Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for One Love, One Heart, Lets Get Together... > Reviews

Content by One Love, One ...

One Love, One Heart, Lets Get Together... (GREAT Britain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Blow [DVD] [2001]
Blow [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, 30 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Blow [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
The presence of Johnny Depp is enough to sell me any film, but this one really is cracker. 'Blow' is different - the good sort of different. It's very cleverly made, the acting is superb and the elements of humour are brilliant.

I always find it difficult to write rave film reviews without ruining the plot, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Another good part of the film is that it manages to blend the emotions together well. There are times of very clever humour, tragedy, hoplessness and just straight up cool. At around 2 hours long, it contains pretty much everything you could ask for in a film, namely Johnny Depp! But it truly is a very well rounded film with expert touches in the script and direction that bring it above just 'good'.

I'd reccomend giving it a go to lovers of Johnny and fans of films like 'Pulp Fiction', but if even that's not you, don't overlook this.

Definitely worth a watch!

Girlfriend [2 Track CD]
Girlfriend [2 Track CD]
Offered by CD-Blitzversand

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Catchy, 19 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Girlfriend [2 Track CD] (Audio CD)
When you hear this song, unless you are a die hard fan of Avril, you will want to hate it. You'll probably pretend to all your friends that you hate it. I tried with every inch of my body to despise this overly American-poprock song, but it just ain't gunna happen.

I don't really consider Avril to be a serious sort of song-writer/ talented artsit, but I think it's more than OK to have songs like this in your collection. It just puts a smile on your face and you can't help but tap your feet to it. Sometimes you just don't want to really get deeply into a song, listen to the lyrics and understand the concept. Songs like this are laid out plain and simple. You'll either love this or hate it. I tried the latter, but I can't deny it any longer.

Swallow some pride real-music lovers. I have and I'm diggin' this track!

Rock on Avril!!!

Walk This Way
Walk This Way
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Not?!, 28 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Walk This Way (Audio CD)
Yes, yes we can all have a moan that a classic has been ruined, but don't take this too seriously. These girls have not tried to better the original, they've just pumped it up a little. I personally think it's brilliant.

It sounds enough like the original version without being a complete copy - because lets be honest, had the girls tried to sound the same as Aerosmith and Run DMC it's fair to say it wouldn't have worked. Instead they've jazzed it up a little, added some extras and generally put their own stamp on what was already a great song.

It'll definitely get you dancing, and I also feel that it's important that it's a positive, up-tempo kind of re-mix as it is for a serious cause. The last thing everyone wants is a predictable tear-jerking ballad. Conversely, this re-make gives a positive and vibrant feel to the listener which will hopefully encourage lots of support for the charity involved.

I also think another ingredient of success with this song is the fact that both groups don't take themselves too seriously - they know they can't genuinly emulate the rapping of Run DMC, but they give it a go without sounding completely ridiculous. I don't think there are many other pop groups that could have got away with this one, but Girls Aloud and Sugababes are probably the 2 best pop groups in Britain right now.

I for one will definitely be buying this on it's release, primarily because it's for a good cause but also due to the fact that I think it's a fantastic re-mix.

A very fitting idea for a great cause. Well done to Girls Aloud and the Sugababes - very impressive and brilliant fun!

Hats Off To The Buskers
Hats Off To The Buskers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but..., 15 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Hats Off To The Buskers (Audio CD)
...unfortunately these lads stand to be destroyed by the ever excitable media and commercial world. Yes, it seems to be a re-occuring pattern now. I think the most obvious comparison will be with the Arctic Monkeys - a brilliant, amazing, exhillarating band that are slowly and painfully being picked apart by over-exposure. You get the feeling that such bands would rather remain in the sheltered'underground' of music, where there are loyal and passionate fans a plenty and less of the overly-enthusiatstic, money-snatching moguls.

However, there is nothing I or indeed anyone can do to stop this, and so I shall proceed with my raving of this fantastic band.

Where to start?

To be blunt about it, every single song on this album brings something fresh and delivers effortlessly every time. I can understand why some people feel that many of the songs are a bit repetitive which is fair comment. However if you go into this album wanting and expecting it to be good, which I did, then you will thoroughly enjoy it.

