Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for gwiltychan > Reviews

Content by gwiltychan

"gwiltychan"

SimCity 4 (PC)
SimCity 4 (PC)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed, not very happy., 11 Jun. 2003
This review is from: SimCity 4 (PC) (Video Game)
I've been playing this for a week, and so far all I can do is go deeply into the red in a very short space of time. There may be graphical enhancements, but these take a toll on the best of machines - the current machine which is barely a month old is having a hard time of it. And I have NO IDEA what the patch on the official website is supposed to do, apart from ruin the graphics.
Seriously considering reinstalling SC3 - haven't played it in years, but was very happy with the quality of the graphics and gameplay
Oh, and this time the music is really bad - import your own mp3 files (it doesn't understand shortcuts)
I'm frustrated and intrigued by it - but the most intriguing thing is what is different from SC3...
... Oh yeah - importing your sims. It brings nothing to either game and would appear to be just another marketing attempt to link two great games which still have nothing fundamentally in common - at least nothing that works well.
In summary - horrific hardware requirements in all departments, seems very hard to play successfully, and not a lot of difference over its predecessor.
Oh, and maybe it's me, but I think its traffic rules are beyond rocket science. Build bus stops - nobody uses them. Build subways - more of the same. Highways - never had enough money to try it.

Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town
Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town
by Paul Theroux

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Journey, 2 Feb. 2003
Mr Theroux has managed to combine the uncertainties of a premature sense of old age with an objective and experienced view on Africa, and without losing the opportunity to describe the beauty of its landscape and people. I have been truly moved by this book, which brought into question my own views from personal experience. His descriptions of Eqypt resonate vividly with my own experience, a beautiful and vibrant country, hampered by beauraucracy, baksheesh and the uncertainty of current times. The Kenya and South Africa I experienced where inconsequential business trips to beautiful places, unfortunately with the business traveller's view of little more than the hotel.
I was intrigued by his ability to know or meet people almost everywhere he went - this is obviously a man who loves Africa and its people. Questioning everything, and coming to conclusions that would surprise most people I feel that this book is more than a story about a journey - it highlights the dilemma of the first world's 'involvement' with the modern Africa today.

Lemonjelly.ky
Lemonjelly.ky

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best record I have?, 15 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Lemonjelly.ky (Audio CD)
You know when something just fits - I've had this for a long time now and it's still my favourite, something to come home to relax to, something that my friends go 'Oh, what's this?' when I put it on and a regular feature on the daily commute.
It's just so much FUN!
Staunton Lick is the best - it just grows so well - and impossible to turn off when it comes on. King Rahm - beautiful. Homage to Patagonia - twinkly. In the Bath - gorgeous.
These guys did a great job. I'm envious of their ability to actually find a new twist on music. Sure, they're going to be lobbed into the chillout section, but it's not quite right - they're far more into having fun than lying around listening to banal washy chord changes.
I hope that they're still doing the gatefold sleeve - it cost a lost money originally, but I think that they've probably recouped the expense - it's so bloody good.
A complete package. And the penultimate track (which I'm listening to now) - Cole Porter meets the dancefloor is my take on it.
You will not regret buying this album if you've got this far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2012 3:40 PM BST

Reich: Different Trains / Electric Counterpoint
Reich: Different Trains / Electric Counterpoint

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Reich to buy, 14 Dec. 2002
I have a lot of Steve Reich, and hardly listen to any of it at home - it is very intense and requires a lot of concentration. I would say that I find it more suited to the public performance - it is not background music. However, this has a musicality about it that is engaging and mesmerising.

Programmed to Love
Programmed to Love
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete work, 14 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
You will have heard Bent already - they are the sort of band that produce music that the good TV and advertising people pick up on. It's fantastic - easy, tuneful, haunting, complex (which I know contradicts the easy). One of the few albums that I will actually listen to all the way through - a complete work with no bum tracks. Something to come home to and relax with. Great song titles. I love the bonus track (although recording the five minutes of silence before it kicks in on my MP3 player is a bit of a waste.
If you've bought any compilation with a Bent track on, and like it, you will not regret exploring them further.
Lovely Lovely Lovely