Profile for Where in Sussex > Reviews

Content by Where in Sussex

Where in Sussex "newhaven_steve"

New Trent (2PCS) Combo-Pack: Dual High-Speed USB Port Car Chargers w/ Free Full Speed Micro-USB Charging Cable - 1pc 15W black and 1pc 15W white (NT89T)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, solid car charger, 28 Feb. 2013
Having worked my way through several car chargers in the last few years, I've always found the rate at which they charge my smartphone has been slow at best. One I used struggled to even maintain the battery at the level it was before I started the journey. The NT80C is the first car charger that I have found which seems specifically designed for this new generation of phones/tablets, which have large screens and which naturally require more powerful chargers. The charger has two outputs and is rated at 2.1A, which is twice the rating of a lot of home chargers and four to eight times more than a lot of other car chargers, which tend to be 250-500mA.

Having deliberately not charged my phone all day, I decided to take the NT80C for a test on the way home. My phone (HTC One X) was at 20% when I started the journey and when I got home an hour later it was at 85%. This is actually a faster charge rate than I get from my HTC home charger.

The design is a good solid design. If like me, your car's socket is a bit tight (this is a car design flaw, rather than product) there is no concern of breaking the charger, as it is well built. There are two outputs which are a full size USB, meaning you and your passenger can both charge your phones and it comes with one lead, so you can get up and running straight away.
The only issue I had with this was the lack of instructions with it. I could not determine if the charger charges 2 x 2.1A or 1 x 2.1A... so if you plug two devices in, is it 1.05A each and then if you unplug one do you get 2.1A? I suspected this was how it worked and this was confirmed (total = 2.1A) on the Amazon website, but only because I went looking, I feel this should be available on the packaging.

A good product overall and one which I shall be using regularly.

New Trent iDual 5000mAh 1A/0.5A Dual USB Ports External Battery Pack for the new iPad, iPad2, iPhone 5 4S 4 3Gs 3G, , iPod Touch all versions; Samsung Galaxy Note/Nexus/S3/S2/S; HTC Titan, Sensation, ONE S/V/X, EVO Thunderbolt, Desire; LG Optimus series; Blackberry Bold, Curve, Torch; Motorola Razr HD/MAXX & Bionic, Atrix/2; Nokia Lumia 700/800/900 and GoPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Small yet powerful - Ideal for a daytrip or night away, 21 Aug. 2012
Length:: 4:31 Mins

I chose the IMP50D as a device to take on days away and the odd night away, where charging my phone would be a problem. It didn't let me down and I created this video to demonstrate some of its features.

400ml Stove & BBQ Paint Black
400ml Stove & BBQ Paint Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On the Tin, 21 Aug. 2012
I thought we were probably going to have to get rid of our BBQ, as a few years outside had left it looking a bit sorry for itself. I thought it was worth trying to see if I could find a product which would spruce it up a bit and, a quick whiz with the steel wool and a spray with this later and it was looking (almost!) as good as new. Certainly will see us though another couple of British summers, which is all you can ask for really!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Way To Bond and Take Comfort, 21 Aug. 2012
I must admit I was sceptical about ordering this product for my partner - we are expecting our first baby and she is very nervous about everything and worries a lot about the baby.

The reason I was sceptical was that not knowing if the baby has a heartbeat is one thing, but trying to hear it and not getting anything, for whatever reason, will cause her (and me) to become more stressed than we were before - potentially risking the pregnancy over nothing.

My mind was soon at ease when the product arrived and, within a couple of minutes, we could hear the unmistakable 150bpm of the baby's heart. Believe me, you know it's not the mother's heart or her dinner being digested, there is no doubt at all!

Every time we have used this product we have found the heartbeat within 60 seconds, usually 15-20 seconds. She is now 15 weeks pregnant, and I'd probably say that we got this around the right time, as the baby is definitely moving upwards now and every day it becomes easier. We also know that baby is wriggling about, as the heartbeat moves/becomes louder/softer without moving the probe.

Watch a few videos on Youtube about how to find the heartbeat and then use this product, you won't be disappointed. As I said, I was sceptical, but now I am happy that we got the product as it really helps the mother relax and is really easy to use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 9:56 PM BST

Dominick the Donkey
Dominick the Donkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard on Chris Moyles, the Italian mother-in-law loves it!, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Dominick the Donkey (MP3 Download)
Having heard this on the Chris Moyles show, we decided to buy it as a "stocking filler" for my mother-in-law at Christmas 2011, as she is Italian. She was over the moon with it, and still listens to it now, even though it is not Christmas!

