Profile for SimonB > Reviews

SimonB

Sound Awake
Sound Awake

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary aural experience, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of the band's first effort Themata, I thought I'd give this album a go. I will admit that I wasn't immediately impressed. It didn't have the instantly accessible, stronger tracks that Themata had and whilst it definitely had a feeling of consistency that demanded another play, it didn't grab me in the first three or four plays.

I was just about to write it off... and then I listened to it. I mean, I really listened to it. And then I really listened to it again. And again! Each time I played the album through, I noticed something new about it. It was then I realised the startling depth to the album; the real maturity woven in amongst the genius melodies and advanced progressive time signatures. This is a record that grew and grew and grew on me, to the point that I realised I had been listening to it for weeks without getting tired of it.

After I had finally taken in all the beautiful musicalities and Ian Kenny's breathtaking vocals- even stronger than on Themata, I hasten to add- I came to rest on possibly my biggest praise for the album: the lyrics. The lyrical content never falls below supreme. It appears that several of the songs are asking profound questions on religion and theology, often with cynical undertones. Other songs have an essence that is perhaps a lot more universal, with my personal favourite being "All I Know," which is a stunning and, in my opinion, transcendental take on a failing long-term relationship. In fact, possibly even more poignant is "Umbra," the deeply moving and very vivid insight into depression and perhaps even alcoholism. Not to go overkill on the praise, but this song has actually brought me to tears on some occasions. Quite an achievement!

I will conclude here, despite having volumes more to say about the album. It's my favourite album, put simply. Buy it, let it challenge you, move you and inspire you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2013 7:59 AM BST

Final Conversation of Kings
Final Conversation of Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful masterpiece., 11 July 2010
I purchased this album having only heard their début album Begins Here. I thought Begins Here was a good album, and I had heard from other fans that Final Conversation of Kings was not quite as good as the band has 'mellowed' a little. However, it only took a couple plays of FCOK for me to realise that I was listening what would become my all-time favourite album. There is no weak track to be heard on the album, and I think the flow of the album is one of the best I've ever heard.

The album kicks off with 'Worlds on Fire', a track which can only be described as epic as it takes you on a 7-minute journey through brooding lyrics, weeping guitar licks, big riffs, and even bigger vocals. Most would argue this would be a good way to end the album but I think it's an even better way to start the album; it certainly gives the listener flavours of other songs on the album, adding to the 'flow' I was praising earlier.

Other notable songs include 'Window and the Watcher' with its punchy riff and big chorus; also 'In These Hands' has hard-hitting lyrics, and even harder-hitting guitar work and vocals combination. In fact, In These Hands is not only my personal favourite on the album, but it very quickly became one of my favourite songs ever. Couldn't get it out of my head for weeks!

Overall, I cannot fault this album in any way. Every song has a brilliant balance of lamenting melodies, catchy riffs, beautiful lyrics and perhaps above all, Boge's unforgettable vocal performance. It blows my mind how he switches effortlessly between soft, almost fragile tones to a powerful and gutsy 'boom'. I would usually want to add a small list of other acts that they can be compared to, but I cannot really put them in any existing category. I would have to say that if you are a fan of Karnivool, Birds of Tokyo, Cog etc. then this is going to be a great addition to your seemingly all-Australian collection.