Profile for richard james dawney > Reviews

Content by richard james ...

richard james dawney

Driving Test Success Hazard Perception (PC/DVD ROM)
Driving Test Success Hazard Perception (PC/DVD ROM)
Offered by TX3-Media

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong, 5 Sept. 2011
Having used the AA hazard perception clips and found them severely lacking, I really found this alternative to be a breath of fresh air. The software has a greater level of interactivity - after running a mock test you can choose to review individual clips to see where you went wrong.

There's 400 clips to try, you can view a graph of your progress over time - it's just like the real test. And because it's like the real test it helped me to not panic in the real test - I scored zero on my double hazard clip but I knew I could still pass - and I did with a respectable 58/75.

An excellent, highly recomended and very cheap way to revise for your theory test.

Hang Em High [Blu-ray] [1968] [US Import]
Hang Em High [Blu-ray] [1968] [US Import]

2.0 out of 5 stars Shocking !!, 9 July 2011
I rarely write reviews but having just seen this awful transfer I felt compelled to put finger to keyboard. This is probably the worst picture quality bluray I have ever seen. I'm not a huge fan of the film but as a Clint Eastwood die-hard this was essential to my collection. I already own a standard def copy and thought this would have been a good upgrade (it came as part of the Clint Eastwood bluray set along with the Dollars trilogy).

Sadly, and even from the opening scene of the film you can see from the grain and the dirt present in abundance that this transfer is left severely lacking. It gets worse - more times than I care to remember motion shots were ruined by colour trails, the whole depth of colour itself often wavers and the picture throughout is permeated by a softness not befitting the medium.

Okay folks it was made in 1968, fair enough. And it does have some good points - close up scenes reveal more detail, and darker indoor scenes show greater contrast and depth of colour palette. BUT, having watched "The Searchers", (1956)on bluray and been bowled over by the latter's virtually flawless transfer quality, I suggest Eastwood fans should in this instance save up their cash for a good upscaling dvd player and buy this film on standard def.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 6:03 PM BST

Dangerous Man [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dangerous Man [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars KICKASS !!!, 23 Jun. 2011
I really don't see the problem that other reviewers have had with this film.
Look guys - Seagal will never play Othello - he came, he saw, he kicked some arse, what more could you want ???