Profile for D. Taggart > Reviews

Content by D. Taggart

D. Taggart "danita" (Rome, Italy)

Hadrian: Empire and Conflict
Hadrian: Empire and Conflict
by Thorsten Opper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great price, 29 Sept. 2008
I attended this exhibition at the British Museum and it was FABULOUS! Very well done, and the book that goes along with the exhibition is quite informative. I really enjoyed both the exhibition and the book. Unfortunately, I purchased the book at the Museum and paid GBP 40 for it! I wish I had realized that it could be purchased on Amazon for a much lower price. Buy it!

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, wonderful book w/unique perspective, 15 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I picked this book up in an airport on a whim. I liked the cover. It took a couple of months to open it up, but once I did, I could NOT put it down. I (foolishly) took it with me on vacation. I did NOT see the sights, because I stayed in my room all day and all night until I finished the book, sometimes laughing, sometimes crying hysterically.

This book is haunting, beautiful, and moving-but not in a sappy way. My family is Jewish, and suffered loss due to the Holocaust. But lots of people have similar stories, and have told them. They are all important, and moving, but this is completely unique, because it's not primarily about the Jews (though they are in the book).

I have to admit, I have never once thought about what it was like for regular, working class citizens to live in Nazi Germany. Or what it was like for their children. There were other innocent victims of the Nazi regime than the ones who died in the camps. Zusak vividly brings to life these special, imperfect and at the same time PERFECT characters and makes you experience their lives as if they were your own. I felt what they felt, saw what they saw, lost what they lost. And, I finished this book crying like a baby. I cried for at least half an hour. And it was wonderful.

A boy with hair the color of lemons broke my heart the night I finished reading this book. (You will understand what that means when you read it.) But I am glad he did. I would never have known him, otherwise.

READ THIS BOOK!!!!!