Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Rashika > Reviews

Content by Rashika

Rashika

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands)
Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands)
by Sarah Fine

4.0 out of 5 stars Avoid until the last book comes out., 8 Feb. 2014
Where do I start with this book? Nowhere. My feelings are all over the place. This was one of my most anticipated sequels of 2013 and it took me a while to get around to reading it. I went into this book with high expectations, especially after having my mind blow by Sanctum, and things didn’t work out. Where Sanctum told a story of friendship and loss, Fractured told a story of… teenage drama, until it didn’t. Until the last 20ish percent. By then it is USUALLY too late for a book to redeem itself but Fractured somehow did. I forgot that I had spent the last couple hundred pages in rage. I was biting my nails.. whimpering.. hoping that my beloved characters would get the chance they so badly deserved.

It started off really well. We got introduced to new team members, who had a lot of potential. Malachi and Lela’s relationship kept on getting better and better. The only thing that was bugging me was their sudden popularity boost in school. Until well Malachi had an accident and decided he wanted to cut things off romantically with Lela.

Don’t get me wrong, he had a better reason than most of the teenage guys who try to pull that off. He wanted to be able to concentrate instead of having to worry about her safety all the time. He thought that his feelings for her were affecting his ability to be a good guard and to a certain degree it was true. It pissed me off that he thought he could just turn a switch off and his feelings would go away. It pissed me off that the two of them essentially messed with the feelings of two innocent people that did not deserve it. Lela, at least was honest, Malachi on the other hand.. not so much. How do I stay pissed at him though? How do I when he didn’t actually go out of his way seeking someone else? How do I when he says something like this?

“I believed I would be a better Guard if I felt nothing for you. I was good before I met you, and I wanted that back. It didn’t matter how much it hurt me. I believed I had earned every moment of unhappiness with all my mistakes.” He lifted his fingertip, gazing at the crystal drop in the light. “I’m so sorry for causing you pain, Lela. I’ve missed you every second … the things we had, that we could have had. All the times I could have comforted you. Encouraged you. Touched you.”

I guess that’s why this book ended up redeeming itself, in spite of the what Malachi pulled, in spite of the mess that was their relationship, you could see that the two loved each other. Like really loved each other. It wasn’t some infatuation or obsession. It was just sweet, swoon worthy love.

Henry was a great addition to the team and I probably would have liked Jim if they hadn’t brought Tegan into this mess. I’d rather the humans not be involved. I wanted a badass team of guards who didn’t get into teenage drama. They went to school, played a part but aside from that, that was it. They didn't have relationships with people. They hunted those evil Mazikins. I didn’t want to see Jim fall in love when we all know it was never going to happen. Perhaps I expected a lot more action. With that said, I have to say, we did get plenty, it’s just that the teenage drama made it so hard for me to focus on the sheer awesomeness of the action involved in this book.

The Mazikins are some of the best antagonists ever. Their strategy. Dear god, I absolutely LOVE that twist that Sarah threw in. That was what I had been waiting for and it was one of the other factors that redeemed this book for me. The Mazikins aren’t stupid. They won’t give themselves away. They may be new to this world but they are manipulative and seeing that they’ve been around for a while, they’re PRETTY DAMN CLEVER.

I also have to give the Guards credit. The kids in this book actually understand undercover. They live in a world where kids use technology and things like facebook and texting so yeah these guards will have to learn those little things to fit in with the crowd.

The ending fractured my poor heart (pun intended). Well the moment right before the ending. The ending was a déjà vu of sorts and I am curious to see how things will go.. well less curious and more downright eager because damn people my ship needs an HEA and I want to beg and plead Sarah to tell me if everything is going to be all right but I don’t have the guts to do so.

My final verdict, after quite a bit of pondering, is that this book was enjoyable. It was an action and angst (teenage drama) packed sequel which may have let me down but it was not downright disappointing. I’d advise fans who have read the first book to NOT read this until the 3rd book comes out. Too much heartbreak. Excuse me while I go re-read the ending to the Sanctum to make myself feel better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2017 7:57 AM GMT

Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties)
Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bennett does it again; if you love the 20s definitely give this a shot, 24 Jan. 2014
Jenn may have made me give up my first born child but this book was worth it. Anything Jenn writes is worth it. This woman knows what she is doing. She has yet to disappoint me (TOUCH WOOD). When I started this book, I knew without a doubt I would love it and love it I did.

