Profile for L. Robertson > Reviews

Content by L. Robertson

L. Robertson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Candle's Christmas Chair (The Golden Redepennings Book 0)
Candle's Christmas Chair (The Golden Redepennings Book 0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and fulfilling, 20 Oct. 2015
I enjoyed this sweet novella although it was different from my usual favourites. It's more of a sweet period romance than a wicked period romp but feel good and dreamy all the same. It reminded me a bit of Jane Austen's persuasion.

Disney Minnie Mouse Girls Pyjamas Cotton PJ's (4-5 Years)
Disney Minnie Mouse Girls Pyjamas Cotton PJ's (4-5 Years)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 14 Jun. 2015
Disappointed. My daughter had only worn it a handful of times and the picture started to peel off. Otherwise, fits well.

Melissa & Doug 13789 My Magnetic Responsibility Chart
Melissa & Doug 13789 My Magnetic Responsibility Chart

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 14 Jun. 2015
I adore this product! My 5 year old daughter just loves to do her chores since we've established this responsibility chart in our home. She can't wait to be able to put her magnet in the appropriate place and it's good for helping her to learn the days of the week. A good, solid product which can withstand the constant use. Very pleased.

I SHOOT PEOPLE - CAMERA (XXL - CHARCOAL) NEW PREMIUM LOOSEFIT T SHIRT - Slogan Funny Clothing Joke Novelty Vintage retro top Mens Ladies Womens Girl Boy tshirt Tees Tee t-shirts shirts Fashion Urban Cool geek photography bag lens exposure accessories digital tripod case for Birthday Christmas Present S M L XL 2XL 3XL 4XL 5XL- by Fonfella
Offered by 123t

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy!, 14 Jun. 2015
Hubby got a kick out of this shirt that I got him for his birthday. Fits well and is of good quality. Very pleased.

Twitfish - New 2014 Camera Lens Mug With Stainless Steel Thermos Lining and Sealable Biscuit Tray Cap (Black)
Offered by Basezip

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gift idea for a camera lover., 14 Jun. 2015
Brilliant quality and looks so realistic. My hubby is really pleased with it. One thing I would say is that I expected it would have a sort of mouth piece to make it a travel mug. This is NOT A TRAVEL MUG so be aware of that when you order it.

Pulse and Prejudice: The Confession of Mr Darcy, Vampire
Pulse and Prejudice: The Confession of Mr Darcy, Vampire

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulse and Prejudice - racy and modern, 14 Jun. 2015

I recently had the pleasure of reviewing Pulse and Prejudice by Colette L. Saucier for Netgalley.com.

I really did not want to like this book. As a die-hard Pride and Prejudice fan I have always felt that there should be no messing with the perfection of the original tale. But while I love my precious original version I must admit to having my interest piqued by the spin off tales I’ve been seeing in recent years.

Pulse and prejudice appealed to me because I enjoy a good supernatural novel and the idea of Mr Darcy as a vampire appealed probably more than I care to admit.

I started the book thinking it would be a waste of time and was prepared to scoff at what I thought would be a bumbling attempt at reinventing the wheel. I’m not ashamed to admit how very wrong I was.

I LOVED Pulse and Prejudice and having just finished it, feel I need to read it again!

I found it fascinating how the author managed to completely explain the original Mr Darcy’s behaviour by turning him into a vampire. Suddenly he became so much more likeable from the early pages rather than part way through the book. We see such depth and complexity to his character that I now realise was lacking in the original telling of the tale. But then again, Jane Austen could not have shown more of Darcy’s character and inner depth because her version was written almost entirely in Elizabeth Bennet’s point of view.

I found it disconcerting how the author seemed to use chunks of prose and dialogue from the original novel. I did however, think the use of quotes from famous poets and playwrights was a clever touch that showed how much research had gone into the novel.

The vampiric elements of the novel were cleverly interwoven into the storyline so that the reader can almost believe that Jane Austen herself must have known Mr Darcy was a vampire and forgot to tell us.

I was shocked by the love scenes between Darcy and Elizabeth because there were none in the original version and I hadn’t expected there to be any in the new version. While said love scenes brought the novel into the modern world I felt that these, along with the other intimate moments between Elizabeth and Darcy helped to portray a closer connection between them. The intimate scenes also fed the readers appetite for the romance that many felt to be lacking in Mr Darcy and Elizabeth’s declaration of love for each other close to the end of the original novel.

While I thoroughly enjoyed this novel it seems a shame that others might read it before reading Jane Austen’s version and assuming Colette L. Saucier the genius who invented such interesting characters. Other than that I loved this novel and can’t wait to read it again.

Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
by Pippa Middleton

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove of ideas and inspiration, 25 Oct. 2014
It's always this time of year that I get my Christmas books out to look for inspiration and recipes. Pippa's book is one I go back to time and time again during the year because it's got so many ideas for yearly celebrations. There's games, homemade crafts and recipes. Some are very easy things from my childhood that I'd forgotten and am delighted to be reminded of. Others are a little more posh so I always feel that I've been 'stretched' to improve on my current repertoir when I read it. It's well written, researched and executed with gorgeous pictures and lovely ideas. If I could give it 6 stars I would.

Cheap Home Makeover: Interior Decorating On A Budget
Cheap Home Makeover: Interior Decorating On A Budget

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing I don't already know, 8 Aug. 2014
nothing I don't already know. I found the book to be the same old regurgitated info that you can read anywhere.

Cherry Menlove's Easy Parties: How to Create the Perfect Summer Celebration
Cherry Menlove's Easy Parties: How to Create the Perfect Summer Celebration

5.0 out of 5 stars always inspiring, 8 Aug. 2014
Love cherry's books and blog because she's realistically inspiring and down to earth. She's Martha stewart in a more relaxed and non perfectionists way.

Adult ADHD: What You Need to Know
Adult ADHD: What You Need to Know

3.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 8 Aug. 2014
Well thought out and informative. I'm as yet undiagnosed with ADHD and often have trouble reading long winded text. This was easy to read and in laymans terms.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3