Profile for snoopy > Reviews

Content by snoopy

snoopy (London)

Page: 1 | 2
BQLZR Credit Card ID Anti Theft RFID Blocking Sleeve Shield WaterProof Protector Secure Holder Pack of 10
Offered by Super Things

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little too big for Wallets, 10 Sept. 2016
These seem to work well. I have tried using my contactless cards in and out of these and they only work out of them.

The only slight issue I had was it was difficult to get my card in the card slot, in my purse with one of these on. I had to fold the seam over.

Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers

3.0 out of 5 stars Putting the Google Play Store on it Makes it Worthwhile, 28 Aug. 2016
I bought this through the Prime Now app, when it had a £10 off your first order over £30 offer on. The Kindle Fire was £39.99 at the time, so ended up being £29.99.

Previously, I'd discounted ever buying a Kindle Fire because of all the reports about only being able to get apps from the Amazon App Store and there not being many apps in there, but I decided for £30, it was worth a try. Also, at the time, there wasn't an Amazon video app for Android and I wanted to watch Prime videos while travelling.

I don't carry a tablet around with me all the time. I only use it for entertainment while travelling, so I need it to work offline. I looked on the Amazon App Store, when the tablet first arrived and was pleased to see that the majority of the apps that I use were available, including a couple of games that I play for entertainment when travelling. However, the Google Chrome browser was not available and the Silk browser that is built in is terrible. A lot of websites just don't work in it at all.

As I mostly intended to use it offline (e.g. on a plane), I could live with the terrible browser because I wouldn't use it much anyway, but the first time I traveled with it, I found another fundamental flaw with the Amazon App Store; You can only use your installed apps, if you are actually signed in to the App Store at the time and you can't sign in offline. So this stupid rule renders most apps useless offline, which is a big problem for me because I bought this mostly for traveling. The Amazon Video app did allow me to watch my downloaded videos, but most other apps wouldn't work. The time between checks seems to vary, some would work for an hour or so, or a day, some wouldn't even launch.

As soon as I got back from my first trip with this, I Googled how to install the Google Play Store on a Kindle Fire. It involves changing settings, connecting it to a PC and downloading and installing software to both your PC and Fire. I am not suggesting for a second that any of you do this. It will probably invalidate your warranty. I am just being honest about the fact I did it.

Once I got the Play Store on there, I uninstalled everything, except Amazon's own apps and reinstalled them from the Play Store. I now have a decent browser (Chrome) and a tablet where all offline apps always work and I still have the ability to download Prime videos. I've gone from being very frustrated to thinking it's the best £30 I've ever spent.

So why only 3 stars? Well anything that requires hacking to make it work doesn't deserve 5 stars, it can be a little slow to start up and initialise your SD card, and the Amazon App Store rule that you have to be signed in, to prove ownership, even when the apps are free, is ridiculous! No other app store requires this.

Disclaimer: I am a web and mobile app developer, hacking a tablet is fairly low risk for me. I am not encouraging anyone else to do the same.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2016 4:31 PM BST

Black 13mm Width DIY Handbag Accessories Braided Pu Leather Purse Handles Handbag Straps Detachable Bunckles Length 23.6 Inches
Offered by grace young az

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after less than a week, 22 Aug. 2016
After a few days of using this, one of the rings fell off, rendering the strap useless. I was unable to find the pin to put it back together.

USB Plug Charger Syncwire 4-Port USB Wall Charger with Interchangeable UK EU US Travel Adaptor-Lifetime Warranty Series-6.8A/34W for iPhone 7/6s/6/Plus, iPad, iPod, Galaxy S8/S7/S6/Edge, Note 5, HTC & more phones, Tablet, Kindle, Power Bank-White
Offered by Syncwire

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, but great, 22 Aug. 2016
This is such a simple idea, but I hadn't seen it before. Allows you to charge 4 USB devices at once and comes with adapters so you can use it anywhere in the World. Not tried it outside of the UK and US yet, but works perfectly well in both those countries. No more struggling to find enough sockets in a hotel room to charge mine and my companion's tablet and phone at the same time. The only thing that would improve it would be the worldwide plugs being built in so you don't have to carry separate adapters.

Egyptian Magic Cream 118ml
Egyptian Magic Cream 118ml
Offered by Blue Herbs

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit greasy, but very beneficial, 22 Aug. 2016
I first bought this on a plane. I was coming back from Tenerife, with a sun burnt face and didn't have any after sun. This was the only thing in the plane's duty free that was in any way close to after sun. It claimed to treat virtually every skin condition, including sun burn. I have to say, it was instantly soothing and my peeling forehead stopped peeling after a couple of days. I continued to use it and found it very moisturising and did seem to reduce fine lines. However, it's texture is similar to Vaseline. Imagine covering your face with Vaseline? I've started using it in the evenings only and tying my hair back, so it doesn't become greasy, after touching my face.

Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor (Onyx)
Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor (Onyx)

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm on to my third in two months., 20 Aug. 2016
It claims to track swimming, but tracks it as walking/jogging, although you can edit it and it tracks sitting down watching TV as sleep, but apart from that, it is very accurate and connects to the Bounts app, which is the main reason I bought it. However, my first one suddenly stopped working after just over a month. I contacted Misfit customer service through the app and they sent me a new one. Two days after receiving it, I had it clipped to my jeans pocket and the clip fell off somewhere. I contacted them again and they sent another one. I've had it for two weeks now and no problems, but I am too scared to use the clip. Both times, they disabled the old one, so I didn't have to send it back (not that I had the second one to send back). You can't fault their customer service; every time you have a problem, they send you a replacement, no questions asked. However, that doesn't change the fact that the product itself can't be that good because I've had so many issues with it. The clip is obviously badly designed and not fit for purpose. The Misfit itself is good when it works, but failed after just over a month.

Lactase 5000 FCC Tablets - Pack of 90 Tablets
Lactase 5000 FCC Tablets - Pack of 90 Tablets

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 20 Aug. 2016
I'm lactose intolerant and these allow me to digest dairy. The pouch is much more convenient for carrying in my hand bag the the tubs most similar tablets come in.

Nylabone Dura Chew - Small, Bacon
Nylabone Dura Chew - Small, Bacon

1.0 out of 5 stars My dog hated this, 20 Aug. 2016
Bought it for my Labrador/Border Collie cross. She chewed it for a few seconds then spat it out and refuses to take it back.

Vega One, Plant-Based Nutritional Shake, Vanilla Chai, 30.8 oz (874 g)
Vega One, Plant-Based Nutritional Shake, Vanilla Chai, 30.8 oz (874 g)
Offered by Nature's Remedies

3.0 out of 5 stars Like medicine - good for you, but tastes awful, 20 Aug. 2016
If you could separate your ratings, I'd give this 1 for taste and 5 for health benefits. After about 3 days of having one for breakfast every day, I had a lot more energy and less digestive problems, so highly recommend it for health benefits. However, it doesn't dissolve properly, so has a powdery texture and taste. It had very little flavour, just tastes sort of bitter and powdery. It's not a nice taste and you certainly don't get 'vanilla' from it. I've found adding cocoa powder and sweet freedom syrup to it, makes it drinkable.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps prevent recurrent erosion, 20 Aug. 2016
I was prescribed this for recurrent erosion, my Moorfields Eye Hospital. They should know what they are talking about ;-). It's supposed to stop my cornea sticking to my eyelid overnight, and I have to say it really works. Occasionally there is a manufacturing shortage and I have to use an alternative, but none seem to work as well as Vita-Pos.

Page: 1 | 2