Profile for jonathan william chaplin > Reviews

Content by jonathan willi...

jonathan william chaplin

Málaga Inkmap - maps for eReaders, sightseeing, museums, going out, hotels (English)

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on my Kindle, 25 April 2017
this map of Malaga simply did not seem to work on my Kindle yet there was no warning that my machine was incompatible with it. Had to ask for a refund and buy a good old fashioned paper map - they always work! Based on my experienced I'm afraid I'd have to say that the product is rubbish and really deserves zero stars.

Keter Corfu Outdoor Rattan Balcony Garden Furniture Set, 2 Seater - Graphite with Mushroom Cushions
Offered by Garden Store Direct Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we wanted!, 9 Mar. 2016
Quick delivery and easy assembly with no parts missing. Very pleased with chairs and table/footstool. It's just what we wanted, all we need now is some sunshine.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget maple board strat neck, 23 May 2015
excellent strat neck for the money - and after receiving 2 warped necks off ebay, this one was a joy to receive. However, I do agree with another punter's remarks that the fret ends are viciously sharp & it was necessary to give attention to nearly all 44 fret-ends. Also, the nut was absurdly high and it took a lot of work to sand it down and re-cut the slots to get a decent low action at the 1st fret. But at the end of the day...to get a maple board neck for £28 is a right result and it looks gorgeous on my guitar build and plays a treat.

Legacy -Digi-
Legacy -Digi-

5.0 out of 5 stars Legacy by Hypnos 69 - Amazing!!, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Legacy -Digi- (Audio CD)
I was following some strands on youtube, looking for old hippy guitar wig-out records and found this - and blimey: it's incredible!! The guitar work is awesome - it's a real freak-out.... lovely guitar tones - it could be from 1970 ... like a lost love-child of Quicksilver Messenger Service or something. Only minor downside is tendency to corny/pretentious lyrics & song titles but I forgive them cos the music is so great!

The Autograph Man
The Autograph Man
by Zadie Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Autograph Man - stretching credulity to breaking point., 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Autograph Man (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book.... but it's hard work. I know it's fiction but to really empathise with characters I need to feel they could really exist. Brian Duchamp - yes: nice sketch of a gross but likeable trader. But Alex-Li Tandem? I don't think so. And as for a "laugh-out-loud" read... well, I don't think so either (altho' I accept humour is personal). Only time I laughed out loud was over the gag re the inflatable headmistress (had me chuckling for ages, actually!!) but I assume that was just a gag the author has recycled. The end seems messy and unresolved - what did Alex do about Kitty? Did he get back with his girlfriend (altho' he didn't deserve her)? I suppose it shows I was I was sufficiently emotionally involved to even care but I rather felt cheated. Maybe Zadie didn't know what to do with these strands either. I found all the Jewish life, religion, language and ceremonies baffling. Full marks to author for researching it all but it just confused me without enlightening or entertaining me.

Have also read White Teeth and On Beauty. If you want to try this author I'd recommend White Teeth.

Caravan
Caravan

3.0 out of 5 stars Caravan - for completists only, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Caravan (Audio CD)
It has the rather unimaginative format of all the tracks from the album in mono .... then all the same tracks again in stereo which seems plain silly to me: as if they were trying to fool us that there are more tracks than there really are. Who wants to listen to music in mono? Well, I don't. Having said that, I tend to stick it on when I'm working and just let it chunter on and it kinda lets you hear the tracks twice.

There's some nice touches here and there but it does sound like a first album i.e. an original, highly creative band finding their feet. However, it you are new to Caravan I'd recommend "In the land of grey and pink" and if you like that, then buy "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You". These are thoughtful hippie albums with a twist of English charm and melancholia laced with superb keyboard solos. These dominate over electric guitar (makes a change!) but there is some fine guitar work as well.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2016 10:40 AM BST

Rand McNally Easy to Read! California State Map
Rand McNally Easy to Read! California State Map
by Rand McNally
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars California, here I come!, 28 Sept. 2013
Double-sided and very clear and for the money (I paid £1.50 with free super saver delivery) it cannot be beat. That's not to say I won't buy a superior map or atlas when we do the trip but for now, the holiday fly-drive planning stage, it's excellent.

Hatfield and the North
Hatfield and the North

4.0 out of 5 stars Hatfield & The North - so much more than a roadsign!, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Hatfield and the North (Audio CD)
said to be from the Canterbury scene i.e. Caravan/Soft Machine (and I can see the likeness) this is really original - some instrumental passages remind me of Zappa & the Mothers (and there's no higher praise in my book). Recommended!!

Jon (the Old Hippie)

Snafu
Snafu

5.0 out of 5 stars Snafu is a great hippie freakout, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Snafu (Audio CD)
Loads of electric guitar & electric violin in v original wig-out tracks with a middle-eastern twist. One electronic track is unbearable but the rest is brilliant! If ur my age (59) and look to the past for ur thrills and think most modern bands are pathetic you'll love this!