Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Eddy Knasel > Reviews

Content by Eddy Knasel

Eddy Knasel (Bristol United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The elementary forms of the religious life, a study in religious sociology
The elementary forms of the religious life, a study in religious sociology

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this Kindle edition, 25 Sept. 2015
As others have said, this low cost Kindle version is very poorly produced. There are so many typos that it is barely readable. This is a shame because it is a very interesting book. Pay the extra £3.00 for the other version.

The Wee Free Men: (Discworld Novel 30) (Discworld series)
The Wee Free Men: (Discworld Novel 30) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend this one to anyone else who is already a ..., 16 Sept. 2015
I read this book because it's the one that introduces Tiffany Aching, the main protagonist in Terry Pratchett's posthumously published The Shepherd's Crown. Somehow, I'd missed the whole Tiffany Aching series which, as a huge Pratchett fan, turns out to be a serious error! The up side is that I have a whole series of Pratchetts left to read. I'd recommend this one to anyone else who is already a Discworld addict.

The Windsor Caper
The Windsor Caper
by Gerda Weissmann Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars Two American girls fall asleep and enter a world of heraldry, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Windsor Caper (Paperback)
Originally published in instalments in 1987, this charming book is brought up—to-date through occasional comments from a lost US cent (the Penny). It’s beautifully written and will enthral young children – particularly American ones. I agree that it would make a good Christmas present for younger relatives.

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird

5.0 out of 5 stars It's beautifully written and plotted and raises some genuinely important questions ..., 11 Sept. 2014
I can see why - until Gove stuck his ugly nose in the way - this book was one of the staples of GCSE English. It's beautifully written and plotted and raises some genuinely important questions about equality and justice. I can't wait to watch the film - which I have on DVD.

Twelve Years A Slave
Twelve Years A Slave

5.0 out of 5 stars I think Northrup had an excellent ghost writer, 30 Jun. 2014
I read this recently on Kindle having not yet seen the film. I think Northrup had an excellent ghost writer, it's a very well structured book with a powerful story to tell. I shall definitely be recommending it to my book group as part of a theme, alongside Gone With the Wind and the The Help as illustrating slowly evolving White American attitudes to African Americans.

The Bronze Box
The Bronze Box

3.0 out of 5 stars A taut thriller, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Bronze Box (Kindle Edition)
This self-published novel has a tight plot that keeps you guessing. I would recommend it to anyone who likes action movies - in fact I think it would make a good one. My only reservation is that the writing, particularly at the beginning is a little wooden, Fitzjohn relies too heavily on dialogue to explain background information - but it's a worthy first effort.

I came across it when I went to the launch of crowdfunding platform [...] Amy gave a presentation about her planned follow-up book 'Solomon's Secrets' - which I look forward to with interest.

Kindertransport (Nick Hern Books)
Kindertransport (Nick Hern Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars No heroes, only victims, 12 Dec. 2013
I read this very powerful play as a member of a Quaker group involved in planning events to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of World War One in 2014, highlighting the role of conscientious objectors in both WW1 and WW2. We hope to encourage a local secondary school to put on a production of this thought-provoking play which deals with complex issues of identity and abandonment in an appropriately nuanced way. There are no heroes, only victims - which is a fitting message to draw about any war.

Motionperformance Essentials Mobility Easy Pull Sock and Stocking Aid -(Disabled & Arthritic Sufferers)
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful product, 21 Oct. 2013
I am waiting for a hip replacement at the end of next month and the lack of flexibility in my right leg has reached the point where I cannot get a sock on my right leg. Until the Autumn hit, I was able to get by wearing sandals - but now the rain have set in I can't away with this any more. This product is very easy to use and solves the problem!

Changi Road
Changi Road

4.0 out of 5 stars Should Hirohito have been put on trial?, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Changi Road (Kindle Edition)
Changi Road is a heady blend of fact and fiction, based on genuine incidents in the life of the author's father. It raises the interesting suggestion that the Japanese committed atrocities on a par with their allies the Nazis and that their divine emperor was in it up to his neck. It would not have suited America's, plan of turning Japan into a constitutional monarchy to have put Hirohito on trial as a war criminal, so things were suppressed. The book is fascinating while it sticks to this factual theme but is let down a little by the 'action movie' exciting bits, which do not really fit the style of the rest of the book - hence four out of five rather then the full five.

Lotus 25 Coventry Climax - 1:20 F1 - Tamiya
Lotus 25 Coventry Climax - 1:20 F1 - Tamiya
Offered by Japan-Select

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice model, 19 Jun. 2013
I've been building aircraft kits for years and now I'm in my dotage I've decided to start making F1 models again - I built several of the Tamiya 1/12th kits back in the 70s. I'd looked at this kit in my local model shop several times and decided this could be a good way into 1/20th scale.

I'm not at all disappointed. The quality of the moulding is first class (as I would expect from Tamiya) and the breakdown of the kit is well thought out. The decals are easy to use. Overall, I would recommend this kit to anyone who has some prior experience with plastic kits. Can't wait now for Ebbro's forthcoming Lotus 49.

Page: 1 | 2