Tickles and the rest of his gang. Really enjoyed this one too. An all round good read but I would suggest reading the first book in the series first.

Unearthed
Unearthed

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read if you follow the authors work. A bit short otherwise., 8 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Unearthed (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed both stories in this book but I preferred the Garton/Chizmar collaboration more because it was longer. The Keene/Chizmar story was good too but pretty short. The book is 45 pages but part of this is taken up by Chizmar's explanation of how the book came about. If you are a fan of the authors work I'd definitely suggest reading it. If you just stumbled across it I'd recommend starting with one of their longer works first.

Unger House Radicals
Unger House Radicals
by Chris Kelso

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. This is a strange book., 28 July 2016
This review is from: Unger House Radicals (Paperback)
I had seen this book popping up on Amazon and on Facebook but it really came to my attention just over a week ago when the GingerNutsofHorror review site and two other review sites that I can’t recall just now, listed it in their top five books of the year so far. These guys read a lot of books so a top five even half way through a year is worth checking out.

As usual I went to Amazon and started reading the reviews that were already available on the book. They all seemed pretty positive although they all said it was a bit of a hard read but very rewarding if you made it through. Seemed like a challenge. Anyway, I started the book and quickly got caught up in the story. I’m not going to go over the premise as I’m sure you know that already. What I did find was that it was not written in a conventional style. It has a kind of Leaving Las Vegas/Fight Club, trippy vibe to it. That coupled with the fact that Mr Kelso is clearly a massive fan of the English language means there are probably quite a few words in the book that the most seasoned reader wont have come across before. I would highlight, it’s not a light hearted read for when you need to switch your brain off. You will need to focus when reading and it’s not the type of book you could pick up each night and read a few pages from. I would suggest reading in one or two sittings so you don’t get lost.

The book is beautifully written to the extent that it’s kind of poetic but I do not think it will be everyone’s cup of tea. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey and expect great things to come from Chris in the future. He is definitely one to watch.

I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter: A Demonic Romantic Comedy
I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter: A Demonic Romantic Comedy
by Carlton Mellick III

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from the mad man of horror, 27 July 2016
Really loved this book. Put it off for a while just because it's advertised as a demonic rom-com. I knew it would probably be good because it was Mellick but I just struggled to start it. I shouldn't have waited. It was fantastic. So many great ideas crammed into one book. I could have read another 130 pages with the characters and hope he does a sequel where they spend more time in Hell. This one has no badly drawn comic at the end like the last few I read. Never enjoy the comic's Mellick draws that much but I actually missed it not being there this time. Definitely worth a read.

Love Lies Dead: A Requiem for Love (Razorblade Candies Book 1)
Love Lies Dead: A Requiem for Love (Razorblade Candies Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed my first read by Scott, 19 July 2016
My first read by Kyle M Scott. Really liked it. Nice style of writing and a great story. Looking forward to reading Consumed now.

Man-Eating F*cks: An extreme horror
Man-Eating F*cks: An extreme horror

5.0 out of 5 stars couple that with my growing appreciation of David's work and my love of all things Sawney Bean related and I couldn't ..., 19 July 2016
I am a massive fan of cannibal and crazy family type horror so this book was a must read for me, couple that with my growing appreciation of David's work and my love of all things Sawney Bean related and I couldn't wait to get started.

I'm not going to go over the storyline as it's in the synopsis and I'm sure all the other reviewers will do that anyway. What I will say is I do really enjoy David's style of writing and the characters he creates. His storytelling is fast paced and there’s rarely a dull moment in this one. It had a very eighties feel to it and I think would make a great movie.

I’ve seen others mention the typos and grammar. There are a few mistakes along the way but I can’t remember the last time I read a book that I didn’t see several mistakes in. It didn’t detract from the story for me anyway.

The only criticism I would have is the book is labelled extreme horror and I don’t think it fits that bracket. There is plenty of killing and violence but for me that doesn’t necessarily mean its extreme. That’s just horror. I’ve argued with others in the past about what I feel constitutes extreme and people seem to have varying opinions but I think the authors story Wind Up Toy would fit better into the category than this story.

Whether it’s extreme or not I really loved this one. Hopefully there will be a sequel at some point and I’m looking forward to picking up more by David soon.

Seven Deadly Tales of Terror
Seven Deadly Tales of Terror

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his usual standard, 19 July 2016
I didn't really enjoy this one as much as Smith's longer stuff. I would probably have gave it 3 stars if not for the last story which is a good bit longer than the rest and much stronger in my opinion. The last story is about a third of the book I think and I really enjoyed it and would have gave it five stars so I have evened the collection out at 4 overall. The first six stories were okay to be honest but they felt like they could have been written by anyone. I love Smith's style, it's why I read all his books but it didn't shine through in this one for me.

The Blade Artist
The Blade Artist
by Irvine Welsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect read., 9 May 2016
This review is from: The Blade Artist (Hardcover)
This is one of Welsh's best books in a while. Begbie has always been a favorite character of mine but I wasn't sure if this book would be as good as the books where he was a full blown nutter. It was though. It was exceptional. I enjoyed the journey through Begbies mixed emotions in his new life while back in Leith surrounded by his old cronies. There were a good few familiar faces if you follow the books and plenty of action. I would highly recommend this to anyone whether they are a fan of Irvine's work or not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20