Profile for D. J. Braithwaite > Reviews

Content by D. J. Braithwaite

D. J. Braithwaite "D Braithwaite" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Red Curved End Polyurethane Rubber Divers Watch Strap band 22mm
Red Curved End Polyurethane Rubber Divers Watch Strap band 22mm

1.0 out of 5 stars "Curved End", 18 April 2015
The woefully inadequate description for this item does not make it sufficiently clear that "curved end" refers not to the curved plastic toward the end of the strap (seen in the picture) but to an actual moulded semi-circular cut in the plastic (hidden in the picture) which prevents the strap from fitting most standard flat-ended watches.

I shall be seeking a full refund.

Anker® 3ft / 0.9m Nylon Braided Tangle-Free Micro USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Nylon Version, 18 April 2015
Until recently, I'd have said that all USB cables were alike, but some charge my smartphone VERY slowly and others extremely quickly (using the same power block). I've also had cables break internally and have witnessed the joint between the cable and connectors fracture.

The red nylon version of this cable appears to be a supremely high quality product and it charges my smartphone very quickly. Each end also has Anker branding on one side of the connector only, which allows me to tell which way up the infuriatingly asymmetric USB connector is.

ZULUDIVER® Nylon Watch Strap NATO Black 22mm
ZULUDIVER® Nylon Watch Strap NATO Black 22mm
Offered by WatchGecko

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Product, 18 April 2015
It's much thinner and lighter than I expected, but never-the-less it's a high quality strap with no frayed or sharp edges. I'm pleased with both the look and feel of the strap, plus it comes with 3 spring bars in the event that you've damaged or lost the ones which originally came with your watch.

Suki Tea Loose Green Tea Sencha 100 g (Organic)
Suki Tea Loose Green Tea Sencha 100 g (Organic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyday Tea For a Good Price, 18 April 2015
Sencha (煎茶) is a popular everyday tea consisting of whole tea leaves (including some stems), so by no stretch of the imagination should you expect a premium product here. The tea is delicious, but if you drink your tea loose (like me) then some stems will float to the top of your cup which you'll have to scoop out before drinking.

It is also a 'scummy' tea (an unfortunate word), so if you live in a hard water area you can expect a light film to eventually form on the surface. As I understand it, this is due to calcium carbonate in hard water interacting with certain complex organic molecules found to a greater or lesser extent in certain types of tea. It's harmless, but it looks ... scummy, so if it's a issue for you and you don't want the hassle of a water filter, this might not be the tea for you.

Anker Ultra Portable Pocket Size Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (12 Hour Playtime, NFC Compatibility, Passive Subwoofer) for Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, PC and All Bluetooth Devices.
Offered by AnkerDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Anker, not sold on this speaker, 18 April 2015
First off, I really wanted to like this product. I have ordered a 5 Anker products in the past year and sometimes even seek out Anker-branded generic items such as cables and chargers because their quality is so reliable and their customer support is no-nonsense.

This speaker is tiny, very loud and has a high build quality. It registers as an AirPlay device on my Apple iPad (iOS 8.3) and connects seamlessly to my Android Lollipop 5.02 smartphone with fast responsiveness and perfectly synced audio and video from both devices. But unfortunately, there's a high-pitched whine that comes from the speaker whenever any audio is playing. It's VERY annoying and quite loud, so it stops me from enjoying my podcasts and music. Also, when listening to podcasts, the audio keeps cutting out when there's a pause in speaking which sounds to me like an poorly implemented power saving feature. Finally, a buzz has developed after only a few weeks of use.

If these are faults, I'll gladly return the item for a replacement, but if they are 'features' then I'm sorry, Anker, but your product does not meet my expectations and I shall be seeking a refund.

-- UPDATE --
So Anker read my review and offered to send me their "upgrade to this model with a new design and improved features" free of charge! Fantastic! So upon receipt of this new and improved speaker, I endeavoured to try it out in the hopes of writing a glowing review for one of my favourite suppliers of gadgetry; but alas.

Issue 1 - the high pitched whine - remains unfixed. It's less noticeable when listening to music, but fabulously annoying when trying to enjoy quieter audio such as radio or podcasts.

Issue 2 - the audio cutouts when listening to podcasts - also remains unfixed. Whenever there's a pause in somebody's speech, the audio cuts out then clips off the start of their next sentence. This will drive you quite mad and makes the device entirely unfit for listening to spoken audio.

Issue 3 - the distorted buzzing that appeared after a few weeks - is not present in my replacement unit. This confirms to me that it was a fault which developed with my original purchase.

If there is some perceptible difference between these two products, I'm yet to discover it. They look identical, they behave identically and they even share the same model number (A7910). If it weren't for the distortions coming from the defective unit, I'd be unable to tell them apart. So this remains a rare miss from Anker. I've been happy with their other products in the past (cables, chargers, batteries) and their customer support is unparalleled in offering air-tight consumer confidence that if a product is faulty, they will do their utmost to rectify the situation to your satisfaction; it's just unfortunate that this particular product does not live up to the Anker brand.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 2:44 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, but not recommended, 8 Aug. 2014
First of all, this off-brand card is not particularly well made. It twists the PCIe slot and the molex connector is a very poor fit. It also isn't plug-and-play, requiring a driver to be installed from CD, which may be a problem if you don't have a CD/DVD drive.

