Profile for J. P. Henderson-Long > Reviews

Content by J. P. Henderso...

J. P. Henderson-Long (CROYDON, Surrey United Kingdom)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mary Ann Shaffer Appreciation Society, 11 Sept. 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is sensitively written and the cruelty of the war and its effect on the community of this lovely little island was cleverly balanced with light-hearted anecdotes about the people themselves - and that takes some doing.

The use of letters to tell a story - especially one with as many different threads as this one - is brave on the part of any writer,and does not always work. But I have to say that Mary Ann Shaffer has done so with aplomb. Her love of Guernsey itself shines through with every word and she clearly did some thorough research in order to keep the characters and their plight in those post-war days as realistic and believable as possible.

Not since Heathcliffe have I come across as dark, brooding and deep a hero as Dawsey Adams and, given Ms Shaffer's clear love and appreciation of the Brontes, all the more credit to her. The writing is poetic, the story enthralling and Juliet is a very canny heroine who, whilst being ahead of her time, also enjoys the simplistic life the island affords her during her stay there.

I have to admit that what attracted me to this book was the word 'Guernsey' in the title - and I was not disappointed. Being a regular visitor to the Channel Islands myself, it is perhaps quite fitting that I purchased my copy of it from a quaint little book shop in Victoria Street on Alderney just two weeks ago - and was, from that moment, as caught up in Juliet's story as I was in the Islands themselves.

I can see this book becoming a timeless classic - the sort that will be read over and over again - and cannot I recommend it highly enough.

Portent: NTW
Portent: NTW
by James Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS, 10 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Portent: NTW (Paperback)
As a writer myself whose interest lies in all things environmental, I have been knocked for six by James Herbert's passion, in this book, about the world upon which we live. Cleverly written, it tells a cracking story that also educates and raises awareness and I have not been able to put it down. Everyone should read this book. It should become part of the school curriculum and included in examinations. Not only does it deliver an increasingly important message, it is a roller-coaster of a read and I cannot recommemd it highly enough.

Yucketypoo: The Monster That Grew and Grew
Yucketypoo: The Monster That Grew and Grew
by Jillly Henderson-Long

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ, 10 Jan. 2008
This little book not only makes 5 - 7 year olds laugh out loud, it raises environment awareness in a memorable and subtle way. It tells the story, through over thirty hilarious poems, of a monster that is created from all the rubbish people leave lying around, which then threatens to take over the world. Modern illustrations by Ashley Stevens also tells the story to those too young to read - and still manages to get the message across. Possibly the first book to be written for children this young that tackles this topic, Yucketypoo will have your youngsters telling people to use the bins - and in keeping with that message - the book itself is produced on recycled materials and is also available in electronic format. Don't miss this at any cost - the future of our planet may depend on it!

10% from every copy sold will also go to help CLIC-sargent, the children's cancer charity.

The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life
The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life
by Julia Cameron

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, 7 Jun. 2007
Julia Cameron's increasing love affair with words becomes more and more evident as this book progresses. Unlike writing books that give you 'fool-proof' instructions on how to catapult your writing career to dizzying heights, this book gives you a thorough insight into how best you can utilise your own creativity and word-smithery. Inspiring - almost spiritual - this book left me with a warm glowing feeling with each and every turn of a page. Ms Cameron does not lecture, talk down to or patronise fellow writers. Instead, she takes them by the hand and leads them on an exciting and completely realistic journey, the end of which is all the more satisfying because it is achievable by everyone.

As a writer myself and former Creative Writing tutor, mentor and work-shop speaker, I recommend this book to all writers old and new. I have read many, many writing books in my lifetime, but this is by far the greatest ever.

I highly recommend it.

J P Henderson-Long

The Haiku Box
The Haiku Box
by Lonnie Hull DuPont

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Box of Tricks, 25 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The Haiku Box (Paperback)
I bought this book a while ago now but I am still constantly referring to it. Beautifully written in a quiet, friendly way, Ms Dupont takes you through the evolution of this delicious little verse and reveals the best way in which to pen your own. Not only is it inspiring, it comes with a small bag of target word tiles and a lovely little notebook in which to write. Highly recommended to anyone interested in writing haiku.