When I heard that Jenn was writing a series that took place in the 20s I was ecstatic. The 20's are one of my favorite time periods and to know that one of my favorite authors was writing a book that took place during that time...I think you know where I am going with this.

Jenn really did manage to capture the essence of that time though. It was believable; it didn't seem to be just facts. Jenn really brought the time period to life and I was a goner. I have to say though; this series is COMPLETELY different from Arcadia Bell. They may both share a paranormal aspect but the world building and the focus on romance makes the two different from one another.

There is magic involved but it is so different from the kind of magic in Arcadia Bell. It's more down to Earth and less magical if that makes any sense.

I ABSOLUTELY ADORED how Jenn played with Prohibition, she throws us right in the middle of it and makes our male lead a bootlegger. *claps hands* The woman is brilliant I tell you. Winter's life changed two years ago because of a car accident. It left him disfigured and low on self-esteem (he wouldn't admit that last part to you though). He picked himself up though and he carried on. He further built his father's business and became a better boss than his father ever was. When someone tries to poison him with GU and ghosts start attacking him as a result, he enlists the help of the famous medium Aida. Winter is, I cannot help comparing, completely different from Lon (from the Arcadia Bell series). He is a lot more intense and can sometimes be a little dense when it comes to Aida. But he is also passionate and loving and will do anything for the ones he loves. He also wears suspenders (although I suspect all men did in that time period but no one probably pulled them off as well as he did) so he is a winner.

Aida was a strong female, although honestly I thought she might be a flapper before I read the book. I am so glad she wasn't even if I am sad flappers weren't mentioned. Aida was perfect just the way she was. She was a proud woman who isn't ashamed of what she does. She earns a living by travelling around and performing `shows' where she calls back people's loved ones from the dead for one last chat. She is unapologetic and sassy but she is also a survivor, which makes me like her even more.

The best thing about the romance was how it did NOT overshadow the plot. There was quite a bit of focus on it and it didn't just linger in the background but the plot didn't fade into the background because of the intensity of the romance. In fact Jenn managed to make both the plot and the romance shine. The romance did give off insta-attraction vibes but I decided to give it a chance to develop further before forming an opinion and boy was it worth it. The setting makes it even more interesting. There is this sensuality in the romance that makes it so magical. The going to the hotels, the raids, the old fashioned cars/cabs, the calling each other on the old fashioned phones where you would have to get through an operator to connect to the person you are trying to call, it was all wonderful.

The plot, as I mentioned, was well developed. I LOVED the Chinese dark magic, I cannot recall the correct term so don't mind me. I loved the spying. I loved how the mystery unravelled and I loved how I had not thought that that person would be the culprit.

Jenn really did it again with this book. I am a little sad that the series will not continue on with these two characters I have come to love and am not sure how I feel about reading the sequels which will feature other characters but the fact that Astrid and Bo's story, which Jenn told me, is set in the great depression makes me (not so) slightly curious.

I would recommend this to fans of the 20's (like me) and fans of historical romances who would enjoy reading a good romance that doesn't become the life of a book.

Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver Novels (Paperback))
by E Lockhart

4.0 out of 5 stars A great conclusion to an adorable series, 24 Jan. 2014
I have never felt so relieved to finish a series. I LOVED the series but I don't think I could have take another book of Ruby's neuroticness.

Finishing this series makes me feel all grown up. With the end of Ruby's journey and the end of my own approaching, I cannot help but get a little nostalgic.

Ruby was an incredible character and one I will miss but one I am glad got a happy ending. She is a character that most teenage girls can relate to. We all have doubts, we can all be slightly crazy/neurotic, but most of us are genuinely nice if you get to know us. The problems she deals with are real so it's really easy to just relate to her and it helps that she has a great sense of humor so you always end up laughing your ass off.

What I personally love about this series was how it did not romanticize teenage years, it portrayed teenagers realistically. With Rabbit Fever as Ruby so eloquently puts it. They are still growing into their skin, they won't suddenly become mature overnight. It's a long journey to becoming an adult, in fact it's more like a roller coaster ride. There are a lot of ups and downs. Lots of mistakes made.

The one thing that I learnt from this series was how I seriously need to see a shrink.

