Profile for Theredroomreader > Reviews

The Girl Who Couldn't Read
The Girl Who Couldn't Read
by John Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly fabulous read, 8 Dec. 2014
Gothic, gripping, simply brilliant! This sequel to Florence & Giles is a total delight and I found myself plunged into the world of this novel from page one. Yes, the book certainly can - and does - stand alone, but the Girl Who Couldn't Read meant so much more to me for having read the prequel. Plus, if you read F & G first then you will know that you have a real treat in store and something to look forward to with the sequel. I cannot praise this novel enough. Having finished it last night I am now bereft and cannot yet bring myself to begin a new book. FANTASTIC! I envy those who have yet to read it.

The Courtesan's Lover
The Courtesan's Lover
by Gabrielle Kimm

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful novel from Gabrielle Kimm, 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Courtesan's Lover (Paperback)
'The Courtesan's Lover' is another wonderful novel from Gabrielle Kimm. I read, and loved her debut novel; 'His Last Duchess' and had been eagerly awaiting her next book. The wait has been well worthwhile and I have not been disappointed.
'The Courtesan's Lover' takes the reader back into the rich world of 16thc Italy.

The book is beautifully and descriptively written. As in her debut novel, Ms Kimm brings the characters in this book vividly and sensitively to life, and I found myself instantly engaged by them.

Enchanting, sumptous, touching, tragic, and uplifting. - I loved this novel and found myself completely caught up in Francesca's turbulent life. I shared her joy and her pain. A fabulous read.

Florence and Giles
Florence and Giles
by John Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars A gothic treat, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Florence and Giles (Paperback)
Florence and Giles is a marvellous book. Set in the late 19thc, it is tense, atmospheric, chilling. This book is a rare gothic treat. I read it slowly, lingered over it, not wanting to finish it, and hence have to leave the totally convincing world that John Harding creates so brilliantly. I was captivated by the young narrator, Florence, and by her own ingenious and unique language. I cannot recommend this novel highly enough. I loved it as much as Henry James' 'The Turn of the Screw'. Dare I admit that I enjoyed it even more? Read it on a dark winter's eve by a roaring fire, and be transported to another world.

His Last Duchess
His Last Duchess
by Gabrielle Kimm

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and Poetic, 31 July 2010
This review is from: His Last Duchess (Paperback)
Gabrielle Kimm is to be congratulated on 'His Last Duchess', her debut novel. Ms Kimm's inspiration for the novel - Robert Browning's poem - attracted my interest immediately, and I was absolutely drawn into the story from reading the prologue alone. 'His Last Duchess' is beautifully and poetically crafted. Sixteenth century Italy is vividly brought to life through the author's meticulous research of the period. Wonderful characterisation and a gripping storyline. This enchanting historical novel is a real treat and I look forward to her next book.