Profile for Son of Sam > Reviews

Content by Son of Sam

Son of Sam (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Canon
Canon

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane talent, 20 May 2017
This review is from: Canon (MP3 Download)
I am a person who always looks for a bargain, who waits for something to be on sale or free.
There are only 3 things in my life that I INSTANTLY buy on sight.

Fallout video games
Ash versus The Evil Dead episodes
Any music Overwerk releases.

There endeth the lesson.

24x AFW305 Pro Acoustic Foam Wedge Tiles , Studio Sound Treatment , 2.23m2 (24 ft2) per pack
Offered by Comfortex

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS PLEASE! This product has fire retardant qualities!, 27 Jan. 2017
I felt compelled to write a review because of the near miss I had.

I bought this product to sound treat my room, as Ive started doing a lot of gaming related voice recording at my desk using a Berhinger C3, a little xenyx mixer. With monitors in front, cupboards behind, a wooden desk below, etc you suddenly realise how much echo and bounce you have in a room when you start to listen back to high quality audio. I bought this, and for just over £30 had a solution, got some spray glue and happily started slapping these up at key points around the room. They did a great job deadening the acoustics of the room.

However, it only occurred to me after I had slapped these plastic tiles all over my room that I had no idea if they were fire retardant. Well Im very pleased to say that when I rushed back to amazon and checked they ARE. In fact they speced above minimum standard.

The point Im making is this.... if you go and buy cheap Chinese ones for half the price, they may be reasonable acoustically, but unless they are CERTIFIED in an EU country as having decent fire retardant qualities, you will have saved 15 quid and turned your room into a death trap. If you plaster your walls with untreated plastic foam tiles, then one badly placed candle is going to turn your room into an inferno.

Pros
FIRE RETARDENT.... see a theme developing here...?
Fast cheap delivery
Great acoustic qualities (I can hear the difference when im speaking at my desk and Im not a sound professional)
If you wash down the surfaces, rinse with water and dry properly, you can slap these up in minutes using a can of spray glue
Can be easily applied to curved surfaces if you bend them according to the rib direction. (they are stiff in one direction but flexible in the other)
Great value. One box is ample for treating the hot spots in my room, 2 boxes and my room would look more like a recording studio.

Cons
...cant think of any, honestly.

I had a problem with sound bouncing around my room, these tiles and a can of spray glue came in at well under £40 and solved the problem Im very satisfied. I recommend both the product AND the company.
I will be buying more products from them.

Silverline 675035 Half Round File 2nd Cut 250 mm
Silverline 675035 Half Round File 2nd Cut 250 mm
Offered by AP Motor Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor cutting surface, and another reason why Im avoiding silverline., 1 Dec. 2016
The teeth seem to be machined on in about 5 sweeps. There is a slight gap between the lines of teeth, where the file is virtually smooth. When filing out inner side of curved metal if these gaps align with the raised part of the surface, it just skids right off. Basically, every 3rd or 4th pass, the file just skids forward and i bang my hand on the work item. I would expect full coverage on the surface of a file, even a cheap one.

I dont mind buying cheap tools, that are low quality. I DO mind buying cheap tools that are defective. The former can save you money on a quick job, the second wastes your money, and then wastes your time because you have to replace the tool before you can carry on.

Ive already ruined a project because of a defective silverline tool. If I can possibly avoid it, I wont be getting another one.

Stanley High Speed Steel Molybdenium Hacksaw Blades (2) 0 15 906
Stanley High Speed Steel Molybdenium Hacksaw Blades (2) 0 15 906

5.0 out of 5 stars Im sawing through 5-8mm tool steel, thats 50-80mm wide., 29 Nov. 2016
Pretty decent blades for the price. Im cutting knife blanks from O-1 tool steel, which are usually between 5-8mm thick. I personally find that if im making a big cut, downwards... for 5-20cms, and the steel is 5-8mm thick, and not heat treated (30-32 Rockwell), these blades work well.

Lots of blades are awesome for the first 60 seconds of sawing through tough stuff. The acid test is whether they still work after a few minutes or have all the teeth on the blade sheered off. As I spend a lot of time making long cuts through tool steel, the issue for me is how they perform after 5-10 minutes of constantly cutting through steel. I have bought several types of blades that perform incredibly well for 5-10mm and then turn to mush.

These blades cut well on un-heat treated tool steel. So far, the cut travel distance is about 35cm, and ive not noticed much drop off in cutting power. I consider these blades to be in the same ball-park as Bahco blades. Im still cutting with the first blade and not replaced it. I consider these blades to be effective.

The Grand Tour Season 1
The Grand Tour Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Gear on steroids, and minus censorship., 19 Nov. 2016
They have 8 fighter jets fly-by in the opening sequence.... that pretty much sums up the budget. The first episode showed the odd sign that they were still settling in to the new format, but it was every bit as good as Top Gear. Its basically the same cast and production team as Top Gear, but with an insane budget, free reign, and they dont have to constantly worry about some BBC executive trying to make their career by stiffing Jeremy Clarkson.

Side note: Everyone was complaining that license fee money shouldnt be spent on people like Clarkson. Well they got their way. Now the talent is with Amazon, the show is improved, the revamped Top Gear on the BBC is tanking, and the license payer lost a tonne of profit as the Top Gear brand deteriorates. Careful what you wish for.

