Profile for Zoonie > Reviews

Content by Zoonie

Zoonie (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Men's Women's Novelty Jumper Sweater Retro Christmas Xmas Novelty Winter Fairisle

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas cracker, 11 Nov. 2013
There is a young lady in the family who is a level-headed, successful professional person all year-round, but who goes crackers at Christmas. It is infectious, because when I ordered this jumper in October, I had to hand it over straight away. Well, she has to plan ahead which earrings to wear on Christmas Day, the sparkly stars or the Christmas trees? And what headgear? Hats or antlers? Plus she has to dress her husband suitably to fit in with the fun. As you can see, she needed advance notice of her jumper.
I would recommend this for any Christmas lunatic (sorry, ENTHUSIAST) on your list. It is good quality for the money.

Diana [DVD]
Diana [DVD]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy!, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Diana [DVD] (DVD)
I do not own the DVD. I saw this in the cinema where the big screen does it no favours.
Where to begin? Even the clothes are shoddy! The replicas of Diana's famous dresses are dreadful. Zips that do not lie flat, VPL, cheap-looking materials that do not drape, pads of flesh showing at the armholes, things that would never have been seen on Diana. The film was so boring that spotting the clothes mistakes was the most fun of the experience, then comparing notes with my daughter on the way home.
There is no story. Basically two people have the same conversation over and over again. The other characters are few and very slight.
This a film you would at best fast-forward through, but it is more likely you would prefer to switch off and stare at the wall.

Philomena [DVD]
Philomena [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-affirming, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Philomena [DVD] (DVD)
If I were C.E.O. of Kleenex or any other paper hankie manufacturer, I would get my name down as a sponsor of this film! The fact that the poignancy of the story is lightened by moments of laughter somehow makes it all the more real, but then it is a true story.
I have always admired Judi Dench (as has everyone else) and now I have a new-found respect for Steve Coogan who is not only a superb actor but who also collaborated on the moving, subtle, tragic, comic, life-affirming script.
(A special warning to mothers everywhere......do not wear mascara to see this one! )

Blue Jasmine [DVD] [2013]
Blue Jasmine [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Cate Blanchett

4.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass in acting, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Blue Jasmine [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A compelling film that keeps your eyes glued to the screen, your ears sharp to pick up every nuance of the dialogue. I do not know when I have seen such superb acting without exception from an entire cast, including the bewildered children.
The glimpse into the higher echelons of American society are fascinating, and cleverly contrasted with the blue-collar lifestyle.
Oscars are sure to reign down on this film.
I shall certainly want to own the DVD and will watch it again at intervals. There is much to savour.
So why only four stars? Well, a niggly doubt about the plot......surely Jasmine's new fiancé would have sussed her out at an earlier stage? Gone to her address? Checked her out with his upper-class contacts? (Just a little niggle.)

10 X different colors - Mini STYLUS PENS - Pack of 10- High Quality - HIGH CAPACITIVE Mini STYLUS TOUCH PENS FOR IPAD 1, IPAD 2 New Apple iPad & iPad 3, ipad 4, ipad mini, Apple iPhone 5 5th 5G, IPHONE 4 4S, IPHONE 3GS, IPOD TOUCH 3 - IPOD TOUCH 4, SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB2 10.1 SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 i9300 - SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 i9100, SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE S5830 -SAMSUNG S4 i9500 - HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Smart phones, Android, Mobile Phones, PC, Nokia, LG, Sony Ericsson, Nexus, Fire, Kindle and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pens - FREE (Fashion Sparkling Diamond Dustproof Plug) with Every Order

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 30 Oct. 2013
OK, I already had a stash of similar stylus pens, so why did I order ten more? Well, the rational explanation is they are not expensive, and I cannot text easily without a stylus.
The irrational (and more truthful explanation) is that I love things like that....post-it notes are another addiction.
So many lovely wee stylus pens and in all different colours, now who could resist?

Le Week-End [DVD]
Le Week-End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Broadbent

2.0 out of 5 stars A deeply depressing mishmash, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Le Week-End [DVD] (DVD)
What does this film want to be?

A comedy? No, it is too dark.
A reflection of real life? Not any reality I recognise.

Nouvelle vague? That genre died with the sixties

In fact, Le Weekend is a deeply depressing mishmash that wants to be clever but sinks in its own confusion.

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Black Flip Case
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Black Flip Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, 24 Oct. 2013
My husband inherited my old mobile phone, but he was not so keen on the pink case (men are funny!) so I sent for this black one.
I could not believe the price (£1.89) and that includes postage and packing! A real bargain. The quality is excellent, too.

For Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 S 3 S111 Mini i8190 Genuine Cow Leather Mobile Phone Flip Case Cover Shell By BinaryTech (Baby Pink)

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby pink!, 18 Oct. 2013
This was desperately needed because my new phone had already slipped out of my grasp twice onto hard surfaces. I am pleased because the order came promptly. It is not an expensive item so well worth the outlay of a few quid.

One wee quibble ( and I see another reviewer feels exactly the opposite!) I would have preferred the magnetic fastening tag to be longer so that my stylus, which is permanently plugged in to the earphone socket, would fit neatly underneath as it did with my previous phone and phone cover. Now it dangles dangerously out of the case, and I must warn you all that I get very bad-tempered if I have no stylus to help me text, so watch out world!

Seriously, this is an honest item, honestly described at an honest price.

Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil Eau de Toilette for Women and Men 100 ml
Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil Eau de Toilette for Women and Men 100 ml
Offered by UK Fragrance Boutique

2.0 out of 5 stars WEAK, 1 Sept. 2013
(I was given this perfume as a very generous birthday present from my son, and I hope he does not read this review.)

When I first smelled Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, I thought how subtle and classy and understated it was. Huh! It is so subtle that even if I douse myself in it, minutes later it as if I was wearing no perfume at all. Thinking it might just be my sense of smell, I have been asking close friends if they can detect it. No, they can't. It just disappears, and fast. Desperately disappointing for that money. (Don't tell my boy I said so!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2015 3:12 AM GMT

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

3.0 out of 5 stars A very long short story, 18 Aug. 2013
This is not a novel but a very, very long short story which could have been, ought to have been, a gripping tale. A novel has sub plots, a variety of characters and a novel needs space. A short story is basically one good idea, told economically but with flair. (Look at Daphne Du Maurier's 'The Apple Tree' for a really fine example. ) Before I Go To Sleep has the one good, intriguing idea, but it is padded out with repetition so that the tension is lost and many pages can be quickly skimmed.

I read to the end despite the long dry patches because I wanted to know what happened, but it was a relief to put it down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17