I am happy that after such a long time I can actually say that a series I loved had a good ending, an ending I approved of, an ending that I wouldn't change, an ending that made me happy. I can bid adieu to this series with a smile on my face and go about seeking my own happy ending (realistically, I'll be making last minute touches on my college applications and getting paranoid about not getting accepted).

Fireblood
Fireblood
by T Wolfe

1.0 out of 5 stars Run while you can, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Fireblood (Paperback)
Warning: Rant Ahead

I believe this is my second DNF review. I really tried to give this book a chance instead of just bailing out but by the time I got to 36% nothing seemed to be working for me. I did not like this book. In fact I made more notes in the 36% I had read than I usually do for an entire book.

Right off the bat the setting is one of my biggest issues. I don't know much about Camelot and while I really like King Arthur's legend, I don't actually know anything about the city so I cannot comment on that but what I can say is that this setting reminds me of why dystopias stopped working for me ages ago (with a couple of exceptions of course). Everything is BLACK AND WHITE. There is good and there is bad and there seems to be no grey in between. What more is the backwardness of the whole situation. I've seen a couple of other books do this and I think it's time to address this issue. Why does the future seem so backward? We've all come so far and personally, I find it hard to imagine that we would turn back to our `Victorian' ways of treating women like crap and all the other things that come along with it. That just doesn't happen. These are humans we are talking about; we are all obsessed with progression. To add to that, let's not forget the whole `learn from past mistakes'. We all know how that worked out in the past don't we? Which is to say it didn't work at all. Don't tell me they don't expect a revolution when that is exactly what happened the last time around.

The main character was a mess. She has been given a so called privilege any girl in this kingdom would want. Let's start with that. So somehow she is the only one who understands the true evil behind this so called honor while the other females are incredibly dim-witted. There could be an explanation later on in the book but there was nothing in the first 36%. Moving on, so again, she is a speshul snowflake and gets chosen by some sort of magic, of course, the prince does explain why he chose her and HOW he chose her; she seemed to walk in a certain way that made her stand out and because she was different. How do you deduce that by basically watching someone on your camera thingo? For reals man? I'll get back to the prince later, but back to the girl, she is extremely RECKLESS. There is a thin line between smart and stupid and she is DEFINTIELY stupid. She basically asks the maid for help. Did she even think twice about the consequences? What if she had decided to report her, she'd have been as good as dead. Let's not even talk about her insta-lust and her tendency to trust the Prince's first knight. She thinks the prince is `evil' but trusts his first knight. Please.

Going back to our lovely prince, he is your usual cliché. `I DON'T WANT TO BE A PRINCE, I WISH I WAS NORMAL'. Shut it. While you're at it, please man up. Seriously, he is getting married so he can avoid his princely duties. Let's not even talk about him, let's talk about his loyal and faithful NOT first knight. I cannot even. Seriously. So somehow, this guy, who has sworn to protect his prince, is already attracted to his wife and is basically helping her escape. Well then, we know where his loyalties lie don't we? Let's hope that if I were ever a prince, he wouldn't be my first knight because I am sure I wouldn't be able to count on him.

The romance had just started to develop when I DNFed this book but there were already tons of problems with it. For starters the goddamn insta love. I hate insta-love from the very bottom of my very black heart, what I hate even more is the love triangle, but funnily enough the love triangle wasn't really much of an issue since we all knew who she would choose even at that rather early point. Going back to the insta love; seriously man. They just met, like the first day, and all these cheesy things are being said. I am just going quote and let you guys decide, now remember it has only been a day.

"...and the heat of his body sends a current zipping along my skin."

That quote was actually FROM the day they met, when she should have considered him her enemy.

"That's the first I've seen of your true smile."

There is so much more I can say but I am just going to sum up everything in a couple of words because I am too riled up at this point to go into more details.

Here is a brief overview of everything; you have our wonderful main character, Zara, who pretends to have a backbone but she is actually a mary sue who needs to be saved, probably from herself. You have Prince Sebastian who is a poor baby; he doesn't want to be a king you know? You have First Knight, Sir Devlan Capra who is so loyal it hurts. Add in a bad romance and shaky world building and there you have it.

Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy)
Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy)
by Kerstin Gier

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute time travel tale, 24 Jan. 2014
Damn these Germans can write, first Cornelia and now Kerstin.

I don't think I've read a time travel book this good. Mostly you would come across time travel romances but this book isn't about the romance, it's about the mystery and time travel.