Regarding performance, I am dubious. Transferring to a USB 3.0 HDD, It provides maximum speeds of ~85 MB/s and average speeds of ~57 MB/s, from an internal SATA III disk. Whilst this is undoubtedly faster than USB 2.0 (35 MB/s), it is substantially slower than tests on other USB 3.0 ports (110+ MB/s).

I don't have another PCIe card for comparison, but compared to native ports on the mainboard, it's slow.

Master Class Waterproof and Heat-Proof Silicone Oven Glove
Master Class Waterproof and Heat-Proof Silicone Oven Glove

5.0 out of 5 stars Dip your thumb into lasagna and laugh. Ha Ha Ha!, 4 Mar. 2014
I'm a frequent over-ambitious filler of lasagna dishes, so removing them from the oven is quite a tricky proposition. If you've ever had hot sauce soak through your oven glove you'll know where I'm coming from: do I drop it or get burnt? It's often not a choice and I've cursed my seared flesh for letting go more than once.

Not any more! Mwa ha ha! Seriously, it's as enjoyable as walking into an air-conditioned building in the height of summer. 100% waterproof, 94% heatproof, 85% flexible, 62% grippable. That's probably where these gloves fall down a smidge, since if you get hot oil on them, the gloves won't soak it up and can become lubricated. I've never dropped anything because of that, but objects behave strangely through lubricated silicone oven gloves. But that's the trade-off: it either soaks through and burns you, or remains on the surface and lubricates the glove. No getting around that. I'm very happy with them.

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars I chose the Yeti over the Meteor, 4 Mar. 2014
So I was faced with a tough decision: the Blue Yeti or the Samson Meteor. After having watched several YouTube reviews of both products, I was still undecided, as they both seemed excellent and I was only looking to record my own voice, not music. They both had a 3.5mm headset connection, they both had a headphones volume dial, but was the Yeti worth that extra £42?

I still don't know! But I chose the Yeti over the Meteor because of the gain dial. When I was going through my PC's 3.5mm mic jack, Windows 7 controlled the gain of the mic through its ridiculous "microphone boost" feature. You get a bright hiss in the background that has to be removed using software, leaving a tinny voice behind after stripping it. The whole point of buying a USB mic was to cut out the middle man and have a pure, digital sound capture fed directly to my hard disk. For me, the gain control on the back is a huge part of that. I can choose exactly how sensitive it is and decide how close I want to sit, all from the mic itself. I am so happy I have this ability, it makes the mic for me.

Make no mistake, though, the Blue Yeti is HUGE and very heavy, so if portability is a big factor for you, the Samson Meteor might be a better compromise. But if you're after a rock solid, desk-mounted, crystal clear USB mic, that has built-in gain control and directional pickup, I recommend the Yeti. The headphone jack is also recognized by Windows as a pair of USB speakers (I didn't know such a thing existed) and you can feed all your PC's audio through the mic, if you like, giving you a handy desk-mounted headphone jack and volume control.

Oh, and I didn't buy a pop filter, but if you're going to be closer than 10cm to the mic, you need one. It depends on how loud your voice is and how far away you're sitting, but for that extra lush, deep bass-sound to your voice, you'll have to get in close and unless you're happy speaking off to one side, you're going to need the filter.

JETech® Diamond 2 Serial iPad Mini II with Retina Display (Fits Both iPad Mini 1 and 2) - iPad Mini Leather Case Smart Cover for Apple iPad Mini and the New iPad Mini II with Retina Display (2nd Generation) - Latest Version for All iPad Mini Models with Built-In Magnet for Sleep/Wake Feature and Built-in Multi-Angle Stand (Black-Yellow)

2.0 out of 5 stars A WARNING to iPad mini retina display customers, 9 Dec. 2013
This case will NOT fit the latest "retina display" iPad mini. The new version is 0.3mm thicker, which means there are 0.6mm of extra circumference for this quote "snug fitting rubberised shell" to clasp. I have forced, pushed and crushed my iPad trying to get the damn thing to squeeze into this case, and there is absolutely no way it can fit. Period.

The manufacturer does not adequately warn customers that, of the two iPad minis, one WILL NOT FIT. Instead it opts for a "Guaranteed to Fit the iPad Mini" claim, which the company apparently believes is legally bulletproof since the second generation is technically called the "iPad mini with retina display", but what they fail to appreciate with this cute trick is that they can both legally be referred to as "an iPad mini".

Don't waste your time and money with ordering this product, only having to return it as soon as it arrives, or worse yet ordering it as a gift. This company is aware that their product does not fit the newer iPads and has retracted any positive claims that it fits the retina display iPad mini, but will not update the description to explicitly warn customers that the new retina iPad mini is not compatible.

JETech are clearly keen to deliberately mislead their customers. I hope it comes back to bite them.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 11:41 AM GMT

Torx T5 Screwdriver for Nokia\Samsung\Sony Ericsson UK
Torx T5 Screwdriver for Nokia\Samsung\Sony Ericsson UK
Offered by Digibuys

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 30 Aug. 2012
The screwdriver is poorly manufactured with a deformed tip that is sharp and burred. It doesn't fit the screws and is essentially useless. Very disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3