Profile for Zoonie > Reviews

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

4.0 out of 5 stars Less is more, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
A magnificent dynamic tale leading you through ordinary life in NY, trauma, bereavement, great Art, antique furniture, drug addiction, living literally and metaphorically on the edge of the desert, Amsterdam , High Society and the lowest of low-life, a 'St Valentine's Day Massacre' scene , The Goldfinch is a varied, sumptuous story that sadly ends 'with a whimper.'
If I had been asked to review The Goldfinch when I was only half-way through, I would have written a five-star eulogy, struggling to find words to express adequately my admiration and esteem.
I finished reading it last night.

"Too many notes, Herr Mozart" is a line from Amadeus to illustrate the ignorance and self-importance of the Emperor. Oh dear, but here I go......too many words Fraulein Tartt. It is a tribute to the earlier brilliance of the story that I struggled through those final (can I say 'flatulent?' ) pages. Judiciously pruned and thinned, this book could rival any other work of fiction.

This is a quibble, but it kept me awake. The narrator says on page 763 he wrote based on his collection of writings from childhood onwards, diaries, notes, records, letters. OK, so where in his pillar-to -post adolescence did he store them? Where were they when he travelled across the USA on bus with a dog as luggage? Anyone who holds on to a lot of paperwork (I blush!) knows how bulky and unwieldy it is.

Blueteck Pink With White Spot, Leather 360 Degree Rotating Stand Case Cover For IPAD 2 ,3 ,4

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection for Ipad, 29 Mar. 2014
For such an inexpensive item, this is a sturdy cover and my ipad feels well- protected
Previously I had just a screen cover, so when I first put this one on, it made the ipad suddenly heavier, but I soon got used to that. My last cover was a muted purple and sometimes made it hard to see where I had left the ipad (I am inclined to be scatty with my possessions.). My new pink spotty cover is much more visible so easier to locate.
I do not know how durable it will turn out to be, but if it lasts more than a few months, I will have had my money's worth.
I think though that it will be more robust than that.

Homecraft Bathlift Bathing Cushion
Homecraft Bathlift Bathing Cushion
Offered by Betterlife at LloydsPharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 24 Mar. 2014
A broken arm left me (temporariy, I hope!) without the strength to push myself up and out of the bath. OK, I can take a shower, but I missed my long relaxing soaks. Encouraged by the very positive reviews, I sent for this bathing chair.
The service was excellent .You cannot beat this :- I ordered it on a Friday. On the Saturday I got a phone call telling me it would be dispatched on Monday for delivery on Tuesday. On Tuesday it was here. I charged up overnight and had a 'dry run' next day, followed by my first bath since the accident. I have to say that my initial experience was a little unnerving, because as I re-inflated the chair, the back pillow nearly pushed me off the seat. This happened several times, so the relaxing nature of the actual bathing was spoiled by the worry of the real possibility of ending up helpless on the bottom of the bath unable to pull myself out. I asked advice from others on here which proved very useful. Basically, as the back cushion inflates first, you need to sit back firmly on it when coming up, with feet planted on the bottom of the bath, knees bent. Now the teething troubles are over, I can enjoy a bath and use up all the lovely toiletries unused from Christmas.
To sum up in a few words:- Excellent service . Sturdy reliable product, easy to install, easy to operate and easy to remove. Takes a few tries though to get the hang of it.
Update on 10 April.
Great after sales service. The call centre is the most pleasant I have ever dealt with. Efficient as well.
I have just taken delivery of a new hand control, the first one having stopped working. I was given an hour's time slot for delivery, and the courier came bang in the middle of the hour. I am impressed.

