Profile for Spook. > Reviews

Content by Spook.

Spook.

Heresy
Heresy

3.0 out of 5 stars As a fan of s j parris I was disappointed to find, 5 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Heresy (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of s j parris I was disappointed to find, contrary to previous experience, that it simply did not hold my attention. I gave up after a while with the intention of returning at a later date-but not yet.

Amazon Music [Android]
Amazon Music [Android]

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quiet., 5 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Amazon Music [Android] (App)
Labelling of music is not consistent, I frequently lose cd's because the conductor is labelled instead of the music. Once I discovered this I was eventually, to find a way of re-labelling the entries but this is a nuisance. In addition the navigation is not clear and controls vague, it is very easy (for me), to make errors such as being unable to cancel the random selection option

Kindle Paperwhite (6th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed that the navigation is not more reliable, 17 Dec. 2014
I bought this e book because the paperwhite and built_in light and higher resolution are expected to ease the strain of reading on eyes that are no longer young, and so they do. I am disappointed that the navigation is not more reliable. I find it difficult on occasion, to turn the page, more often it turns two pages which is not always realised immediately. Having said that I do find it much less of a strain on my eyes than the earlier model.😂

Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War
Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War

5.0 out of 5 stars it's ease of presentation and for the very professional research which makes it such a very fine book., 4 Aug. 2014
I have had a copy of Robert K Massie's book for many years, I value it for it's scholarship, it's ease of presentation and for the very professional research which makes it such a very fine book.

ANZACS (1985) (import)
ANZACS (1985) (import)
Dvd ~ Andrew Clarke
Offered by MMRSALES

2.0 out of 5 stars Dfeated & Disapointed, 28 April 2013
This review is from: ANZACS (1985) (import) (DVD)
I first saw this mini series years ago and enjoyed it very much so I looked forward to receiving the DVD set. The set duly arrived and I immediately unpacked it, selected disc one and popped it into the DVD player. The first thing to notice was that there were subtitles in Dutch in large white letters far too bright and big to ignore. I set about switching off these subtitles but 20 minutes later I had to concede defeat, I simply could not find a way although there was a button marked on/off it would not work for me. Perhaps I should have called the helpline or asked for a replacement but at the age of 82 my patience is quickly exhausted. If I could get a set that worked I would be delighted to buy it.

Verdi
Verdi
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Villazon the Magnificent, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Verdi (Audio CD)
Villazon has a wonderful talent his voice is fluent, powerful, romantic and passionate and I have never heard a truer voice. If I have a very small criticism it is that he occasionally revels in the extraordinary power of which he is capable. The fact that he is young, good looking and extremely eloquent all contribute to a talented and engaging personality. May he live long, prosper and bring delight to all who hear his magnificent voice.

Lost For Words [DVD] [1999]
Lost For Words [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Pete Postlethwaite
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film to Treasure by Rigormortis, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Lost For Words [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This is a deeply moving film about a wonderful relationship between mother and son overshadowed by the effects of old age. Whoever cast Thora Hird & Pete Postlethwaite in the principal parts deserve an Oscar for an inspired choice. At times hilarious always moving it is a beautiful story beautiflly played by two masters of their craft tragically no longer with us.

Samsung SM2053BW 20-inch LCD TFT Monitor, 5ms, DVI, 8000:1
Samsung SM2053BW 20-inch LCD TFT Monitor, 5ms, DVI, 8000:1

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 25 Mar. 2009
I bought this monitor to replace a CRT of some vintage. The picture is terrific, very clear and the colour is wonderful, very easy to set up and operate. My only reservations are that being somewhat aged my eyesight is not up to seeing the control labels very clearly which can be a little disconcerting nor have I yet discovered the secret if operating the "Tilt" feature. In spite of this I have been impressed with Samsung to the extent of buying other Samsung product with which I am equally pleased.

The House of Cards Trilogy [1990] [DVD]
The House of Cards Trilogy [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Richardson
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Political Fantasy, 25 Mar. 2009
If the intention was to provide dramatic impact in this trilogy it certainly succeeded, murder, explicit sex the venality, ambition and dishonesty of political life all combined to produce a very watchable if rather contrived storyline. What rescued the series for me was the superb acting of the late Ian Richardson supported by a truly talented supporting cast. Richardson's portrayal of Francis Urquart as a politician driven by a lust for political power and his cool unemotional pursuit of that power was truly enthralling television.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 2:39 PM GMT