Profile for N. Lowe > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony Xperia M5 5-Inch 4G Single Sim Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia M5 5-Inch 4G Single Sim Smartphone - Black
Offered by HEARTBIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for the money. A better proposition than the Z5 Compact., 28 Feb. 2016
I bought this phone from another retailer as part of a contract. I had been looking for a new phone for a while and I like to think I'm quite fussy when it comes to the specs. I was originally holding out for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S7 or the LG G5 but once they were announced on February 21st along with the premium price tags, I decided to see what was on offer at the mid-range level instead. I'm not interested in playing the latest games, certainly not on a phone anyway, so I had made the decision to ignore the endless benchmark statistics and meaningless comparisons on some reviews given that I didn't need a phone that was necessarily capable of running the very latest games in the fastest framerates possible.

I'd all but given up hope and was contemplating either a Huawei P8 or another chinese phone such as the Elephone P9000 and going sim-only when I came across this phone. I had seen the Sony Xperia Z5 compact, Z5 and Z5 Premium and the Z3+ but I had also read some horrible things about the Snapdragon 810 in those phones getting rather hot under moderate usage. I was surprised to see that this phone was not only cheaper than the Z5 Compact, but in some areas, it also has a better spec. I quite like the fact that all Sony phones are IP68 waterproof and dustproof. I spend a lot of time outdoors and this is a nice feature to have on those not so nice days. The M5 also has a Full HD 1080p 5" IPS screen, which is a step up from the 720p screen on the Z5 Compact and this phones predecessor, the M4 Aqua. I know that some Android phones have 2K UHD screens these days and that the Z5 Premium has a 4K screen, but let's be honest; there is hardly any 2K or 4K content available anyway. I'm still pleased with the 1080p resolution on my 40" TV, so why on earth would I need more than this on my phone at this moment in time and would I even notice the difference?

The M5 also comes with 3GB of RAM, compared to the 2GB found in the Z5 Compact and the M4 Aqua. It uses a Mediatek Helio X10 processor, rather than the Qualcomm Snapdragon series processors found in most Android smartphones, including the rest of the Sony range.

This phone also has a 21.5mp rear facing camera and a 13mp front facing camera. Both cameras are good and produce decent pictures. I have seen lots of comparisons for phone cameras but you really want to take amazing pictures, forget using any phone all together an go and buy a proper DSLR camera. The cameras on this phone are more than sufficient for quick snaps though.

The storage memory on the Sony Xperia M5 is 16GB with the option to add an additional 200GB via a Micro SD card if you wish.

This phone doesn't have a fingerprint scanner. I don't find this an issue but if this matters, this might not be the phone for you.

The one thing which nearly put me off this phone is that it is made of plastic, rather than metal found on more premium devices. To be honest though, you'd be hard pressed to find any faults with the way it looks and feels in the hand. Its super slim and reassuringly solid feeling. I'm probably going to put the phone in a flip case anyway so it doesn't really matter to me whether the sides are shiny metal or not. You would be hard pressed to tell that this isn't one of the flagship Z5 series metal construction phones from looking at it.

Over all I am really impressed with the Sony Xperia M5. It does everything I need well and doesn't cost the earth. Its more than powerful enough to run the latest games if you need it to, although it might not be as outright powerful as the more expensive phones out there. Battery life so far seems to be good and the specs on this phone are much better than anything I could find on a similarly priced Samsung phone

Horwood Homewares IV61 IV01/06/08/14/16/17/05 7-Piece Knife Block Set, Black
Horwood Homewares IV61 IV01/06/08/14/16/17/05 7-Piece Knife Block Set, Black
Offered by A Cut Above Knives

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looking knives but poor quality, 21 Mar. 2013
I bought these knives a couple of weeks ago from TJ Hughes on my local high street. I had been looking for some replacements for a very cheap set I already had. I decided that I wanted knives with a full tang rather than just inserted into nasty plastic handles like my previous knives were. I came across these and they looked like a good buy. I was sure I had seen the Sabatier name elsewhere on quite expensive knives. I got them home and unpacked the box. Initially I was pleased with my purchase and I assumed that I had found a bargain. I then began to do a little research on Sabatier and found that it isn't the name of a manufacturer but a loosely based term which covers everything from very expensive and well made French knives right down to very poor quality mass produced French and Chinese made knives which mimic the style and name of the more expensive variety. I checked the box they came in and noticed 'Made in PRC'(Peoples Republic of China), So I guess these must be the cheap versions then. Besides that, the knives are sharp, sturdy and weighted nicely, however I left one of the knives in the sink with some other washing up overnight to soak and to my horror I found an indelible brown stain across the top of the knife. On further inspection, more corrosion on the sharp edge which has eaten a small nick into the edge. This particular knife has been used just once from new, for slicing cheddar cheese. Perhaps this is a one-off and a defective knife but I would be reluctant to leave them in water any longer for fear of them dissolving away completely. I would advise doing your homework before buying these or any knives.

Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1 inch Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet
Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1 inch Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for the money, 3 Mar. 2013
I have spent a lot of time looking for a reasonably priced tablet as a gift for my father. I considered a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 after seeing some great deals at Christmas time, but the prices seem to have since risen to well above the £200 price mark again. I also considered a few other 7" tablets from major brands but realistically, he would probably benefit from a larger screen. I came across this tablet on another site for £134.99 delivered. There were a few good reviews so I took a chance.

I am really impressed with the overall quality of this tablet for the money. It's as fast as any tablet I've used before. Its slim and nice to hold and seems to run just about anything I throw at it with ease whether it be games or movies. browsing is snappy and its nice to have bluetooth on-board for wire free speakers and headphones.

There are a few issues I have found though. Firstly, it has 16GB of internal NAND memory, a Micro SD slot which now houses a 32Gb Micro SD and 1GB of system reserved memory (for the operating system). For some really bizarre reason, when I install apps, they install to the 1GB system reserved partition as default. Since some of the games available now can push 500MB+ this is a bit of an issue. It is possible to move some of the apps individually through the apps section in settings, but no way to tell the tablet to install apps to the 16GB internal memory as default. Ordinarily, I could live with this if it was my tablet but I'm not sure my father would remember how to do this and would continually have issues with space. The second issue is with the cameras. As you would expect from a 0.3 megapixel front facing camera and a 2.0 megapixel rear camera, the picture quality is grainy at best. Given that the cameras are basically the same type used in mobile phones, its a shame that they didn't spend an extra couple of quid and put something a bit more recent in. As it stands, the cameras aren't really much use. Then again, the Galaxy Tab2 is guilty of this too. Lastly, only a minor criticism given the price, but the screen seems a bit dull. The blacks seem to be represented as a murky grey and the colours aren't quite as vivid as I'd hoped.

I would still recommend this tablet and even though it's not perfect, its still a real bargain. I bought an Archos 70 internet tablet about 2 years ago for about the same money and this is light years ahead of it in every way. If you're in the market for a tablet now, this is a great buy but if you can afford to wait, I'm sure the next generation will be even better.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 9:20 PM GMT

Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game aiming its sights squarely at GTA, 11 Oct. 2012
This is one of the best games I've played in a long while. There's plenty to do and non-stop action throughout. I was a bit cautious at first and thought that it was aiming into Grand Theft Auto territory but now I'm looking to see how Rockstar respond to this masterpiece when GTA 5 comes. The combat system is excellent and the story line is compelling and engaging throughout and the action is thick and fast with bucket loads of replay value. The graphics, physics and audio are superb and the controls are nearly perfect.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring and lacking any soul., 11 Oct. 2012
This game seems to promise so much, yet still leaves me feeling really bored. I do generally prefer open ended games and I admire the level of detail and effort which has gone into creating the huge map, however the game play really doesn't add up to much. The actions at best slow and clunky, All of the AI characters are moody, really boring easy to forget and don't inspire you to bother with their meaningless little mini missions. This is not helped by the acting and heavy american accents, which are dreadful. There seems to be an infinite amount of junk to collect on your travels, but I suspect that most of it is useless. The combat system is really crude and old-fashioned, clumsy and inexcusable. I was hoping for something along the lines of a combat system used in the Assasin's Creed games or Sleeping Dogs but the game designers seem to have stuck with a system from a bygone era instead. I also have no idea why my character is unable to talk and has to ask questions using some 1980's style text options. No cinematic cut-scenes here folks. All of the missions feel like pointless mini-missions lacking any kind of soul, purpose or enthusiasm because the story line is so weak. If you have decades of time to waste and haven't got any legs or access to any other games, then this might be mildly more entertaining than spending time in a coma. I'm quite glad I borrowed this and didn't spend any money on this pointless drivel.