Like the new show, I will be watching them all.

Wolf 9 Speed 16mm Pillar Drill Press Bench Top Mounted - 2 Year Warranty
Wolf 9 Speed 16mm Pillar Drill Press Bench Top Mounted - 2 Year Warranty
Offered by UK Home Shopping - UKHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bench drill I could find, with low RPM for use on steel., 1 Nov. 2016
Im not an expert on drills or drill presses, but Ill give you my opinion from a very personal perspective, after using this drill for one day. Im making knives, which means I have to drill holes in 5mm un-heat treated 0-1 tool steel. I think thats Rockwell Hardness 30 or there abouts.

Pros
* Prompt delivery
* Cheap: not much more than twice the price of a battery hand drill
* It has the lowest RPM of any pillar drill i could find on Amazon... and LOW rpm is what you need for drilling through steel. (or friction makes things overheat and fracture)
* The one I got delivered, once I had set it up, was pretty much on the money when it came to being centered and accurate.
* The chuck was good. For an 80 quid drill it was awesome... less than 1mm of wobble.
* Personally, I kind of understood the belt system..... and after reading the instructions... set it up right. My advice is DONT be in a rush. Chill and make sure you understand the booklet instructions. I know its a new toy and you want to play... but exercise some self control lol.

Cons
* You need a little bit of "Ikea Skills" to put it together. But if you take your time its easy.
* I have no idea how long it will last. Searched the internet with no luck.
* Some parts are slathered in grease. Personally I dont mind this, because grease preserves metal. However, some people might be upset that when it arrives, its greasy, and there is no Butler to assemble it for them.

Conclusion
I bought this because drilling holes in 5mm precision ground steel bar with a hand drill, was not working out so well for me. At best it took a lot of time, at worst the holes ended up being at an angle. Even the slightest bit attention lapse using small drill bits ended up with a snapped drill bit.

If this drill runs for 6 months......it will have paid for itself.

Most importantly, whilst applying a little oil every 30 seconds, I drilled two 10mm holes through steel, in less than 10 mins. With a hand drill that would have taken me hours.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2016 12:22 PM GMT

Fire TV Stick | Streaming Media Player (Previous generation)
Fire TV Stick | Streaming Media Player (Previous generation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have for an amazon prime member, 25 Oct. 2016
As an amazon prime member this is pretty much essential kit. It does far more than ive worked out so far, but essentially it lets you do all your amazon prime stuff on your TV, and lets you download other apps like vevo and youtube as well. The remote is really well designed. Because Amazon designed both the remote AND the menu system, you end up being able to navigate around with a remote with very few keys. Other manufacturers should learn from this.

If you watch Amazon Prime video, this does exactly what it says on the tin.

Silverline 633942 Threaded Rivet Insert Tool 4-8 mm
Silverline 633942 Threaded Rivet Insert Tool 4-8 mm
Offered by Langley Steelworks Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed, it WILL fail with use., 25 Oct. 2016
It broke on the 4th rivnut and stopped me working for the rest of the day. The mechanism for pulling the lug back is the most dubious piece of engineering design Ive ever seen. It relies on a flange being pinched between two "rivet heads" is the best way to describe it. Because the whole thing is made of stamp pressed chinese pot-metal, when you apply force, it bows the sides of the wrench outwards. Apply a little too much force and the flange sheers between the lugs and its permanently broken.

As there is no "proper" mechanism to fix, you cant repair it. Its practically friction-based. Once its gone, its gone. I dont mind taking a gamble on cheap tools, but 12quid is not a cheap tool. This is pathetic.

Silverline 660125 Hand Brace Drill, 280 mm
Silverline 660125 Hand Brace Drill, 280 mm
Offered by PREMIER FACTORS

1.0 out of 5 stars Cobbled together out of Chinese Pot-metal and plastic, 25 Oct. 2016
Junk. This asymetrical toy-tool is cobbled together from low-grade plastic and Chinese pot-metal alloy. The chuck was not mounted symmetrically, but this was not a problem for long as it broke. The chuck would not grip a drill bit hard enough to stop it slipping. When I tightened it up, one of the teeth in chuck clicked, twisted sideways and sheered past the one next to it. I just about managed one, wonky hole, before binning it. The whole chassis is off centre anyways so it wobbles all over the place like a drunken tramp on the way to the chip shop.

Silverline tools are always a gamble. This one was a bust. Glad i got it on offer, because for 3bucks it was still not worth it.

SCANPAN Classic 20cm Bread Knife
SCANPAN Classic 20cm Bread Knife

1.0 out of 5 stars SCANPAN looks great, but its horribly cheap rubbish, 28 Sept. 2016
Based on my other purchases from SCANPAN

Pros
Stylish
Well presented
Great marketing

Cons
Cheap rubbish
Cant hold an edge for more than a few minutes.

Tonight I grabbed one of my Scanpan knives to eat a pizza. It was the first time I had used that knife. At first it was like a razor..... but by the second slice it was blunt.

Any knife that can be blunted by 1/4 of a pizza is total fail. I doubt its actually steel... its like butter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8