Profile for S. Pearson > Reviews

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing return to adult fiction, 5 July 2013
I was hugely disappointed by what was supposed to be Gaiman's triumphant return to adult literature. I'm an enormous fan, and was greatly looking forward to reading this, however the story, whilst charming, is simplistic, and neither the plot, themes nor characters seem fully developed. It has a superficiality that one expects from a young adult novel (it certainly reads like a book aimed at children) but lacks the complexity one expects from a book for adults. The novel presents themes (nostalgia, childhood, growing up, loss etc.) but never goes any further than merely flagging them to the reader; there is no great exploration, no great description, and as a result the work feels rather empty. The reader plods along with the narrator, but ultimately doesn't really learn anything and the experience is rather hollow. By the end of the novel, I was left wondering what the point was. The length of the novel also sets it at a disadvantage; at only 243 pages, and set in a large, well spaced font with enormous page margins I feel a little short changed (from a content, rather than price, perspective). Plot and character could have easily been developed more, which would have made reading the novel a little less frustrating. It is a very rich world that Gaiman has created, and yet that is never really imparted upon the reader; lack of detail meant I never felt fully immersed in his world, nor fully engaged as a reader.

I so desperately wanted to love this book. I have given it 3/5 as while to my mind it fails as a book for adults, it could make an excellent YA novel, and so a middling score seemed the most fair. For a better look at childhood/nostalgia I'd suggest picking up the fascinating and thoroughly charming Coming Up for Air (Penguin Modern Classics) by George Orwell. If it's magic and myth that you're after, or you want to read something by Gaiman, I'd opt for American Gods over this any day.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2013 1:26 PM BST

Gourmet Crochet: A Yummy Yarn Cookbook
Gourmet Crochet: A Yummy Yarn Cookbook
by Christen Haden

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cakes, the rest is so-so, 22 Nov. 2011
This book is a little on the simple side - the best pattern in the book by a long shot is the one on the cover. While many of the patterns are either beautiful, quirky or funny, I question how much from this book I will actually crochet. The cheese section, for example is something of a waste of ink. Having said that, I would argue that the cake section alone is worth the price of the book; absolutely beautiful, and easily adaptable. All the patterns in the book specify using crochet cotton and a very small hook. I have been using DK wool and a 3mm hook and have been getting excellent results. It is also worth noting that the book is paperback, not hardback as in the product description.

The Hairy Bikers' Perfect Pies: The Ultimate Pie Bible from the Kings of Pies
The Hairy Bikers' Perfect Pies: The Ultimate Pie Bible from the Kings of Pies
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pies indeed, 22 Nov. 2011
I have never bought a Hairy Bikers cookbook before, and as I find their television presence most annoying (Dude?! At their age?!) I was more than hesitant when it came to purchasing this book. At under a tenner, I thought it was probably worth a punt, and I am so glad I made my purchase. The book is beautifully presented (I think I'm correct in saying that every recipe is accompanied by an opposing full page photograph), and the recipes are easy to follow and surprisingly diverse. The book does not limit itself to just the standard pie, but gives recipes for various sweet options, flans, tarts, quiches, various types of pastry, large pies and finger foods, suet puddings, side dishes, things to do with your left over scraps of pastry, a satisfying amount of vegetarian options... I could go on, but short of listing every recipe in the book, I couldn't convey its amazing breadth. I have attempted both the 'Deep-filled Chicken and Mushroom Pie' on page 15, and the 'Pear, Walnut and Dolcelatte Tarts' on page 131, and while I consider myself a reasonably confident cook, I was surprised with just how professional and delicious the results were. Finally, I would happily cook and eat each and every recipe in this book; a remarkable statement, and one that I can't make for any other cookbook on my shelf.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 5:17 PM GMT

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
by Washington Irving

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, as usual, 25 Nov. 2009
As a fan of Gris Grimly's work, I am perhaps a little biased. This book is up to the usual standard, stunningly illustrated and well written. Perhaps not suitable for easily scared children, or those who are very young, although any child with a sensible head on their shoulders, and a taste for the macabre will love it - I know I would have treasured it, had it been published 15 years ago! The book is equally suitable for adults who enjoy horror, dark humour, and all that's ghoulish, Poe fans especially.

Coraline [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Coraline [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Dakota Fanning
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Near perfection, 25 Nov. 2009
This film is simply beautiful. I purchased it on Blu-Ray, with both 3D and 2D versions. I was, of course, drawn to the 3D version first, and although it takes a while for eyes to become accustomed to the glasses it's worth persevering with. The effects are astounding, although be warned that much of the films colour is lost, as your eyes effectively have a red and green filter on them. A second watch, without the distractions of the amazing 3D revealed the film to be engaging, comical, beautifully written and expertly voiced and animated, not to mention visually stunning. The film is admittedly a little scary in places, but I would argue that it is entirely justified within the context of the film- a little scare never hurt anyone, and the film is no more scary than, for example, Disney's Snow White. Other reviewers have criticised Coraline as being a rude and disrespectful protagonist, something I feel is unjustified. Coraline is bad-mannered because she has recently moved to a new house, and is feels neglected by her parents, which is entirely understandable. Corlaine's character develops throughout the film as she fights to save her world, showing tenacity and love for her family, which can only be a positive message for children.

In conclusion, Coraline is a wonderful film, with a deep plot, addressing some rather complex themes, and filled with the subtle, dark humour present in much of Neil Gaiman's work. It is visually resplendent with the carefully crafted stop-motion animation. If you, or your children, love Labyrinth or Alice in Wonderland then this is a must- several comparisons can be drawn between the films. With regard to it being 'too scary' I would argue that the resolution of the film balances this, and after all, a little scare never hurt anyone.

The Gashlycrumb Tinies
The Gashlycrumb Tinies
by Edward Gorey

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Gorey, 1 April 2008
This review is from: The Gashlycrumb Tinies (Hardcover)
This is my favourite of all the Gorey I've read, and was also the first I purchased. It is, esentially, an A-Z of children dying, so it may not be to everyone's taste, however, the style and wit with which it is executed is unbeatable. Highly reccomended.