Profile for Redshark > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Fish R Fun Internal Aquarium UV Sterilizer 24 Watt
Fish R Fun Internal Aquarium UV Sterilizer 24 Watt
Offered by Aquatics Discount

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing 24W with 9W after 3 years of experience., 23 Jan. 2016
I hope this is useful information for those who are contemplating the purchase of this item.

I have owned the smaller 9W version of this 24W uv sterilizer and it was also very good. I never needed to replace the lamp and it did its job for 3 years. The flow rate was very gentle however and not sufficent to circulate my 165 litre (36 uk gallon) aquarium so I used a seperate small powerhead to provide greater flow. The 9W version broke after 3 years as the cable entering the pump unit broke where it was connected because the cable bends repeatedly at this point. Greater care could avoid this happening but I did not realise. When it broke the green water returned again shortly afterwards showing that it had been working effectively even with a 3 year old 9W uv lamp.

This larger model cleared the green water within 3 days and a further improvement in clarity resulted after a week of use. The flow with the larger 24W model is much greater and perfect for a gentle flow in my 165 litre aquarium. It does have a larger body and so there is more to accomodate within the aquarium but this is not a problem for me as it fits behind the same rock as the smaller unit. Interestingly, the point where the cable enters the pump unit has a reinforced connection which bodes well for longevity. Also worth noting is that the transformer is very heavy and cannot be left hanging as I did with the smaller model. Luckily the cabling is long enough for me to fit the transformer within the cupboard underneath my aquarium so there is again no issue there.

Importantly, I recieved good service from Rocket Aquatics and the sterilizer was a brand new one in new packaging and arrived swiftly. On 01 Jan 2016 I had bought a 700IF from All Pond Solutions which is a 700 l/h internal filter with 9w UV steriliser but this was supplied in opened and damaged packaging and was not working. It was sent back for a refund which after much prompting eventually arrived on 10 Mar.

I have found that when the water flow on this 24W reduces I can back-flush it by disconnecting the pump and reversing the flow while holding the pump onto the light unit. This seems quite easy to do. Also, I needed a cable tie to secure the unit to a rock in my aquarium as I found the sucker ineffective in my application.

Freeze Dried Gammarus Shrimp Fish Food For Tropical and Marine, Turtle and Koi (50g)
Offered by Finest Fish Food LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars An easier shrimp to handle., 2 Jan. 2016
I am using freeze dried gammarus as a regular source of roughage for my fish, mainly Clown Loaches and Congo Tetras. I find it easier to handle than shrimp because the gammarus lacks the sharp rostrum (nose) that shrimp have. The sharp rostrum penetrated the skin of my hands and I fear what it could do to the insides of my fish. I take a few gammarus and put them in some hot water to soak. Then I squeeze the soaked and cooled gammarus to expel air so that they will sink in the aquarium. Apart from the nutritional benefit I think it may be useful for the fishes digestive systems to feed a range of natural foods in addition to processed foods. Gammarus seem a common component of the ecology of many freshwater ecosystems.

Silverline 598570 Drill Gauge, 1 - 13 mm
Silverline 598570 Drill Gauge, 1 - 13 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy bit of kit., 28 Dec. 2015
I've found it useful already as I could not read the sizes on my used bits and needed to identify them with this guage.

Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax 250ml
Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax 250ml
Offered by Saverschoice UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep shine not deep pockets., 28 Dec. 2015
I cleaned my newly purchased 3-year old red sports car thoroughly with shampoo, dried it off, clayed it and polished it thoroughly before finally applying this top coat wax. I found it easy to apply and buff off and the car looked suitably glossy afterwards. The red paint colour was not darkened.

In short, I can't imagine that anybody would be less than delighted with this product which is the finest wax that I have encountered. Don't be put off by the low price.

Edz Merino Wool Liner Gloves - Red, Medium
Edz Merino Wool Liner Gloves - Red, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Medium/Large = medium in my opinion., 8 Dec. 2015
I am a medium in mens gloves and ordered the medium/large size. They fit me perfectly and feel very warm indoors and appear nicely made. The material is thin compared to other woolen gloves that I have but is very dense. I look forward to testing them out in the winter and intend to report back on their performance.

MARIGOLD GLOVES OUTDOOR LGE
MARIGOLD GLOVES OUTDOOR LGE
Offered by World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for litter picking., 8 Dec. 2015
This review is from: MARIGOLD GLOVES OUTDOOR LGE
I found a Medium pair of these left by someone else at work and they came in useful in an emergency for litter picking outdoors in a mild spell in the rain when they performed superbly. I have medium man's hands but these were a tight fit so I ordered myself a pair of Large ones. Hopefully my hands with glove liners will fit and give some extra warmth as these gloves are not warm but they are waterproof (of course) and great for tasks where they will not be punctured.

Men's Gardening Gloves, Rose Large (L)
Men's Gardening Gloves, Rose Large (L)
Offered by Bionic Gloves

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality but certainly not quantity!, 8 Dec. 2015
These are really wonderful gloves for working with brambles and roses and other prickly plants. Probably an extravagance but I tell myself my hands are worth protecting and its great to have quality gear when doing awkward tasks.

I can do all the usual things I need to do such as driving, using a handkerchief, finding things in my pockets etc. without having to take the gloves off so in this respect they are a good compromise.

I have in the past used welders gloves which are cheap and offer more protection but I need to remove them to do anything detailed.

My one big gripe with these gloves is that they are really small.

I read the review by Miss Preedy who bought medium for her father which was too small and she needed to order another pair in large. As I take a medium sized men's glove at best I thought the large would be ample but blow me down if it isn't a very tight fit for me.

I should have ordered extra large. Hopefully they will stretch given time and fit me perfectly! At least the gloves do not slip off!

Prym Sew-On Imitation Suede Elbow/Knee Patches Grey (2pk)
Prym Sew-On Imitation Suede Elbow/Knee Patches Grey (2pk)
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying to extend the life of good trousers., 24 Nov. 2015
These will be on well after the trousers have worn everywhere else.

Mens braces black wide adjustable and elastic suspenders Y shape with a very strong clips - Heavy duty Black
Offered by Decalen

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for wax cotton trousers., 24 Nov. 2015
Very good. These are excellent and have not come off.

Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Offered by worldofbargain888

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but a step down for me., 24 Nov. 2015
These are strictly cheap and cheerful. Much weaker than what I am used to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12