Profile for Nadia > Reviews

Content by Nadia

Nadia (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
NEW LOGO Cubs Tipped Sweatshirt 2015 - Official Uniform (30)
NEW LOGO Cubs Tipped Sweatshirt 2015 - Official Uniform (30)
Offered by Scout & Guide Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct. 2017
Good quality sweatshirt, excellent customer service, very pleased overall.

Minecraft Paper Craft Overworld Deluxe Pack
Minecraft Paper Craft Overworld Deluxe Pack
Offered by Leisurezone

1.0 out of 5 stars This was the worst birthday present I ever bought for any child, 25 Sept. 2017
This was the worst birthday present I ever bought for any child. A big fancy box with essentially nothing more but lots and lots of green, brown and grey boxes with a few animal figures thrown in. Despite my son being crazy about Minecraft I still have half of the Deluxe box unassembled almost a year later. I had to buy Minecraft Paper Craft Animal Mobs Set to supplement the Deluxe Pack; it was so much better in terms of interesting characters and value for money.

My Book of Cursive Writing: Words, Ages 6-8 (Kumon Workbooks) (Cursive Writing Workbooks)
by Kumon Publishing

5.0 out of 5 stars My two sons and their friend all love doing these books (2 pages a day, 27 April 2017
My two sons and their friend all love doing these books (2 pages a day, 5-10 minutes at a time. I have to admit, it is far easier than doing Kumon maths). The eldest one (aged 8) has already completed 2 books. He got an award from his school teacher last year as his handwriting had improved so much. I think my son is one of those children who genuinely struggle with neat handwriting. I suggested getting a 3rd book and he is all enthusiastic about it. That's the way to go for us. Practice, practice, practice.

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge reservations, 27 April 2017
There are some good bits in this book. I did find thick curtains to block the sunlight improved my children's sleep, to a degree. I also pumped my breastmilk in the morning (on occasion) and gave it my children in a bottle once a day without any detrimental effects on my breastfeeding. Gina Ford is also spot on that babies are often difficult to settle and cry because they are overtired rather than hungry (even though this information seems to be buried at the end of her book).
I do, however, have huge reservations about this book and I did no make use of the rest of her advice. Rather than quote the latest neuroscience research, let me quote this, "Time and time again we are told of the epidemic of loneliness in this country. One in ten over-65s feels chronically lonely all the time, yet most suffer in silence, through fear of appearing a nuisance. More often than not, these are not old people cut off from their families or left alone without surviving relatives. Many have family who are simply too caught up in their own lives to make time for them (J. Kupfermann, Daily Mail, 27.04.17). I personally think it is the best argument against the old school of raising babies as advocated by Gina Ford. Every parent has their own journey to make. My question remains, "Will our children have time for us if we do not respond to their cries when they are young?"

Fairy Charm Jewellery
Fairy Charm Jewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Craft Box Charm Jewellery (Toy)
Good value for money

Why Women Talk and Men Walk: How to Improve Your Relationship Without Discussing It
by Patricia Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend., 1 Sept. 2016
I've read a lot of books on relationships and how to improve them. This is the one that made the most sense to me and explained a lot of my husband's behaviour. Highly recommend.

Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Lessons Mothers Need to Raise Extraordinary Men
Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Lessons Mothers Need to Raise Extraordinary Men
by Dr Meg Meeker M D

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 1 Sept. 2016
I loved this book. A bit prescriptive at times but at least it comes from someone who had spent the previous 25 years of working through children's and their parents' problems. The section I found the most illuminating was how (and why) raise the topic of sex with sons. I would say the book would be a suitable reading for a mother of a son of any age, from toddler all the way to adulthood.

Silentnight Healthy Growth Junior Extra Comfort Kids Mattress - Single, Blue
Silentnight Healthy Growth Junior Extra Comfort Kids Mattress - Single, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars They are quite firm but very comfortable. I sleep on them sometimes myself, 1 Sept. 2016
I bought two of these mattresses for my children almost a year ago. They are quite firm but very comfortable. I sleep on them sometimes myself. So when it came to replacing our own mattress I wanted a bigger version of what my children have. What a shame Silentnight does have this mattress in double size!

I Thought it Was Just Me (But it Isn't): Telling the Truth About Perfectionism, Inadequacy and Power
by Brene Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman's must-read, 27 Dec. 2015
Brilliant book. It allowed me to look at my own behaviour and ask myself some hard questions. I came to realise that I had on occasions made myself quite unhappy by simply looking for approval from the wrong people. It seems so obvious with hindsight but it only became obvious after reading this book.
The only drawback from the general point of view is that the book mainly concentrates on women and their issues. This is simply because of where Dr Brown had conducted most of her research. She acknowledges this limitation and is making the reader aware of her plans to do more research with men in the nearest future. At the moment, however, it's mostly a women's book and a badly needed one, in my view.
I say this because women are expected to comply with such conflicting, unachievable and downright unfair standards in terms of motherhood, appearance, aging etc. (The concept of motherhood in Dr Brown's book includes women, who for one reason or another, did not become mothers). It takes a very brave woman (or reading this book) to say to yourself that this mission is plainly impossible and is the cause of much misery to both themselves and their families. A must-read on every woman's list, in my view.

BUDDHA IN YOUR MIRROR: Practical Buddhism and the Secret Search for Self
BUDDHA IN YOUR MIRROR: Practical Buddhism and the Secret Search for Self
by WOODY HOCHSWENDER

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was a life changer for me, 23 July 2015
I have been practicing Buddhism for just under 4 years now and this book was the starting point on my journey. I have recently spoken to someone who had been practising Buddhism for 28 years and that person said that he would have never believed at the beginning if someone had told him how much his life would change for the better. I know the feeling now and I attributle the success I've experienced in both my professional and personal lives over the last 4 years to my practice. Ultimately, like with everything in life, one gets out what one puts in. The book itself raises an awareness and points in the right direction; the task of putting the principles in one's life is that person's responsibility. But the results are well worth it. I also recommend Buddha in Daily Life by Richard G Causton and Good Life, Good Death: Tibetan Wisdom on Reincarnation by Gehlek Nawang.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4