Profile for Autumnmiss > Reviews

Content by Autumnmiss

Autumnmiss "G" (somewhere over the rainbow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Island
The Island
by Olivia Levez

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a YA classic, 13 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
This book is about fear, love, anger, disappointment and redemption. All of which make for a very powerful story. Fran is a strong character right throughout the book, you can feel her pain and understand her actions.
I adored Olivia’s description of life on the Island, It was wonderfully raw and honest. This book is not always a comfortable read but an honest one.
Along with the beautifully written descriptions there are endless quotes which I’m sure will go down in YA history. She manages to tell the story with so few words, with the clever use of just sounds and sometimes by saying nothing at all.
It is so cleverly written. Olivia has a voice which i’m certain will soon become a well loved and admired one in YA literature. I read The Island in just two days flat. I opened it as soon as it arrived and didn’t want to stop.
I personally would hate to be shipwrecked on a tropical Isle as I hate the heat and would miss my home comforts far too much but I reckon if Fran were with me i’d feel much better.
A fresh, original approach, a thrilling story that fair zings along and featuring a heroine who will not be forgotten.

The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles)
The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles)
by C. J. Daugherty

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read not to be missed, 14 Sept. 2015
I'm not usually keen on books written by more than one author. I find myself noticing the difference between writing styles and often the story doesn't gel for me because of that. The Secret Fire, however is different. Whilst the voices were distinct the story blended beautifully together and you would be hard pressed to tell that two authors were writing it.

I loved Taylor, she was a cool, unwitting, gutsy heroine. Sacha is my favourite character though, he is impulsive but has a kind heart. Together they made a great team and I found myself cheering them on as if I were at the cinema watching an exciting movie.

The pace never lets up and the exciting plot keeps rolling along and giving you endless surprises in each chapter. Its a modern day story but with a plot that wouldnt be out of place in a fantasy novel. Full of warmth, humour and magic. I could almost feel the fun that CJ and Carina must have had writing it.

I read the last 100 pages or so in one sitting, boy did my eyes ache afterwards but it was so worth it to find out what happens. I believe there is a sequel on the cards too which i'm so pleased about.

T - Tick, tock, tick, tock will they make it in time
H - How can they change the future?
E - England is Taylor's home

S - Sacha finds time is not on his side
E - Exciting race to the finish
C - Clock is ticking
R - Running from danger every day
E - Eclipsed by a dark secret
T - Taylor must prevent his death

F - France is Sacha's home
I - Is it too late to stop the inevitable?
R - Release the curse? No!
E - Everything will change unless they act fast

Seed
Seed
by Lisa Heathfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, moving, scary tale of innocence and power, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Seed (Paperback)
Seed is set in a cult run by the almost godlike Papa S. Its narrator is a young 15 year old girl named Pearl.
Seed is all Pearl has known her entire life, she trusts Papa S. and the other adults or Kindred's as they are called and believes all she is told about nature and the world around her.
Then one day, a family from 'Outside' arrive and everyone is told they will now be joining them. This sets in motion a chain of events that will cause Pearl to rethink her entire way of life.

I adored this book. I waited less than patiently for its publication day and when it arrived, dived in with glee.

The description of Seed, its inhabitants, the landscape and the relationships are so beautifully written. I felt I was really in amongst the action all the time and places mentioned mentioned more than once throughout the book began to feel very familiar.

Its a fascinating insight into what life might be like inside a cult and it deals with some fairly adult themes very well.

The story gets going right from the off and never lets up really. I read the last 1/3rd of the book in just over an hour because I literally couldn't wait to find out what happens. Its quite moving in places and I found it hard to read some of the more harrowing chapters but please don t be put off by this, Its all relevant to the plot and is balanced out nicely by the rest.

This is one awesome book!

Its brilliant!

Go out and get a copy today, buy it, borrow it, i dont care but just read it.

A humongous
10/10

The Sin Eater's Daughter (Sin Eaters Daughter Trilogy 1)
The Sin Eater's Daughter (Sin Eaters Daughter Trilogy 1)
by Melinda Salisbury

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting, thrilling fantasy not to be missed, 21 Mar. 2015
I bought this book for three reasons:

1. the gorgeous, gorgeous cover
2. the incredible hype there is about it right now
3. the story sounded so original. Who wouldn't want to read about someone who can kill you with a touch of their hand.