Everything is so well developed. From the relationships to the plot to the ending. The ending is good but the epilogue is worth dying for. Plus there isn't a cliff hanger although the epilogue does leave you rather excited (dying) for the sequel.

The only problem I had was Gideon. I kind of dislike him. He is the pretty boy, the boy who thinks it's alright to act like a jerk and treat people like s***, sure there are good sides to him and he has his own sob story (well it isn't that sad but you get the point) but I hate it when guys be jerks for no real reason.

Time travel, secret societies, lies, evil mind readers, a sarcastic main character, what else can a girl want?

Ember
Ember

3.0 out of 5 stars An original spin on a age old tale, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ember (Kindle Edition)
Ember is easily one of the most unique retellings I've ever had the pleasure to read. It had it's faults but the idea behind it was so refreshingly original.

Out of all the Disney princesses out there, Cinderella is my second least favorite (Snow White will always have first place on that list) because she seemed incredibly docile and her.. prince.. was well boring. For crying out loud his name was Prince Charming. And I am just putting this out there, I didn't connect the dots between his name and Prince Charming until recently so it's still a big deal to me. I mean imagine him hanging out with other guys. "HEY MAN, CHARMING, WADDUP". I am getting ahead of myself here. Going back to what I was saying, I love the idea behind it, because what girl wouldn't, but Disney didn't pull of the tale as well as they could have. Sharpe, however, did.

She puts a very original spin on the tale, one I cannot help but love. The tale is dark, it isn't full of rainbows and flowers but instead is full of witchcraft and curses.

It would be appropriate to start off with our Prince Charming. Of course in this case that isn't actually his name. People refer to him as that because he can literally charm the pants off of anyone. Everyone falls in love with him as soon as they see him. He has the power to stop wars just by appearing in front of the enemy. And like every other guy out there (or.. that I've read about) he wants the one woman who won't have him. The one woman who can see through his facade. Before I carry on, you should know, this was a curse (or gift) given to him at birth, everyone knows the tale, they just forget about it when they set eyes on him since they are so enamored by his supposed beauty. Ember, however, sees his charm for what it is, a facade which allows the Prince to always get his way.

Ember falls victim his charm as a young girl of 19 but her dying mother gives her a charm that will lessen the effects of the Prince's dreadful curse. Ember was a damn strong female lead. I have to give her that. But she could also be incredibly dense. It took her a damn long time to realize what was going on between her and Raid. I admired her spirit but I was bothered by how she couldn't pick up on such an obvious fact. I admired how she wasn't willing to just let the curse take over, she wanted to save herself and she'd do anything to achieve that.

The most interesting spin on this book was the step-mother and sisters. They are whores. But the 4 of them got along pretty well. It was the relationship between these 4 women that shined out to me. I'll admit that one of the things I DON'T like about Cinderella's tale was the step family. They treat her horribly in the original tale and I cannot quite understand how her father never saw through that. Luckily, we were spared from that nonsense. It was a relief to see how the 4 of them would do anything for one another. Their relationship was beautiful.

The romance was surprisingly good as well. This isn't a book, it's more like a novella. That usually doesn't leave room for a romance to develop and things just seem.. 'insta'. That wasn't the case here. It went from attraction, which lead to a relationship, which in turn led to love. I am still a little shaky on the why/how/when of 'Raid's' feelings but the romance itself was decent.

The plot. Yeah that needed some working. It was good but there were something things that were a little iffy. The story was too short, it could have easily been fleshed out and delivered on a lot of promises. There were some plot holes as well which could have been filled and it could have been as creepy as it promised to be.

The ending didn't work for me. I wanted something else but it'll do. It wasn't horrible, it was just not what I wanted.

Needless to say this is a great addition to all those wonderful retellings out there. With it's great prose and original spin it is definitely worth reading.

No One to Trust
No One to Trust
by Iris Johansen

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: No One to Trust (Paperback)
No One to Trust was surprisingly good. I was a little worried about giving Johansen a second chance after having most of my alarms set off when I read the The Killing Game. This book, while set in the same universe, was so much better in so many ways.