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (Xbox 360)
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay but gets frustrating and boring quickly, 5 Jun. 2012
This is pretty similar to the other GTA games and i've played them all. its a theme which is starting to wear a bit thin. Some of the missions are really frustrating, dull, long winded and pointless and hampered by impossible controls, then when you fail, you have to start the whole mission again. Really treadious and irritating after a while. I've come quite close on a few occasions to throwing the controller through the TV, usually a sign that perhaps at age 30 and an occasional gamer perhaps I'm too old now for computer games. Its probably okay as a sandbox but the auto aim thing is awful and the helicopter controls are near impossible when you're trying to shoot and avoid hitting the sea or ground when it gets
dark. Not really sure I can be bothered to complete this game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 4:22 AM GMT

DURAGADGET Padded Travel Camera Bag Case With Shoulder Strap & Zip Pockets For Go Pro 3, GoPro Hero 3+, Hero HD Head Cams (Helmet Hero, Motorsports Hero, Surf Hero), Toshiba Camileo X-Sports + BONUS Gift: Cleaning Cloth
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little bag but fills up quickly, 20 Feb. 2012
Overall, I am happy with this bag. It's neat and well made but could do with being a little bigger if you intend to store all of your straps, cases, leads and mounts in it. Other than that, its great for protecting the camera whilst travelling.

GoPro HD Motorsports HERO
GoPro HD Motorsports HERO

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and price, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: GoPro HD Motorsports HERO
I bought this particular camera for Mountain Biking, Surfing and Snowboarding and although I bought the Motorsports edition, it just happened to be about £50 cheaper than the naked camera or the Helmet version. The package itself came with some really useful adapters, and anything else you might need can be bought separately easily enough. Overall I am very pleased with the quality of this camera, particularly in 720p (60fps) mode. I have tried 960p (30fps) and 1080p (30fps) but I have found the playback of the footage to be a bit choppy, perhaps if you have a really powerful PC, then this might not be an issue. I'm editing my footage on a laptop with a Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz processor, 4GB RAM and a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 8600M-GT running Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit and find 1080p footage far too choppy. The quality of the video in 720p is more than adequate though and plays back perfectly. The Camera encodes the files as MP4(H.264) and will take up to a 32GB SD Card. The battery lasts around 4 hours on full charge and a 32GB SD Card will store about 8 hours of footage in 720p mode. In direct sunlight, the camera does suffer a little with glare but you can find aftermaret Polarized filters on the internet for less than a tenner and these make a big difference. I'm also considering buying a flat lens for Scuba Diving because the fish eye lens does some really weird things to the focus under water. I had considered the slightly cheaper Contour HD but there are far more mounting options for the Go Pro and from the results, I have definitely made the right choice. I've also started noticing these little cameras all over the place. Especially on various TV programs where a film crew just isn't practical.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2012 11:36 AM GMT

External Bluray BD rom drive dvdrw cdrw
External Bluray BD rom drive dvdrw cdrw

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item as described. Unsure what the negative reviews are about?, 12 Feb. 2012
I bought this to be able to read Blu-Ray discs containing data I am transferring from one PC to another and it works perfectly. Clearly there are some people who are buying this assuming for some odd reason that its prime purpose is for watching films, rather than seeing it as a computer peripheral capable of reading Blu-Ray discs, therefore concluding that they should be able to plug it in, drop a film in and it will just play. Clearly the product description doesn't mention that there is any software included. The drive installs without the need for any drivers. If you do wish to watch films through this drive, there are some programs that you can buy which will allow you to do this, or free programs like VLC which will facilitate the playback of Blu-Ray film content. The drive is solid, efficient and very well priced for an external Blu-Ray drive.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but poor quality means they don't always work, 4 Jan. 2012
I bought these lights because of their size. They are tiny but also quite bright and ideal for letting other road users see you. I loved how fast I could whip these out of my bag and onto my bike with no fuss or tools if I got caught out by the dark after a long ride but after owning them for a year now I am much less impressed and have had no option but to walk for risk of getting knocked off my bike when they just fail to power on for no apparent reason. Sometimes they work and sometimes they turn themselves on, sometimes they won't turn off and other times they won't switch on at all. I always use quality batteries but now i'm really disappointed because despite the clever design, these could be brilliant if they weren't so badly made and unreliable. I have been forced to look for a more reliable replacement.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3