Profile for Clive > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Last Horseman
The Last Horseman

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORICAL ACCURACY & A CRACKING YARN, 12 July 2016
This review is from: The Last Horseman (Kindle Edition)
Having read and enjoyed the Master of War series, I had high hopes for The Last Horseman: I was, most definitely, not disappointed. Not since James A Michener have I read such an authentic historical novel and the research time invested by Mr Gilman shines through. Even the writing style itself is better than Mr G''s previous work, retaining merely a trace of the romantic naivety of his earlier books. The comparison to James Mitchener continues in that James A's work describes every event in the sequential story in detail. So, for example, the journey from Ireland to Africa, not described at all here, would have been drawn out in a Mitchener novel: I think that I prefer the crisp pace of David Gilman's style.

Although this book is about the Boer War, set in Africa, the first third, set in Dublin, is so compelling that I was, actually, disappointed when the story shifted continent. Then the second two-thirds of the novel sets out the scene with such clarity and evocation that the reader could almost get sunstroke from just reading this.

My only other grumble is, really, a compliment: Pierce and Edward make it out of Africa, travelling hundreds of miles across hostile territory and then finding a Portuguese ship for the journey home and how do we know this? Because few terse lines tell us so. I would have loved a few more chapters describing the adventures on that journey but then I suppose that a good author always leaves the reader wanting more. Oh yes, and some of the technical research lacked a bit of real word practicality: a Mauser rifle can, indeed, kill at 2,000 yards, but not deliberately: only in the same way that a .22 fairground rifle can kill at a distance of half a mile, if a random shot happens to hit an unlucky person 850 yards away.

I was surprised by the events at the climax of the chase (I'm trying to avoid spoilers here) but the book is better for it. At the end of the book, all of the loose ends seem to have been tied off and there are no periferal characters waiting to be developed, so there seems to be little chance of a sequel. And that's a shame because David Gilman has really hit his stride here and I crave more. Cracking stuff Mr G, please can I have some more sir?

The Steel Kiss: Lincoln Rhyme Book 12 (Lincoln Rhyme Thrillers)
The Steel Kiss: Lincoln Rhyme Book 12 (Lincoln Rhyme Thrillers)

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC DEAVER AT HIS BEST, 8 July 2016
Classic, old-style, Deaver at or near his best. All of the trademark Deaver twists are here, with multiple threads that appear unconnected yet are revealed to be fully entwined and then, of course, deceiving the reader into thinking that the real villain is in the open only to whisk away the shroud to show a previously apparently innocent to be the true villain. Deaver also uses his 'split time' device too. When I was a child, the Saturday afternoon matinee was still a feature of cinemas and these included dramatic action serials in which, at the close of episode each week the hero would, apparently, be doomed: say in a car that plunges over a precipice. Yet, the following week, the story would pick up a few minutes before the incident and, this time, the hero would be shown throwing himself from the car in the nick of time. That, in literary terms, is what Deaver does.

If I have a grumble its that there are just too many threads running here so, for example, the Pulaski thread is weak and unnecessary. Jeffrey Deaver often takes real technology and stretches the reality a bit, leaving the reader unsure where it has become unfeasible. But here, credulity is stretched further than usual. Can a novice be taught, in one afternoon, the arcane arts of sophisticated hacking? Can the devices involved really be made to do that? And there is one giant leap of 'coincidence ', essential to the plot, when the separate cases being worked by Rhyme and Sachs turn out to be the same.

Having had my grumbles, I must say that they are trivial compared to the sheer brilliance in any Deaver novel; and this one is up there with his best. I've read every one of Mr Deaver's works and yet, however much I know his style and his tricks, he still fools me every time. Long may he do so. Oh, and by the way, if you read the short story, The Delivery man, not only is that plot referenced here, but a couple of the missing pieces from that story are explained too. Brilliant Mr Deaver, just brilliant.

The Malice
The Malice

4.0 out of 5 stars FLAWED BUT STILL GOOD, 4 July 2016
This review is from: The Malice (Kindle Edition)
The Vagrant was a fairly difficult read due to its strangeness but was still, overall, pretty good and The Malice is just the same. This time, the story is carried by a young girl, Vesper, and her protector, Duet. It is, however, really just the same story re-told. I know that its odd to criticise a lack of 'reality' in a sci-field book but, for me, there were a few jarrings in here. The main problem I had was believing that such a very young child as Vesper could do all of this, displaying a maturity ano leadership way beyond her years. Then there was the Kids. I'm at odds with other reviewers here as I failed to be wooed by the quaint notion of a goat as a character. Improbable and unnecessary.