For starters the female lead was incredibly likable in a way Eve perhaps wasn't. The way Elena grew up hardened her. She was not a female lead to pity but one to admire. I was fascinated by how strong she was. She was kick ass in a way that I, as a reader, haven't come across often. She was willing to do whatever it took to keep her child safe but she wasn't ruthless, she just did what she had to survive. It wasn't the bad ass in her that was willing to walk over anyone but the mother in her that would do anything she had to in order to protect her son. She was vulnerable but she tried to overcome her faults. Most importantly, in spite of her kickassedness, she wasn't afraid to ask for help when she needed it, after making sure the person was trustworthy of course.

Sean was very interesting. I was surprised by how easily he developed feelings for Elena but I loved how he never pushed her. He made his feelings very clear but he also made it clear that he didn't expect anything in return. He knew she would walk over him if she had to to protect her son. It's very easy to admire a lead who respects the female lead and doesn't view her as an object to protect. Instead he views her as a person who is more than capable of killing him but he wants to take care of her because no one else has.

The romance between the two, despite the fact that it came out of nowhere (not necessarily insta.. but just.. yeah), was very well done. Elena is bound to have intimacy issues, and yes they weren't cured in one go. It took her a while to finally let go and they had to work to get to the point. She didn't just wake up `cured'. One of the things I really loved was how their hotness was not in fact emphasized. Sean's handsomeness was mentioned in passing but the focus was clearly on their personalities so it was easy to see why they would fall in love with one another and it was easy to admire the romance.

The secondary characters were a definite plus which is why I was disappointed by some of the twists this book took. Another drawback for me as a reader was the fact that it was set in the same world as the Eve Duncan series. I usually wouldn't mind so much but seeing that I don't feel any tenderness towards the characters in that series, it becomes somewhat of an issue.

The suspense itself was nicely developed and the book kind of just flew by in a way that didn't feel rushed.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quick entertaining read to help them cool off.

Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)
Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)

2.0 out of 5 stars Though the setting is great, the characters and plot were underdeveloped, 24 Jan. 2014
I like my historical romances but the ones I usually read are set in the 19th century. My one attempt at reading something set farther back was a complete fail *cough Born in Sin cough*. This book is set even farther back, in `856 CE' but the idea of Vikings being involved was intriguing enough for me to overlook the last time I got burned.

This was certainly a whole lot more tolerable than Born in Sin but the story itself was lacking. The setting was pulled off really well but when it came to the plot and characters, things just didn't work out.

Starting with the main character, Kaireen, who is a speshul snowflake. She isn't ordinary like her sisters, her father taught her how to use a bow and arrow and she also happens to be the only sister who gets a dowry. I do not understand. Why is she so special? She seems too brazen for a girl in that time. and is always running around doing things she shouldn't be. The only quality about her that I actually like was how she was somewhat self-centered. We've encountered all those female leads that are so nice it's sickening. The ones who probably go skipping around town throwing flowers everywhere from their special flower basket *gags*. I liked how she was actually aware of her position as the daughter of the leader of the clan. She wasn't rude to the servants but she didn't go out of her to be nice... and she actually got pissed at how she was treated during the term of her punishment (which she got for running around doing things she shouldn't have... so that's another plus).

I was really surprised by how everyone around her seemed to be fawning over `the enemy' and she was the only one who had the common sense to actually realize that he was the enemy. Hotness shouldn't be used as a way to redeem a character. That never helps. I suppose he's never done anything `wrong' but how can they be so certain he isn't like the rest of the Vikings that raid their lands? What happened to self-preservation?

Getting to said enemy, Bram, why? Why is he so enthusiastic to marry her? I mean from what I understand he basically creepily observed her and fell in love and wanted to marry her. What? No. Ugh. He also happens to be a tad bit too perfect for my liking. Stopping men from beating up their wives, rescuing sisters (not once but TWICE), swearing fidelity to a girl he hasn't married and who knows nothing about him, oh and he's really hot.

The romance set off all my alarms, INSTA LOVE ALERT. One day she is hating on him, the other she is worried he is going to die. What? How did you even get there? I thought you didn't want to marry him and now you're telling yourself you don't love him. Huh? Let's not forget they know NOTHING about each other (well Bram did creepily observe her).

The plot did not work at all. It lacked substance. It was like trying to piece a puzzle where the pieces obviously did not fit. The pacing in general was messed up. Events occurred one after the other but they were never dwelled on. It was almost like a check list. They get attacked, check, there is a fire, check, etc. I just don't understand what the point even was. The villain was very dull and seemed more like a wannabe than anything else. Like being evil for the sake of being evil and nothing else. I didn't completely understand what made her tick and why she was out for blood. Some of the things were just vaguely mentioned never to be talked about again. The plot was all over the place and things didn't really tie back.

