Profile for Michael Lomax > Reviews

Content by Michael Lomax

Michael Lomax (Brussels, Belgium)

Morte D'Urban (NYRB Classics)
Morte D'Urban (NYRB Classics)
by J. F. Powers

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not convinced, 24 Feb. 2013
Delightfully written, some I suspect very accurate anhd amusing vignettes of RC life in 1950s (? 1960s) America but somewhere the character of Fr Urban does not quite convince.

The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind - a New Perspective on Christ and His Message
by Cynthia Bourgeault

2.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs down, 24 Feb. 2013
It's the old line: that the church was hijacked somewhere in about the 4th century by people who wanted to use the Church for their power - and of course phallocratic - ends. And we, with the help of the Gospel of St Thomas and other documents they did not want us to read, miraculously refound, we have rediscovered the true Christianity. And remake the Church as we want it: of course women priests, pro-gay etc., etc.
This is too simple. In particular there is a glaring absence of knowledge of the ascetic tradition of the church.
This is not just me been bitchy: we read it in our Christian book club (Anglican, Protestant, RC and Orthodox) and all gave it the thumbs down

Freedom and Responsibility
Freedom and Responsibility
by Patriarch Of Moscow and All Kirill

4.0 out of 5 stars Did Kallistean actually read the book?, 7 Jun. 2011
Let me ask whether the reviewer `Killistean' has actually read the book.
Certainly his `review', which has appeared very fast indeed after the book hit the shops, could have been written without reading it.

Prima facie it looks like he is using the Amazon review facility as a political platform. He may not like Patriarch Kirill, which is his right, but the review section is there to review books, not play politics.

In my view the book is worth reading for those genuinely interested in the Russian church and the thinking behind its particular stance on church-state relations. It also offers a unique, direct access to the mind of the leader of the largest Orthodox confession, allowing the reader to come to his own judgement on the man, rather than through the eyes of third parties. It is not without some weaker points, an open and honest discussion and critique of which would advance and sharpen both the current debate on the role of religion and politics and the dialogue between the Russian Orthodox Church and other Christian confessions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 7:55 PM BST

The Path of Prayer: Four Sermons on Prayer (Praxis Pocketbooks)
The Path of Prayer: Four Sermons on Prayer (Praxis Pocketbooks)
by The Recluse, St.Theophan

2.0 out of 5 stars 70p a page, 2 Aug. 2010
St Theofan is hard to find in English, and I grabbed this opportunity, despite its high cover price for what is advertised at 96 pages.

In fact the page numbering goes only up to 74 pages, and the SERMONS THEMSELVES ARE JUST 25 PAGES. The next 30 pages are given over the various 'Prayers of the Fathers' (St Symeon the New Theologian, St Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, St Ephrem, St John the Elder) plus another 5 page introduction which I could have written myself off the web.

It is just possible that the 4 sermons (shortish by Russian standards) are worth 70p a page, but I admit that right now I feel ripped off.

I don't know what Amazon's policy is on demanding accurate descriptions from publishers, but the titling of this book is flagrant misrepresentation.

Radical Orthodoxy: A New Theology
Radical Orthodoxy: A New Theology
by Graham Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Hermetic theology, 24 July 2010
A bit impressionistically, this is the Cambridge theology scene at its best and at its worst simultaneously.

At its best in its creative attempt to reinterpret the big historical canvas, at its worst in wrapping it in a language almost inaccessible outside its own clique.

Would it be cheeky to point out that two of the biggest religious movements in post-Reformation England came from Oxford - the Methodists and later the Tractarians? Cambridge theology is intellectually satisfying, but I am not sure it can convert.

The Rite: The Making of a Modern Day Exorcist
The Rite: The Making of a Modern Day Exorcist
by Matt Baglio

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful, 15 Jun. 2010
I have mixed feelings about this book:
The information is accurate and useful, but I dislike the journalistic presentation (starting with the cover) which seems to pander to a certain desire for sensationalism. As my spiritual father said to me "We recognize only too clearly the devil's existence, but we don't speak about him, don't give him more publicity than is absolutely necessary". Great sobriety is needed in this area. Fr Amorth's book, though beginning to feel dated, has this.