New Trent: Easypak NT70T - (7000mAh) 5V 2A-1A Triple USB Ports External Battery Charger/ Portable Back Up Power Bank/Power Pack Battery for iPad 4/ 3 /2, iPad mini, iPhone 5 /4S / 4, iPod Touch; Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S4/S3/S2; Google Nexus 10/7/4, HTC ONE series; LG Optimus series; Motorola Razr, Droid series; Nokia Lumia 900 / 800, Sony Xperia series, GoPro, and most 5V chargeable devices (Upgraded Version of iCurve)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of kit, but sketchy instructions, 30 July 2012
This is a nice, well built piece of equipment. Unlike it's bigger brother, the 11000mAh version, the IMP70D is thin, and therefore sits easier in the pocket of your "combat" style trousers, if you're out on a hike, or maybe in the pocket of your bag or suitcase, if you're going away for a few days.

I am using this with my HTC One X - a quad core processor phone with a huge screen, so, if you've got the screen on quite a bit, battery life is naturally limited. With the IMP70D, this isn't a problem.

I had the chance to test the device at the Olympic Road Race event, at Box Hill in England this weekend. I wanted to keep abreast of the action, and also time the laps as they came round nine times over three hours. I also had used the GPS to navigate to my parking location, so, before I even started, the battery was down to around 60%.

No fear, I slipped the IMP70D in my pocket and stood with my phone in my hand, timing the laps, Tweeting and taking videos and photos, and left after being in location for around six hours, with three hours of racing, with my battery at 100%, and still with life left in the IMP70D.

The battery indicator is good, it shows a) how charged it is when charging and b) how discharged it is when discharging - so you are unlikely to leave home with it empty because you forgot to charge it.

The 2.5A socket is great for charging/powering the larger device.

Now onto the moans! These are nothing to do with the product, which is well built and a nice piece of equipment, but are to do with the documentation and lack of mains charger.

I guess the lack of mains charger (you use your phone charger or other USB charger to charge the device) isn't a problem for most users, but, if you don't have one, you'll need either a micro-usb phone charger (cheap off eBay!) or a charger that has a normal USB socket on it, like you get with many phones, that you can plug the supplied lead into.

The packaging claims "3.1A Quick Charge" - I guess this is by using a "double usb to micro-usb" lead, like some external hard disks use, but there is no information in the documentation on how to achieve this. The lead to do so isn't supplied either.

One other thing is that you need to make sure you have connected to the 2.1A socket if you want to charge you tablet or juicy phone more quickly, as the two sockets have separate current ratings!

All in all a very good product, let down by having no charger and slightly poor documentation. Would have been 5* if it was based purely on the product.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A good quality stylus, where do you get refills for the pen?, 2 July 2012
I found this product to be of far greater quality than previous stylus products that I have used, the look, feel, construction and balance made it very comfortable to use. The sprung tip of the stylus made it very easy to use, and there were no problems with the product failing to register when used on the screen, and it does not suffer from the annoying "clicking" noise that you get with hard tipped products.

One thing I did notice in regards to the tip itself was that being fairly fat, it wasn't always easy to see exactly where it was going to land, although with a bit of practice this became quite easy, and the average smartphone/tablet user isn't going to be creating highly detailed drawings on their device, so this isn't going to be a problem.

The idea of having a working pen at one end seems a good idea in practice, although the clip made this a little tricky at times, and you would probably not want to use it for more than the odd note. I also noticed that the pen refill seems to be quite small, so I can't imagine the pen will last a long time, and there was no information supplied with the product about where replacement refills could be purchased. Also, in my partner's hands, the stylus fell into two pieces when she twisted it to release the nib the first time, but this wasn't a major issue and they just pressed back together.

Overall the product was good and easy to use as a stylus, but I wouldn't use the pen part for anything other than the odd note. The clip looks good, but the girth of the stylus makes it too fat to clip onto the case of my phone. I expect larger cases (iPad etc) would have less issue with this, but it is still quite large. The product is well built, there were no stray "bits" coming from the mesh of the stylus nib and it has not picked up any bits of fluff.

Bradshaw's Handbook
Bradshaw's Handbook
by George Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value for money book, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Bradshaw's Handbook (Hardcover)
Having enjoyed the last three series of Great British Railway Journeys on the BBC, I had been looking for a copy of a Bradshaws on and off for the last two years.

Whilst watching the series at the start of 2012, I did a search and found that two versions of the book were available as reprints. This one, the cheaper by a long way, was a "hardback facsimile" - basically a scanned copy of the original. It includes four books, as the original that Michael Portillo carries in the TV series did, and is perfect for looking up places local to you, or places you have been to, to see what Bradshaw would have said about them.