Simply put, this book did not work. It was decent enough but it lacked substance and couldn't keep my attention.

Daddy Long-Legs (Puffin Classics)
Daddy Long-Legs (Puffin Classics)
by Jean Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless tale of coming of age, 24 Jan. 2014
If anyone ever asked me to recommend a classic, this is what I would recommend. I love what I've read by Jane Austen but this, THIS is truly a timeless story. Almost a century later after it was first published I find myself relating to this young girl. Her story comes to life for me through her letters to Daddy Long Legs.

Sitting here, writing this, I can most definitely say that this book lived up to everything I had hoped it would.

I didn't actually know this book existed until quite recently and as soon as I read the summary, I KNEW this book was something I would love. When I got my hands on a copy 2 months ago, I decided to read it at a rather slow pace. I read around a letter a day and sometimes I'd skip days too until today, when I decided I really did want to finish this and finish it I did.

I have no idea how to put how I feel about this book in words because truly, I am mesmerized by her story. I feel so elated and happy that I all I want to do is sing and dance and imagine how everything will work out afterwards, how their story will carry on.

Judy is just such a wonderful character, she is funny, strong and so full of life and her story is wonderful.

I am obviously going to fail at writing something coherent so I am just going to go back and re-read certain things ;)

If you haven't read this, please, go read it.

Opal (Lux Novel)
Opal (Lux Novel)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

3.0 out of 5 stars The book where I realized this series was not all that great, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Opal (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
This was the book where things started going downhill for me. I loved Obsidian and Onyx but Opal just didn't work. I was confused after finishing it. There had been a time where Opal would have made me swoon and giggle but things had changed and I had matured as a reader and Opal just didn't do it for me. It was no longer a book I could have I loved but something that was simply a guilty pleasure, brain candy, something to read on a rainy day.

There were many things that didn't work for me. Aside from the cliff hanger ending, one of the major things that annoyed me would be the situation with Blake. Blake, who isn't meant to be so likable, is actually one of my favorite characters. I can understand him and the decisions he makes. He is not as bad as a guy as Katy makes him out to be. She doesn't even try to step in his shoes and think about what she would have done in the same situation. We all know she would have done the same thing no matter what she tells herself so I cannot comprehend her hate towards him. I have to admit, I am glad that she didn't have any conflicting feelings and no love triangles popped up but so much hate isn't a good thing. Katy really needed to chill a little.

Speaking of Katy, dear god she could be a pain in the ass. Her jealousy. What is up with that? Shouldn't she know better by now? Really? On that note she made some stupid decisions. Somehow in each of these books she ends up being the damsel in distress. You can coat the situations up with her sassy attitude and strong will but she is never doing the rescuing, even when she thinks she is. Why cannot she for once make choices that won't land her in situations that may possibly get her killed?

Daemon of course feeds the 'Damsel in Distress' idea with his over protectiveness. He needs to stop acting like a mother hen and give the poor girl some space. I'd also be happier if his hotness wasn't rubbed into my face all the time.

The romance between the two loses the fun banter of the previous books and instead we find ourselves drowning in cheese. Or at least I did. I do not enjoy cheese and this book was full of it. Gone were the fun, sarcastic conversations of the previous two books and instead there was jealousy and cheesiness.

The plot however was well paced and it was a quick read like all it's predecessors but at this point I find myself wondering if all the other books were like this. Were Onyx and Obsidian not as good as I thought they were? Or was this book actually not that good?

The ending did NOT shock me even if I hadn't seen that coming. The ending was not something I enjoyed and it wasn't even because of the cliff hanger but the situation the characters were put in. We all know that there will be an HEA in the end... unless there isn't one. Now THAT would be interesting. Or perhaps it wouldn't. I like my brain candy too so no I still want an HEA for these characters.

Even with all my anger, I cannot help but feel disappointed that one of my most awaited reads was just not as good as I hoped it would be. I hope that Origin will be better even if I am guessing my feelings towards this book were more of a case of 'it's me not you'. Perhaps the dual POV will bring an interesting enough twist in Origin that I'll like it better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9