Profile for D. Graham > Reviews

D. Graham (Scotland)

Pedigree Mum
Pedigree Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Doggie-Delights!, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pedigree Mum (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Fiona's latest page-turner, with a 'pooch' theme! It was so easy to get into, and I couldn't put it down, so it's just as well I had flu because I had an excuse to take to my bed and read ALL day :-)
I love her style of short sharp chapters,great characters, honesty with humour, different threads within the one storyline.
I loved Kerry's character (I tried to teach piano for a couple of years....enough said)but all my sympathy went to Rob! He was tricked, and had to live with the enormous consequences.
I too didn't anticipate the way it would finish but that's just made me carry on thinking of the story in my own head how I think it might continue......isn't this what an author wants us to do?
It was hilarious - especially the 'intimate' moment between 2 clowns, and the list comparing advantages of 'Dog' to 'Man' hit quite a few chords!
Well done Fiona

Ed Sheeran A+ - The Unauthorised Biography
Ed Sheeran A+ - The Unauthorised Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 26 Oct. 2012
Book arrived a week or so earlier than I was expecting. Makes a nice change, didn't realise it was hardback either. Quite a "serious" book about Ed, rather than a straight "fan" type affair. The author has tracked down Ed's music teacher, the guy who taught him looping, people who were at his first ever gigs, even the guy from the Krypton Factor who turns out to be Ed's cousin! Very up to date and nice photos. Great.

The Great Escape
The Great Escape
by Fiona Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Great Escape (Paperback)
Once I started this book, I was glued to it, keen to get to know the characters and see where the story went.
My only problem was finding a quiet place where my family couldn't find me so I could actually get the peace to read more than a chapter! Gibson obviously knows what it is like to juggle family and work life with 'me-time',and the guilt/stresses that go along with this!
This was a very funny and touching read which is so honest and true to life. Gibson seems acutley aware of village life, and the characters and complexities that come with it.
I identified most with Sadie, one of her main characters. She is a new mum to twins. Her account of her is perfect - she is desperately trying to 'do the right thing' by her babies which is hilarious at times and touches a nerve because a lot of us have been there (but maybe not with twins!)
It was good the way the 3 seperate threads of the girl's lives all met and entwined with each other in Glasgow - and as a result of this hen weekend their lives seemed more focussed and they saw, with greater clarity, their own dilemmas.
It was a really good read, which had me 'welling-up' at times, and laughing out loud - always a sign that the author has drawn you into their story.
I have read all her other books and loved them all. Highly recommended!

Emma Watson - the Biography
Emma Watson - the Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 8 Dec. 2011
Got this for my daughter but ended up reading it myself. Seems odd to write a biography of someone so young, until you see what she's managed to pack into the last 20 years. There's loads here I didn't know, nice pictures and there's a lot about her non-Potter work. The author seems to fancy himself as a bit of a film critic as well as a biographer. Great read and right up to date with Emma,s new films too.

Simon Cowell: The Man Who Changed the World
Simon Cowell: The Man Who Changed the World
by David Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From Someone Who's Actually Read It...., 22 Aug. 2010
Didn't know a great deal about Mr Cowell and wouldn't say I was a fan - is anyone?? Was given this because I've got some of the author's other books. Didn't know what to expect really. Well it's certainly bang up to date, it starts in 2010 with the start of the Haiti disaster appeal before going back over Cowell's life and all those TV shows here and abroad. All the successes (and failures, surprising how many) are here as well as the 'will he won't he' get married stuff and the build up to American X Factor. Is Cowell as bad as he's made out? Probably - but he seems to have a bloomin' good time doing what he does. Book is very well written, easy to read but with some good points to be made about the currrent state of the TV and music industries. The 'where are they now' bit at the back is very funny indeed. Enjoyed it.

Mummy Said the F-Word
Mummy Said the F-Word
by Fiona Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars So funnily refreshing!, 11 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Mummy Said the F-Word (Hardcover)
This book has captured my attention and humour for the last week or so with me taking sneaky reads when I should be doing 'motherly' and 'wifey' things and even forgoing my slob in front of the TV in the evening to read what happens to Caitlin!
It is such a refreshingly honest look at motherhood - I can identify with so much of the book and can, amusingly, recognise certain 'mother-types' that Fiona describes (the ones that would not allow toxic plastic toys over their threshhold, that feed only organic veg freshly grown in their backgarden,whose children never embarrass them in public etc.etc. ....
Fiona's perception on family life is amazing and her main character's honesty at failing so often as a mum is so reassuring. But it is also poignant with the account of Caitlin's mum in a Care Home not able to recognise her own daughter due to her dementia - and yet heartwarming when a light comes on within her later on in the book. It also talks of a son being torn by the separation of his parents which breaks your heart.
There have been very moving moments when I have been close to tears, great hilarity at the way Fiona describes just how kids (and grown-ups!) are, and excitement at not knowing who Caitlin will end up with.
I highly recommend this book to all mothers who can laugh at themselves!

Deeper Than Tears: Promises of Comfort and Hope
Deeper Than Tears: Promises of Comfort and Hope
by Countryman

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeper than Tears, 25 Feb. 2007
I have used this little book on and off now for 10years, since my dad died. I can only describe it as a gem of a book whose words have comforted me, given me strength and helped me encourage others in their grief. It is full of wise, gentle, loving words mainly from Scriptures but also from Christian men and women of recent times. It is easy to read, and set out in an aesthetically pleasing way. I would recommend this book for anyone who has been bereaved.