Profile for Sue > Reviews

Content by Sue

Sue (Birkenhead, United Kingdom)

CHRISTMAS TREE 64 BAUBLE DECORATIONS STORAGE BOX BRAND NEW
CHRISTMAS TREE 64 BAUBLE DECORATIONS STORAGE BOX BRAND NEW
Offered by Well Sweet UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use, 13 Jan. 2016
This is ok but will have to be re-constructed every time I use it as the dividers fall apart when moved. I will probably tape it together when I have the time. Also it only takes small baubles

Comfort and Joy
Comfort and Joy
by India Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Read At Christmas, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Comfort and Joy (Hardcover)
The biggest problem with this book is its title. It invites you to buy it at that special time of year when you're feeling all warm and fuzzy. You can imagine it wrapped in shiny paper and tied with a beaded bow, the perfect gift for a girl friend. But beware! It is not that it is badly written. India Knight writes in her usual easy-to-read journalistic style and it does draw you in. It begins with a woman laden with Christmas shopping in search of innocent luxury. We can immediately identify with her at this busy time of year and we read on, our senses slightly dulled by mulled wine. But stop now! This is not a nice sentimental story - it is cold and heartless - not at all the kind of thing you want to read while surrounded by your nearest and dearest. Of course this kind of thing goes on out there in the reality of modern Britain - I just don't want it at my fireside at Christmas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2011 10:12 AM GMT

Mrs Dalloway
Mrs Dalloway
by Virginia Woolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the small print, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Mrs Dalloway (Paperback)
Whoops!

I fell for the cover of this paperback when I ordered it as it accurately reproduces the first edition cover - and failed to notice that it is a German edition.

What an idiot.

Sister
Sister
by Rosamund Lupton

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This was a real page-turner. It is a dark, ugly and emotional tale it is true - perhaps not one to read if you need to feel cheerful - but it is well written and cleverly constructed. I was still guessing at the half way stage - and even much later I only gradually became aware of what was really happening. Where there was repetition (something which always bugs me) I could see a reason for it - as in the reminders of the mother's reassuring smell in childhood - and by the end I fully understood why it should have been so constantly on the heroine's mind. Some of the characters are less well developed - but there is so much going on that this is probably a blessing - we needed to focus on the search for the killer rather than be distracted by concerns for other people. I did rather wonder in retrospect how Beatrice had the energy to think up funny little names for some of her characters, Mrs Crush Secretary for example, given the circumstances - but as they helped to leaven the tale I was happy to overlook the inconsistency.

This is an excellent first novel and I look forward to the follow up.

Love Out Of Season
Love Out Of Season
by Ray Connolly

2.0 out of 5 stars Romance for men, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Love Out Of Season (Hardcover)
I bought this after reading an article by Mr Connelly claiming that men write romantic novels that are just as good, and often better than those written by women. He cited 'Madame Bovary', 'Doctor Zhivago' and 'Anna Karenina'. Fair enough, I thought - he has a point. So I read love 'Out of Season' - Big Mistake!

What is it with writers' obsessions with stories about writers? In this one we are asked to believe that the best selling author is pursued by the tabloid press - dream on Sir!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 7:47 AM GMT

The Earth Hums in B Flat
The Earth Hums in B Flat
by Mari Strachan

4.0 out of 5 stars A story that grows on you, 28 Sept. 2010
I was a little nervous when I began this having just read a scathing criticism of the current trend for present tense novels - but I need not have worried. In this case it worked beautifully as there was a genuine reason for the device - we gradually came to understand the complex world of this small village alongside our intelligent and likeable young guide. Just as as she was bemused by events to begin with, so were we - although there were times when I wanted to reach over her shoulder and point out the things she was missing. There were enough surprises in the conclusion to make the story interesting and the characters were realistic and well drawn. My only criticism was the repetition of some of the description, especially of the distemper - but then I could not get enough of the toby jugs which were great fun.

The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
by Philippa Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars Conned!, 18 Sept. 2010
I have always thought it rather rude to write a bad review of a novel that some poor author has struggled over for months, carefully crafting a story just for our entertainment - but in this case I'm going to make an exception. This was not just a bad novel - I could have coped with that - after all Ms Gregory has given me many hours of innocent pleasure. No - this was just lazy.

Having enjoyed 'The White Queen' I chose this one to take on holiday and settled down by the pool for a good long read. I had hoped for further insights into the shadowy figures behind the story of the Wars of the Roses. I had hoped that the story would be taken beyond 1485 - to the years when Margaret was the mother of the king. Instead we got the earlier novel regurgitated, from a slightly different angle. It even repeated many of the scenes. If I had to read about the witch's wind or the water goddess one more time I think I would have thrown the thing into the deep end. Catch that, Melusina! Even had I not already read the story of Elizabeth Woodville, I would have found the endless references to her beauty and her catching a husband by standing at a roadside, frustrating. The only insight into Margaret Beaufort we were given was that she was religious, had a rotten childhood and was a bit tedious. I think we got that after the first fifty pages - but we had to sit it out for another three hundred and thirty. Just as things were about to get interesting, when we might have discovered whether she ever did wield any influence over the court, the story ended. Presumably we will have to fork out for the third in the trilogy to find out what happened next. It might just be quicker, and no less insightful, to look it up in wikipaedia.

I don't doubt that Ms Gregory had done her research - but she made what little she discovered for 'The White Queen' go an awfully long way. And then she wrote a second novel using the same notes. I suppose she feels that we will happily buy anything she writes based on the success of her earlier work - and of course she is right. I feel conned.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 5:56 PM BST