Profile for Martin Burgess > Reviews

Content by Martin Burgess

Martin Burgess "martincburgess" (Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Mr Fothergill's 24802 Garden Time Strawberry Garden Windowsill Kit - Green
Mr Fothergill's 24802 Garden Time Strawberry Garden Windowsill Kit - Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the seeds?!, 27 Mar. 2017
Just planted my seeds (or should I say seed). Probably about three or four seeds in the packet; very stingy considering the price!

Would recommend just going down the local garden centre and doing it all manually!!

If I have drastic success, I will repost, but looking at other reviews, I am not hopeful!!

Jersey Channel Islands Calendar 2017
Jersey Channel Islands Calendar 2017

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good value for money, 2 Jan. 2017
Great photographs but overall quality of product below that expected of the price paid.

Female Agents [Blu-Ray] [Blu-ray] [2008]
Female Agents [Blu-Ray] [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Sophie Marceau

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont worry about subtitles - wholly compelling, 14 Mar. 2009
Based on a true story (how true it is to the original we will have to summise). However its a compelling story from begining to end. I always judge a good dvd / Blu Ray film by whether you are prepared to pause it for a wee break - not a bit of it with this one!!

Not a great war film / espionage type person, but thoroughly enjoyed (although thats not the right word, as its quite sad).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 9:18 PM BST

Tropico Gold (PC DVD)
Tropico Gold (PC DVD)
Offered by Yellow Bulldog Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars F-U-N!, 13 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Tropico Gold (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Just simply - a fun strategy game, with lots to think about. Buy it, you will not be dissapointed!

Football Manager 2008 (PC/Mac)
Football Manager 2008 (PC/Mac)
Offered by marxwax

4.0 out of 5 stars Still playing the game 6 months on!, 23 May 2008
Interesting to see the wide range of views on this game. Correct it is VERY difficult and extremely challenging. I have taken Exeter City from the Conference into League 2 (well done City for doing it in practice!). However can I get them any further!!

If you drop onto the plethora of websites that help, such as footballmanagerportal.co.uk, you will soon establish this is a sophisticated and complex game, due to the extensive advice available - hence why so many of us saddo budding managers are continuing to struggle!

However, the fact I keep coming back for more, even though I find that one defeat leads to a near season run of disasterous results, I feel there must be a way of beating the game. I am getting there, but its hard work and a lot of lost time (and sleep).

Overall a superb piece of work; if there was scope for introducing an "easy", "normal" or "hard" option, for those who want a simple life, that may well assist. Its not the right answer as learning and persistence is the key to this game, but may assist those who cannot cope without an instant return! In the meantime, I will continue to try and get Exeter out of League 2 - to League 1 rather than back to the Conference, I hope!!

Highly recommended, if you like Chess and other strategy games that do not provide instant results!!

Lucky Number Slevin [DVD]
Lucky Number Slevin [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Hartnett
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick With It!, 6 April 2008
This review is from: Lucky Number Slevin [DVD] (DVD)
Just to add an extra note. My wife and I sat down to watch this one and after 30 minutes were sufficiently confused that we were about to abandon. Do not be tempted! Another film where a "comfort" break was not taken - the pause button was not touched from that 30 minutes onwards.
Enjoy!

The Simpsons Movie [Blu-ray] [2007]
The Simpsons Movie [Blu-ray] [2007]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there an elephant in the room?, 25 Mar. 2008
I will admit I am not an ardent Simpons fan, but have enjoyed many of the tv episodes, when I have had chance to watch. There is some good stuff in this movie, but generally, it has a very obtuse storyline - just an excuse to link some sketches together. Maybe rent, but not worth buying.
Mind you, have been singing the Spiderpig song all day today.

Stick to the TV series!

Layer Cake [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Layer Cake [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig

4.0 out of 5 stars No time for a toilet break!, 21 Mar. 2008
This film grabs you by the "doobries" and won't let you go, right from the start. Action packed with twists and turns from the begining. As suggested, sat down with remote in hand to pause for a wee break - it never happened. A sign of a good film, me thinks!! Enjoy!

Babel [Blu-ray] [2006]
Babel [Blu-ray] [2006]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars I tried very hard..., 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Babel [Blu-ray] [2006] (Blu-ray)
I really did try to look into the depths of this film to see how simple things can change peoples lives. On one level this film did work. But on the other over two hours of waiting to see how the three separate plots linked. They did; and I suppose it was to demonstrate how peoples lives can be affected in different ways by the most simplistic of events. However (and this is the big but!), I am afraid to say it has to be a case of the emporers new clothes. Whilst parts of the film were touching and relevant, the majority of it was spent waiting for the plot setting to finish. It never did. We rented this one....phew!!

Panasonic TH-37PX70 - 37" Widescreen Viera HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview
Panasonic TH-37PX70 - 37" Widescreen Viera HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV - Particularly HD, 1 Feb. 2008
Had been carrying out a lot of research on LCD / Plasma TV's and went for this package, along with a seprarate audio system (as the one area where this TV is not spot on is the sound quality). That is the only bad thing I can say. Having visited several High St stores and seen it in action, I was half expecting the end product to have a picture quality which was not as good as I perceived: Wrong! If you are going for a HD quality picture, this will do the job. Have invested in Sky HD and whilst there are limited programmes available on HD, the picture quality is simply stunning. I find myself only wanting to want to watch HD, so National Geographic and Discovery (both HD channels) get watched all the time.

Acquired the TV via Amazon, because of considerable cost savings. Delivery agents made contact before the TV arrived to agree date / time and they duly delivered the equipment safely.

Setting up is pretty easy, although can get tricky if you want to connect lots of bits and pieced (oh, and it makes a great computer monitor as well!).

Survived for years with an old fashioned TV with just a simple coaxial (not even a scart socket). Now well into the 21st century and thoroughly enjoying it.

Page: 1 | 2