My personal faves are "Superstar Tradesman", "Face For The Radio"(which I'm predicting will become the (pronounce as 'theee') tune of the summer, and subsequently will become hideously over-played and thus, I shall then probably resent it forever more) and the unquestionably brilliant "Wasted Little DJ's". Other songs that provide highs and deserve a mention are the rousing "Comin' Down", infectious "The Don" and the down-right crazy "Skag Trendy". However, I promise you that every single song is actually quite fantastic.

Some people have said that they are just Libertine wannabes, and yes, it would be fair to say that they have obviously taken inspiration from the legends themselves, but there's nowt wrong with that as far as I'm concerned!

All in all I would encourage you to buy this album, however I won't be too upset if you don't because a) I'll never know anyway and b) I already own it so I'm content.

Further listening I hear you eagerly cry?

Rather predictably, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes.

About What You Know
About What You Know
Offered by wantitcheaper

2.0 out of 5 stars Monkey Wannabees!, 9 Feb. 2007
This review is from: About What You Know (Audio CD)
I know reviews like this usually rile people, so I appologize in advance, but quite frankly I am sick to the teeth of bandwagonner after bandwagonner of bands who think, just because they can sing with an accent, they have a right to be succesful.

Whilst I accept that such bands as Little Man Tate wrote all their songs before the Arctic Monkeys were even a twinkle in Music's eye, to be frank - it's too late. The industry does not need another fifty bands with northern accents - the Monkeys were the quickest to get a deal and release an album, and other bands should accept that and move on, or produce something with a touch of originality. It's boring. I'm dozing just thinking of the current state of Indie bands.

Their single, Sexy In Latin, was by no means a shoddy performance (note 2*s) but it just sounds so unoriginal.

Im sorry lads, but you should have moved quicker!

Sex and the City: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD]
Sex and the City: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Jessica Parker
Offered by A-2-B DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars I Heart NY, 9 Feb. 2007
Sex and the City is officially the greatest tv show ever to grace the screens. Every single episode is witty, emotional, saucy, and down-right hilarious. I can't get enough!!!

If ever (and these days it's quite often) there is nothing on tv in the evenings or even a Sunday afternoon, I'll stick one of the series' on and it's guarenteed to put a smile on my face. Each character is different and brilliant in their own right, and the writers really should be knighted or something because I think it's just unbelievably brilliant!

Some people say it's only for girls, and I can't really comment on that because I am one, but I think the humour is definitely superb enough to stretch across both genders. Undoubtedly, the fashion part of the show is highly enjoyable for the majority of the female sex, but SATC is so much more than Carrie's bloody shoes (because she really does have to mention them in e-v-e-r-y single episode!!)

The only tiny gripe I have with this series is in the first episode, when Carrie is randomly visiting museums and it starts to pour down with rain - she persists to scream (and I'm talking a very-high pitched scream) about 4 times because she's getting wet. It sounds petty, but it really is quite irritating.

OK, moan over, (I had to say something negative) That aside I can't really differentiate between each series because they are all equally amazing.

Just watch it!!!!!!

The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but EXTREMELY Overrated, 9 Feb. 2007
This film is not at all bad, however I can't help but feel that it has been extremely over-hyped. Meryl Streep is unquestionably a talented lady but her perfomance in this is, to but it bluntly, nothing special. I was very surprised to hear that she had been nominated for an Oscar.

To me, this film was an above-average chick-flick and nothing more. I don't want to ridicule it because it's a decent film, I just thought I'd warn those of you out there who are going to purchase this based on all the hype.

I felt that the storyline was quite weak - once you got the idea, many of the jokes were repetitive and predictable, like most chick flicks. Anne Hathaway's character was a bit too weak and you sort of sat there, wanting her to have a bit more attitude or spunk. For me the stongest role was Emily Blunt in the role of 'Emily'. She was the only character that actually made me laugh out loud, but you sort of think that it should be the lead roles doing that.

I won't spoil the plot, I just wanted to warn those of you who haven't seen it that it is really, just another chick-flick that is enjoyable, but certainly not breathtaking.

