Profile for A. Campbell > Reviews

Content by A. Campbell

A. Campbell (Northern Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dance: Cinderella Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale series Book 2)
Dance: Cinderella Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cinderella? More like Mulan, 31 May 2017
Definitely more like Mulan than Cinderella, or like both stories rolled into one with some minor changes. A good read though, I would recommend.

Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother Historical Romance Series Book 5)
Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother Historical Romance Series Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 25 May 2017
This is the second book in this series that I have read. I felt this book was not quite as good as Unmasking Miss Appleby but still enjoyable. I don't normally read books that have magic in them but decided to give these a go and they are a nice change of pace from traditional regency novels.
These books can be read as a standalone - other characters are referenced but you don't need to have read the books as it is explained who they are.
Mordecai is a lovable character, he is domineering but for her he tries to compromise, and let's face it we all want that in a man!

I voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving an advanced readers copy.

Hold Your Breath: Books 1-3: Rogues, Rakes and Dukes (The Hold Your Breath Series Boxset)

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 excellent books, 27 April 2017
Definitely worth reading. I felt these books were well written with lovable, strong characters throughout the series. These heroines aren't going down without a fight! I thought the final book was the best as it was just that bit more unique in its story line, but all 3 were enjoyable. In these Regency romances the characters are seen in the glittering ballrooms that we all know and love, but also experience meaningful adventures in the world beyond the ton.

My Lady Thief
My Lady Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing. Not your typical regency romance, 20 April 2017
This review is from: My Lady Thief (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, it has a different twist than your typical regency romance. Contains good repartee between the main characters and is well worth a read.
When I'm reviewing anything and giving less than 5 stars I always like to give an explanation as to why it didn't earn that 5th star. For me when it comes to books I'm just rather strict and only give 5 stars to books that truly and completely captured me - I think the amount of books that have received this from me are probably still in single figures! 5 star books mean I would be willing to read it again and this is something I rarely have the desire to do. So while this book didn't quite earn that 5th star this does not reflect that I did not find it enjoyable to read.
I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.

Something in the Heir (It's Reigning Men Book 1)
Something in the Heir (It's Reigning Men Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A heroine who babbles when she gets nervous - something I can relate to!, 30 Mar. 2017
A heroine who babbles when she gets nervous - something I can relate to! Some good banter between the 2 main characters, including some terrible yet funny puns (aren't all puns like that?) when the heroine's mouth runs away on her. Hardly a best seller but nonetheless an enjoyable light read with interesting dialog that will make you laugh.

The Reluctant Duke (A Seabrook Family Saga Book 1)
The Reluctant Duke (A Seabrook Family Saga Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but..., 3 Feb. 2017
An enjoyable enough book but I had some issues with the historical accuracy and the grammar. I don't generally raise too much fuss if the book isn't historically accurate because at the end of the day it is fictional so I can overlook these discrepancies easily enough. There were footnotes which should have been taken out before publishing the book.

Generally the writing was okay but I had the horror of reading this sentence: "With that he was off, slowly bringing his horse up to a cantor followed by a trot and then a full gallop." Straight off cantor and canter have two completely different meanings. But what seriously got on my nerves is the author believing that trotting is faster than cantering! That is something very basic that most readers would pick up on even if they've never ridden a day in their life. Either do your (very basic) research or just don't mention the gaits at all if you don't know anything about horses! Perhaps I'm blowing this out of proportion, I'm not expecting the author to be an expert in the fine details of horses (I'm no where near an expert and do not claim to be) but as a rider it does annoy me that something so basic as the order of gaits could be wrong.

Also "Miss Austin"... please please please tell me that this author does know that it is Jane AUSTEN not Austin and this was just some form of autocorrect otherwise I am truly horrified that a historical romance author does not know the correct name of one of the most famous authors to ever have written a book!

Fundamentally these are some examples that display the carelessness of the author.

But at the end of the day the book was free so I try not to be too picky.

The Stranger She Married: Regency Historical Romance (Rogue Hearts Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Dec. 2016
Best book I've read in a while, I normally don't even write reviews but this book made me want to. I had theories as to the 2 main mysteries threded throughout the book but often questioned if my guesses were far off track as events unfolded. In the end my theories proved true but still very few books have made me question my usually confident predictions as to where the story would lead (in this genre I have found few authors take the trouble to try to create a real mystery) so it was a nice change of pace. I will be reading more by this author in the future.

A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty Book #1)
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty Book #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant feel-good series!, 1 Sept. 2016
A little predictable but it's not meant to be a mystery novel. A feel good book that will leave you with a smile on your face

Skullcandy 50/50 2.0 In-Ear Headphones with Mic - White/Chrome
Skullcandy 50/50 2.0 In-Ear Headphones with Mic - White/Chrome
Offered by Branded and New Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 28 Jan. 2014
I bought these after hearing how good skull candy earphones are supposed to be. Very disappointed. The rubber ear buds are very thin and tear very easily. The sound is ok but nothing to shout about...unfortunately I paid for these while they were £20 not worth the money.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini i9190 Gel/TPU Case - White Cover with Red, Yellow, Green, Comic Book Pattern

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for nearly 3 months and still love this case!, 16 Jan. 2014
Great case. Its a snug fit with holes to allow easy access to volume and lock buttons. Very colourful and eye catching. I have had this for around 3 months now and unlike other cases I have had the pattern is still 100% intact - no peeling. It is a little duller now as I keep it in my jeans pocket and the denim dye rubs off but still looks good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6