Yet, apart from those grumbles, I enjoyed this book as much as its predecessor. The bizarre world is not fully described, leading, paradoxically, to a better picture and I still love the concept of a sword gaining power from music. Right at the end of the book, the nature of the worship of The Seven, and Vesper's role within it, are explored in extremely poignant fashion, forming a satisfying ending. Certainly a flawed work but still most enjoyable.

TECHGEAR® Samsung Galaxy J5 (SM-J500 Series) GLASS Edition Genuine Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard Cover [Not For Galaxy J5 2016 (SM-J510)]]
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS, 12 Jun. 2016
I always have trouble fitting these protectors without getting bubbles (no, not Michael Jackson's monkey). This one went on better than most and seems to work fine.

Kindle for Android
Kindle for Android

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT ; IT THAT WORKS., 12 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Kindle for Android (App)
I'm an IT numpty and this works great. I use this app a lot and I'm delighted that it works so well.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 Case, EasyAcc Ultra Slim Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 T550 Cover Smart Case with Stand / Auto Sleep Wake-up for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 (Top Premium PU Leather, Folded Cover Design, Black)
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S GOOD BUT IT'S NOT KINDLE, 12 Jun. 2016
I already have a Kindle case for my 9.7" Kindle Fire and I wanted a case of similar design for my new 9.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab. But there isn't one anywhere. Instead, there are just lots of variants of this type where the front cover has two folds in it. Compared to my Kindle cover, this feels thin and flimsy but it does seem to work and the device fits very snuggly into the case.

The other thing that I couldn't find was a case that allowed the case to stand, securely, in either portrait or landscape mode. This one does OK in landscape but there just isn't anything to hold it up in portrait and just opening the case into a 'V' shape is nowhere near stable enough with such a thin case.

There are cut-outs for all of the buttons, including the SD card slot, and they all work fine. The device fits into the case well and seems to be pretty well protected from minor knocks and magnetic snap catch seems to work fine too. The back of the case is quite strong but the front is much less robust and gives little confidence in the degree of protection of the screen from a frontal attach.

Of the covers available on the market, this one seems to be fine but I just wish that someone would make a better product.

Samsung Galaxy J5 Tempered Glass Crystal Clear LCD Screen Protector Guard & Polishing Cloth + RED 2 IN 1 Dust Stopper SVL3 BY SHUKAN®, (TEMPERED GLASS)
Offered by Shukan

4.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS, 12 Jun. 2016
As always, I've struggled to get a bubble-free application but it still works OK.

Samsung Galaxy J5 Case, Galaxy J5 Case, Fyy® [Top-Notch Series] Premium PU Leather Flip Case with Two Card Slots and Note Holder for Samsung Galaxy J5 Black
Offered by FYY EU Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT QUALITY BUT A FEW NIGGLES IN USE., 12 Jun. 2016
I bought this for my new Samsung phone because it looks a bit more up-market than others. It works fine and I like it. It clips into the base firmly but, unlike some other types of case, there are no slots cut into the securing edge so the button to switch the phone on and off is fully covered by a soft edge projection. The result is that I have to use two hands to hold the phone and press the edge very firmly to turn the phone on. I'm OK with that but I can imagine that lots of folk would find it irritating. I bought a different case for my wife's identical Samsung and that has a cut-out where the on/off button is and so is much easier to use.

The whole thing is quite bulky so I don't use the card storage facility. The snap closer is quite firm and solid and the whole case has a feel of quality about it; the white stitching is especially effective as it's real stitching and not fake.

I haven't either had a phone as large as this Samsung before nor a case that works like this one, so I have been surprised by the fact that I have to take care when putting the phone into any pocket as the closing clip stands proud so the phone doesn't 'slip' easily into a pocket. And I certainly know when I've got this big phone with me.

TECHGEAR® Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 Inch (SM-T550 Series) GLASS Edition Genuine Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard Cover
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars EASY ON, 12 Jun. 2016
I find all such screen protectors difficult to apply, probably because I have all of the manual dexterity of a two-toed sloth, but I found this one easier than most to apply and, so far, it works a treat.

J5 Case , Galaxy J5 Case Cover , Samsung Galaxy J5 Cover- LANVENI [NEW TYPE] Magnetic Closure PU Leather Flip Wallet Case with Card Slots & Stand Function Protective Cover Butterfly +1x Stylus+1x Dust Plug ( 1st Gen. 2015 Version )
Offered by Lanveni

4.0 out of 5 stars MY WIFE LOVES IT, 12 Jun. 2016
I bought this for my wife's new phone and she loves it. The pattern is different to anything that her friends have and she finds the case very easy to use. She'd had this case for a while now and it's showing very little signs of wear which, given the rough treatment that it gets, is pretty good going.

Although I never use a 'pen' with my phone, my wife likes it and uses the 'pen' that came with the case a lot. Not so the strange winged plug which just seems to be something designed to break off inside the phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20