Profile for Jason James > Reviews

Content by Jason James

Jason James (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Cool Scratch Projects in easy steps
Cool Scratch Projects in easy steps

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Your Scratch Skills To The Next Level, 6 Nov. 2016
The second book from Sean McManus on Scratch, and once again we weren't disappointed. Sean's easy to follow style allowed my 8 and 11 year olds to follow along with very little input from me, or their teachers who ordered their own copies. The projects are obviously tried and tested and dig into some of the more interesting capabilities of the Scratch programming language. Having flipped through the book a couple of times our interest had been well and truly piqued by chapter 4 - Angry Aliens. This chapter showed how with a little imagination Scratch could be used to develop 3D games - Yes 3D! Thirty minutes later we were flying through space destroying aliens equipped with our 3D glasses for extra alien protection ;-)

Whilst the book is easy to read from cover to cover the chapters are also full of easy to use information that can be incorporated into the reader's own projects. It also includes suggestions for how the reader can extend their own projects by considering how a project could be improved through adding a score board or enhanced sound effects.

A highly comprehensive book suitable for all and a perfect complement to Scratch Programming in easy steps: Covers Versions 2.0 and 1.4 . Highly recommended even those with little to no programming experience.

Web Design in easy steps, 6th Edition
Web Design in easy steps, 6th Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for your first web design, 8 May 2014
An easy and informative read chunked into useful sections including important topics such as SEO (search engine optimization) to blog engine choice. In addition it includes even more advanced subjects such as CSS3 (cascading style sheets) and JQuery. The beginner will be taken on a journey of discovery from creating your first simple page, through to styling the page, adding links to social media sites and finally publishing your hard work for others to enjoy.
Many of the topics covered will enable you to embellish your blog posts with easy to read tables or lists, link to external sites and add some dynamic content with the use of JavaScript and JQuery. The web is a constantly changing landscape and this book ensures you are up to date with chapters on HTML5 and CSS3 which will ensure you web presence is readable by even the latest mobile and tablet based browsers.
As a crafter with an existing blog, I was able to take much of what the author shares and incorporate easily. Adding social media plugins and links to an ecommerce solution were explained in enough details to enable me to incorporate these services into my blog in very little time, increasing my traction with Facebook, Twitter and Google+ as well as allowing my flowers to buy my creations from the comfort of their armchairs.
If you are a blog author, then there is a complete section on CMS (content management systems) with a focus on WordPress and how to get the most from it. You can use many of the skills that the book teaches to enhance your blog’s template, and even go on to create you very own.
Al in all, a good start point for your journey into website design and development that will not only enhance the quality of your web presence, but may even find you digging deeper into what you can create using HTML5, CCS3 and many other web technologies.

Toothie the Tooth Fairy's Best Friend (tooth pocket on her back) LEOPARD print. HANDMADE in the UK. Girl's Tooth Fairy Pillow

5.0 out of 5 stars Now there's no question the Tooth Fairy does exist!, 10 Mar. 2014
These are great. Now I'll never have to Ninja across my Daugther's bedroom floor again. Get them to hang this on their door handle before they go to sleep, and simply replace the pocketed tooth with the coin(s) of your choice.

Inspired and loved.

Scratch Programming in easy steps: Covers Versions 2.0 and 1.4
Scratch Programming in easy steps: Covers Versions 2.0 and 1.4
by Sean McManus

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect intoduction to Scratch and a great way to bridge the gap to the new National Curriculum in ICT., 9 Mar. 2014
I bought my 6 and 8 year old a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and the first thing we did was see what this thing called Scratch was. We spent several afternoons creating programs using this very child-friendly program. Once my son saw that he could build the game he wanted to play, and then play it, there was no stopping him - he's the 6 year old.

Simple things were easy to accomplish with a little trial and error, but more challenging ideas required some research: How can I get my cat to look as though it is actually walking? How do I keep score during my game? How do I keep my car on the road? Answers to these questions and many more were waiting for me in this book. I worked through the examples from cover to cover over several nights (once the kids were asleep and I could get a look in) and it helped us to progress to a stage where we were really able to create some great projects and learn some of the fundamentals of building computer programs without it seeming like we were all back at school.

Since getting this book my children's school has dropped teaching Word, Excel and PowerPoint during ICT lessons, and are now teaching them Scratch. Many schools that follow the National Curriculum for ICT will be doing the same, or have already done so, and this book is a great way to supplement the lessons they are getting at school.

The book was perfect for my children and I to work through together or dip into if we wanted to find help on a particular topic. The author has a really engaging style, clearly has a great understanding of the subject and a great ability to communicate that to his readers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2015 11:32 AM GMT

An Elephant in the Garden
An Elephant in the Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating to the last page, 21 Dec. 2013
A beautifully written tale of one family's escape from a destroyed German city at the height of WWII. Our first Michael Morpurgo book and definitely not our last. This book was bought as a Christmas gift from our Daughter's Year 3 form teacher, and whilst perhaps a little beyond her to read alone, it made for a great bedtime read.

Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black
Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Great service. Useless product!, 2 Dec. 2013
Great service. Useless product. I bought this microphone as a small and simple way to record some demonstration videos I am making. However, this won't be possible since the amount of background noise coming through the microphone is almost as loud as my voice. I have spent a couple of hours trying to adjust my computer and microphone settings to improve this, but by the time I turned down the input level to a point where you couldn't hear the noise, you couldn't hear me either. Whilst it might be cheap, it doesn't work the way I was expecting it to. Unfortunately, in my case it was a waste of money. I off to go shopping again...

Programming Entity Framework: Code First: Creating and Configuring Data Models from Your Classes

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and to the point, 6 Oct. 2013
Covered all the necessary details to enable me to really use my DbContext skills with a code first approach. Another excellent title from Julie Lehman. I think I have them all now.

Body Solid Ankle Strap
Body Solid Ankle Strap
Offered by Fitness Superstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect leg accessory, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Body Solid Ankle Strap (Sports)
Been looking for something like this for a while to compliment my Torque F7. Very pleased with the product. Legs looking my much better too!

Pro ASP.NET MVC 4
Pro ASP.NET MVC 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect blend of breadth and depth, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET MVC 4 (Kindle Edition)
I worked through the demo app to really get an understanding of MVC and then used the reference section to be able to apply the techniques to my own app. Get book for those wanting to add MVC to their existing asp.net webforms knowledge.

Avantree TC200 Bluetooth transmitter and Bluetooth audio adapter 2-in-1 for Bluetooth A2DP enabled mobile phone and other Bluetooth A2DP audio devices, No software installation required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased and this one works, 11 Feb. 2013
I recently bought a similar device from TaoTronics which I could never get to sync with my sony MW600. The Avantree BT Audio Transceiver was with me within 24 hours of ordering and was then charged, paired and being used during my workout in less than three hours. No complaints from me.

Page: 1 | 2