Profile for Dr. J. Taplin > Reviews

Dr. J. Taplin (UK)

Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 May 2016
This review is from: Gatekeeper (MP3 Download)
Perfect song

Shallow Bed (Acoustic)
Shallow Bed (Acoustic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchless, 13 May 2013
Amazing, unusual, fresh, powerful, an album that hangs together well across its entirely - all brilliant but shot with additional bursts of exceptional genius. I waited a long time for the main album to come out, and it blew me away. Now you can get all of that AND the acoustic versions, which open up some of the songs in different ways, and further prove the musical quality of the band.

Whats not to like? Download it now - you won't regret it.

Broken Branches E.P
Broken Branches E.P

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more . . . ., 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Broken Branches E.P (MP3 Download)
We saw Delta Maid at The Big Chill this year & she kicked-off the festival perfectly. Lovely voice, great lyrics & wonderful melodies soaring above the occasional light drizzle such that you didn't really notice that it was anything other than a beautiful day.

My one disappointment with this EP is that there isn't more of it - I'm looking forward to a few full albums.

Kodak Playsport Zx3 Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera - Wave Crash -Blue
Kodak Playsport Zx3 Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera - Wave Crash -Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - does precisely what I need, 14 Jun. 2010
Clearly, at this price, its not going to be providing the best possible quality film, but then I'm not sure that I would really recognise & sufficiently appreciate the marginal differences between this camera's output, and that of a camera £100+ more expensive. What I can say is that the focus is sharp, the screen is clear, it handles rapid movement well (especially at the greater fps setting) and gave great quality (& atmosphere) to a video shot zooming through the busy streets of Mumbai. It starts up amazingly quickly, and (unlike my small point & shoot) takes pictures instantly without any of the delay that means you've missed the shot by the time it takes.

No flash means low light shots are a bit dark, but pleasingly atmospheric. Its light, robust, very portable, chargeable from a laptop, so need to lug anything else than a cable around with you (erm, so long as you also have access to a usb port of course). I bought it primarily to capture the quirks of sound / movement of my two small daughters - something that you can't get from a stills camera (unless you are an exceptionally skilled photographer), and for that it is unbeatable - certainly at this price & with this degree of functionality / protection (against same daughters).

My thinking is that video is going to have moved on so far that by the time we're re-watching this footage in the future, that almost anything it was shot on today is likely to look somewhat dated (in a good way - think the wonder years opening credits), so why bother with a far more expensive, and far less durable option that will ultimately be giving you effectively the same result as the Playsport? And until then, the quality of both output & the device itself is more than sufficient for what I need, and superior in many ways to its competitors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2010 12:43 PM BST

Oral-B Professional Care 8500 Electric Toothbrush
Oral-B Professional Care 8500 Electric Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clean, 11 Jan. 2010
Excellent toothbrush, and an amazing clean.

My one very slight surprise with it has been battery life (although, to be fair, it has lasted 4+ days with two of us using it twice a day), but this may be due to me not charging it fully to begin with. Clearly not a problem if you have a working shaver / charging socket in your bathroom either (ours is broken).

All in all, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Blueberry Girl
Blueberry Girl
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Blueberry Girl (Hardcover)
Its beautiful, and made my wife cry. She's not a huge Gaiman fan (although she tolerates my gentle obsession) but was struck by his insight. Charles Vess' fantastical and magical pictures are the perfect counterpoint.