The book itself is excellent value for money - the quality of the product far exceeds the price you are paying. A proper hardback, the cover is a facsimile of the original, including "wear and tear" and, until you are actually holding it, you'd be hard pushed to tell it wasn't an antique book on the shelf.

The publishers are honest about the fact some maps are not included, due to reproduction issues with the quality of the originals, but this didn't detract from the enjoyment I gained from this book.

The only problem I had was that, every time I read a passage from the book, I could hear Michael Portillo reading it out in my head!

You probably won't want to read this book cover to cover, but if you enjoyed the series, buy this version of the book to sit on your bookself and provide many "dipping" opportunities.

New Trent iCarrier IMP120D - (12000mAh) 5V 3A Dual USB Ports External Battery Charger/ Portable Back Up Power Bank/Power Pack Battery for iPad 4/ 3 /2, iPad mini, iPhone 5 /4S / 4, iPod Touch; Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S4/S3/S2; Google Nexus 10/7/4, HTC ONE series; LG Optimus series; Motorola Razr, Droid series; Nokia Lumia 900 / 800, Sony Xperia series, GoPro, and most 5V chargeable devices. (NEWEST VERSION, w/ Micro-USB input charge port)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, portable supply for multiple phone charges on the move, 24 May 2012
When I ordered my new phone (HTC One X), I was disappointed to find that it suffered from what I had previously called the "iPhone Fault" - namely that it did not have a consumer removable back, and therefore I could no longer carry a spare battery in my wallet for those long days out, be it sitting on a train with no power socket or just out and about using power draining apps in bright sunshine.

This problem led me to look for external battery packs which can be used to charge a phone and, after looking at several products and reading the reviews, I chose the iCruiser IMP1000.

First impressions: I was impressed by the build quality and the "self coiling" flexible USB lead with interchangeable tips. I can just about hold this product in the palm of my hand, it's a nicely rounded chunky square, about the size of a drinks coaster and probably about 2cm thick. The styling is nice, it's shiny and it feels well built. It's probably heavier than you'd expect, but, given the amount of battery power inside, it's not surprising and certainly not a problem for the average user.

I charged the product up, the charging indication is very clear and is contained within the power switch button. A simple three level display which also shows when you press the power button to use the device: LOW-MED-HIGH. Stylish blue LEDs are employed for this and I found it very easy to understand. The power output is USB and the charger input is a standard DC power connector. One thing which would be handy would be the ability to charge the device up using a "standard" micro-USB socket, so you can just carry your phone charger with you to charge your phone when mains is available and also charge this product too. Once the device is charged up you just plug the USB lead into the socket and the other end into you phone/MP3 player/tablet, press the power button and leave it to charge.

Being of a scientific mind, I realised that, although it was rated at 11000mAh, this is the rating of the actual battery inside and not the amount of power you'll be able to deliver into the battery of your phone: I am not sure what the net figure is by the time you have taken voltage conversions and the efficiency of your phone's charging system into consideration, but I have yet to have a trip where I have drained the iCruiser, so for most people this product will be more than sufficient for a day or two away from the mains.

Having had this device for a few weeks, I've not had to use it every day, but when I have used it I have found it to be ideal for the person travelling away from home. If I had to change anything I would maybe make the product a bit "taller" and therefore a bit "thinner", so it is closer to the profile of a phone, as it can be a bit chunky in the pocket of your jeans. It would also be nice to have a right angled power plug with it, as it sticks out a bit. As it stands at the moment it would be hard to charge on the move, due to the risk of movement damaging the plug or socket, due to the leverage the plug could be exposed to.

Overall this is a great device and I'm looking forward to using it when I'm out and about in the sunshine this summer, on the bike, using GPS applications for hours on end, when the phone battery would normally die after about 4-5 hours.

Maximum Diner
Maximum Diner
by Christopher Nye

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm Burgers!, 15 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Maximum Diner (Paperback)
After spending an evening a week for about five years at The Maximum Diner, being the person that invented the slogan "Open Your Mouth and Shovel It In", attending the Mexican Night and being one of the people watching bits of Somerfield bobbing across the Boots crossroads in Uckfield in Oct 2000, I managed to gain about 5 stone in weight! Now living in Newhaven, I'm waiting for Chris to open Newhaven's first all night American Diner! This is an amazing book, with detail recalled in explicit detail, it's almost like a time machine, a book shaped time machine.... that's about burgers!