The Butler [DVD] [2013]
The Butler [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Forest Whitaker

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Butler [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
My deep hatred of racism coupled with an almost childish hero worshipping of Oprah should have ensured nothing but lavish praise from me. The truth is that when I saw this at the cinema a few weeks ago, I was disappointed.
It hurts a bit to say it, but the script is too neat, too pat. When race is being discussed in the White House, the butler incredibly walks in at just the right moment, on President after President throughout the years.
The acting is excellent. If only the actors had been given a script worthy of them .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 8:44 AM GMT

100 Years by Royal Albert 1900 to 1940 10-Piece Cup and Saucer Set, Multi-Color
100 Years by Royal Albert 1900 to 1940 10-Piece Cup and Saucer Set, Multi-Color

5.0 out of 5 stars An antique for the future, 8 Jan. 2014
For anyone who loves fine china, this is something to enjoy and to treasure always, a beautiful selection of fine, delicate teacups and saucers that anyone would be proud to own and to hand down to their children. ( Downton Abbey may have teacups as good, but not better because it would be hard to find anything superior.)

I bought this set as a Christmas present for someone else, but I am hankering after having one of my own, so I will but another soon, maybe even today.

BLACK+DECKER DV9610N 9.6 V Cyclonic Action Dustbuster
BLACK+DECKER DV9610N 9.6 V Cyclonic Action Dustbuster

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet hair problem solved, 26 Dec. 2013
Bought as a Christmas gift for a cat owner who needs to get rid of pet hairs when she gets home in the evening after a hard day at work. Mad Cat Girl is well impressed. She finds it compact, very portable, and it does the job efficiently and quickly without her having to drag the Hoover out .
And I too I am well impressed by Amazon service on this one. I ordered it on Sunday 22 December, and thanks to express delivery, it was delivered on Christmas Eve, plus I was given a one -hour time slot in which to expect it. It arrived punctually.
So hurrah for the Dust Buster, and hurrah for Amazon expressed delivery!

Peppa Pig Sit n Bounce - Blue
Peppa Pig Sit n Bounce - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie loves it, 25 Dec. 2013
Sophie loves it, so I love it too. What is it about Peppa Pig that enchants little girls so much?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 11:02 PM GMT

The Golden Rules of Acting
The Golden Rules of Acting
by Andy Nyman

5.0 out of 5 stars A peek backstage, 6 Dec. 2013
After seeing KM's review, I decided that I wanted to read this, although I have no personal ambitions (or talent!)
It is an unusual book in that it is a fun read at the same time as being packed full of life wisdom.
We are all a little intrigued by the acting profession, its ups and downs and lucky breaks, its triumphs and disappointments. This book is a peek backstage.
I sent for two copies. I know the recipient of the other one will enjoy finding it in his Christmas stocking.

Sergei - Compare the Meerkat Official Plush Toy
Sergei - Compare the Meerkat Official Plush Toy
Offered by Premium Pro Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasured possession, 13 Nov. 2013
Sergei, complete with all his hilarious documentation was given to me, and I shall treasure him always.
Sergei is made to a very high standard. His shirt and tie are better quality than some of the stuff I wear.
With his glasses perched firmly on his nose, he is heart-meltingly gorgeous. To be honest, although he is perfectly safe, I would not give him to a child because he is an ideal adult companion and confidante.
(Please do not think I have been bullied into this review by Sergei who is looking pleadingly at me as I type. Bullied no, charmed, yes!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 11:37 PM BST

Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Unlocked 16GB (Marble White)
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Unlocked 16GB (Marble White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky predictive text, 12 Nov. 2013
I got my phone not from Amazon but as an update with my contract. One of the reasons I opted for this model was because my previous phone was a Samsung so I thought I had a better chance of mastering it in a reasonably short time.
I am not good with technology, and am informed that I am a 'bear with a new phone' during the transition period!
Well, I managed to fathom it after a few days, but how I wished the nice young people in the shop could have come home with me to hold my hand!
1 am especially impressed with the predictive text....it is amazing how it can read my mind, even when I am wildly out and hit a wrong letter. Spooky, almost!
(The maps are good too. Last Sunday in the pub, I was demonstrating the maps to someone and we were delighted to be told that we were in the Church just across the way!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17