Profile for The Hound > Reviews

Content by The Hound

The Hound (Westeros)

Snow Chains For 235 55 18 Tyres - 16mm 4x4/Van Snowchains (pair)
Snow Chains For 235 55 18 Tyres - 16mm 4x4/Van Snowchains (pair)
Offered by Performance Centre

3.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly great value for money, 25 Jan. 2014
These are the Polar Snow Chains and I fitted them on receipt. Took about 15mins total. They are supposed to be self-tensioning, but the springs are pretty loose so you have to retension after 100m or so. I guess my main gripe is the price - once I discovered they were Polar 16mm I checked other sites (and ebay) and the street price is normally around £38-40. Delivery was prompt though, so no complaints there. I'll let you know how they perform once I've used them in the snow!

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience and vigilance people!, 5 April 2012
Am I alone in finding it really irritating just how many people are giving Martin's excellent series low scores either because they expect the complex multi-threaded story-lines wrapped up nice and neat at the end of each book; or because they got confused that the publisher and distributor decided to release what was over 1,000 pages in hardback as two books in paperback?

As far as the actual content is concerned, I have found A Song of Ice and Fire a riveting read - even part 4 which was perhaps the driest read - with no dragons or Others to break the political machinations and multitude of betrayals. I suppose that since Martin's main strength is without a shadow of doubt in his masterful characterisation - the one book where political narrative took centre-stage was always bound to have seemed slower than the rest.

But having thoroughly enjoyed his triumphant return to form in "A Dance with Dragons" (parts 1 and 2 and yes, I was almost caught out too :-)) I now look forward to seeing how Martin manages to draw these myriad of loose threads back to the leaderless Westeros, where I'm guessing we will be reading about the Direwolf and the Dragon (and the half-nose Lion?) fighting side-by-side for the future of humanity. If the concluding two books are going to be as good as what we've had so far, well I don't know about you, but I'm prepared to wait another few years.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 5:25 PM BST