Its not my normal genre of interest at all but I had to give it a go and I am so very glad I did.

We learn all about Twylla from the start, how she is executioner to the court and betrothed to the Prince. I liked Twylla right away mainly because the book is written is the first person by her so you get to feel everything she goes through in such detail. The Prince on the other hand is painted as a bit of a puppet and a cold fish to boot. Melinda's writing is so skillful and she creates such amazing three dimensional characters that you find yourself choosing sides quite quickly.
Her descriptions of the castle and surroundings were stunning, I wanted to look out my window and see the grounds or the apothecary's garden as she describes them. I totally lost myself in the story and it never let up for a moment, she maintains the pace and excitement throughout and there are some clever plot twists I did not see coming as she lulls you into thinking a certain way about her characters. It is hard to believe that this book is her debut as an author because the writing feels so confident and experienced.

I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to all fans of YA or fantasy books.

How I Lost You
How I Lost You

5.0 out of 5 stars fast paced thriller you won't want to put down, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: How I Lost You (Kindle Edition)
The plot of this book is amazing. It is full of intrigue, suspense and is so well paced. Its quite a dark story in places but it never loses momentum for a second. I read it in three days straight which for a slow reader like myself is a mark of a very, very good book.

So many of the characters are not all that nice but for me Nick and Cassie were ones that i enjoyed finding out more about along with Susan herself of course.

Its THE best proof cover i've ever had. Whoever thought of putting the photo of Dylan on the front like that deserves a medal. As a magpie when it comes to book covers this drew me in and already I had awarded the book 3 smileys before i'd even turned to the first page. I also liked the smooth read, the gripping fast sentences, the pulse racing action and the non stop thrills.

I would totally recommend this to anyone who likes thrillers from authors such as S.J. Watson or Sophie McKenzie, they will adore this. So make sure you rush out and buy a copy on 23rd April when its published.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

3.0 out of 5 stars no qwerty keyboard?, 25 Jun. 2014
I cant believe in this day and age that your Kindle does not come with a qwerty keyboard installed. How can we make notes without one. I think this is very short sighted of you.
I havent bought one yet but have rated it for the description you show.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars not long enough, i wanted MORE!, 20 May 2014
Brilliant new novel from the king of fantasy Neil Gaiman. I read the last half of this book in one sitting it was so gripping and the moment i'd finished it i wanted to devour it all over again. And i never re-read books. Does that tell you how much i loved this book?

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars shabby fake, 2 Nov. 2013
This pen is a fake. It dosent even come on a card let alone a gift box. It arrived in a jiffy bag. The end of the pen that you click on and off is not like any Parker pen ive ever seen. It does not have the same indent in the end. This is clearly a foreign fake. How they have the gall to charge £6.20 for it i dont know. Im disgusted with Amazon, their service is going downhill fast.
DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding Mini Albums Outstanding Mini Albums: 50 Ideas for Creating Mini Scrapbooks 50 Ideas for Creating Mini Scrapbooks
by Jessica Acs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, packed with pictures, 22 Sept. 2012
This is a smashing book if you want to know how to make mini albums. It is in full colour and has step by step written and photo illustrations of each project. You really cant go wrong. It deserves all of its 5 stars and more.

Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console - Aqua Blue
Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console - Aqua Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun in a small package, 1 Sept. 2011
Just received this today and although i am far, far older than the average age of anyone buying one of these, i dont care. Its a fantastic piece of kit.
I have had a Nintendo DSi in the past but this is in another league altogether. I could just sit there for hours watching the 3D effects on the screen.
It comes with so many fun activities built in that i still haven't even opened the game i bought with it yet. I love the camera, it even makes me look human in the photos it takes.
I got the blue version as its my favourite colour and its one sexy looking console.
Frankly its way too good for kids so i think it should be re badged as grown-ups only!

Nintendo 3DS Aqua Blue: Handheld Console
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2011 2:01 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3