Costello Music
Costello Music
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Not To Be Taken Too Seriously!, 31 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Costello Music (Audio CD)
Ok so lets be honest. This album doesn't contain anything too pioneering or indeed inspiring, but it's simply a good bit of fun. When I bought this album, I wasn't expecting anything remarkably different to any other band that's out there at the moment. Frankly, I in fact feel that the 'indie' scene has quickly become a monotonous conveyer belt of trivial noise. The only difference with the Fratellis is that they don't claim to be anything special, they know it's a bit of fun and they excell in it. Each of the songs are lively and effervescent, and never fail to bring a smile to the face.

It's the bands that try to be cool, that try to be innovative and individual that are bringing the influx of indie music down to the ground with a heavy bump. Ironically, these are the bands that turn out to be quite the opposite of what they're aiming for. The Fratellis provide a welcome break from all the 'wannabe taken seriously' bands that bore my head off.

Aside from 'Chelsea Dagger' (If I hear that damn song one more time it's quite likely that I shall spontaniously combust) and 'Whistle For The Choir' (quite possibly the most irritating song of the year, brought about by that break with the whistling. Why?), Costello Music blends together a welcome mixture of up-tempo rock/pop songs. 'Cuntry Boys And City Girls ', 'Henrietta' and 'Creeping Up The Backstairs' provide the high points, but the other songs ain't too scummy themselves.

All in all, nothing to shout about, nor cry about. Just give it a go and smile!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Show Stopper, 28 Jan. 2007
I don't actually own this album because it hasn't been released in the UK yet!(Hint hint Bad Boy Records!) However, I did see most of Making the Band 3 and have heard samples of these tracks.

For me, 'Show Stopper' is one of the songs of the year, and I think is about to be released in the UK, so hopefully that indicates the album to follow. One can only hope.

The top tracks on this album have to be 'Show Stopper', 'Sleep On It'(which is too hot for words!), 'One Shot' and 'Ride For You', but there are also many more brilliant tracks on the album.

Diddy has had a great year with Press Play and Danity Kane are the icing on the cake of an amazing bit of work by him.

I really feel that Danity Kane can make it big over here - the Pussycat Dolls have been hugely succesful and in my opinon these girls are way more talented. All 5 of Danity Kane have great voices and are brilliant dancers, I just hope they drop this album in the UK ASAP!!!

Bring it on Diddy!

The Blinding
The Blinding
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 31 Dec. 2006
This review is from: The Blinding (Audio CD)
ie - Blinding. I think there are many people who will never open their minds and listen to Babyshambles, out of principle. Well, more fool them. So you've never heard of a rock star who has taken drugs?

'The Blinding EP' is a dazzling concoction of mind-blowing lyrics, uplifting riffs and impeccable drumming. Each song is vastly different from the next, and though I'd have loved Babyshambles to release a full album, and these five songs of effortless brilliance leave you craving for more. Hopefully 2007 will bring a long awaited follow up to 'Down In Albion', though rumours of a Pete Doherty solo-album is a mouth-watering prospect.

So track by track-
1) 'The Blinding' - the released title track is a hard-hitting, stomping tune written. It's very infectious and you cannot help but sing along - a great song.

2) 'Love You But You're Green' - A slow song that carries a rather down-hearted tune. The lyrics are brilliant and there isn't anything bad to point out, although I always prefer Babyshambles doing what they do best - pure rock'n'roll.

3) 'I Wish' - A fantastic, up-beat song that carries an incredible, infectious and uplifting tune. This is contrasted by the dark lyrics - 'I wish to God, I'd just been stabbed'. Pure genius.

4) 'Beg, Steal or Borrow' - My favourite Babyshambles song for a long times. Although Pete's acoustic version was probably even better than this (and if you haven't heard it, you simply need to!), this more produced account of a fantastic song is still brilliant. Positive lyrics from Pete leave hope for the future.

5) 'Sedative' - It seems people are undecided on this song, but I for one thinks it's great. Definitely an anthem - I can only imagine how spine-tingling it would be to hear it live. Superb.

I feel strongly that this EP is a great piece of work from one of the only remaining bands who still carry the true spirit of rock'n'roll.

Here's to a full album. Up the Albion!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5