Profile for avid reader > Reviews

Content by avid reader

avid reader (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Imitation Game
The Imitation Game
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and disrespectful, 13 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Imitation Game (Amazon Video)
As an admirer of Alan Turing I was looking forward to this but Cumberbatch played him as an unpleasant, point scoring, incredibly unlikeable individual. The events of the founding of Bletchley are grossly manipulated as is the timing, team work and process of cracking Enigma. Turing was a professional scientist not a freak who solved a problem at random. This excellent cast has produced an unexpectedly disrespectful and rude film

For Fitbit Charge 2 strap, AdePoy Classic Replacement Sport Strap Band for Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Wristband
Offered by bolang LTD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Persist!, 13 Sept. 2017
At first I thought this kept pinging off, then I realised I had not fastened the clips fully. You really have to push until it clicks - much harder than you think.

Vintage Style Coat Stand With 8 Hooks In Black
Vintage Style Coat Stand With 8 Hooks In Black
Offered by Direct online Houseware

3.0 out of 5 stars Set aside an hour or so to put it together, 13 Sept. 2017
Oh my - this took forever to put together. At first I thought the bits did not line up but I got there in the end by screwing the whole thing together very very loosely and then tightening all at once.

The Word Is Murder
The Word Is Murder

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent different mystery from a great writer., 13 Sept. 2017
For me this really followed on from The Magpie Murders in that it is a slightly experimental meta detective story. The premise, woman walks into an undertakers and then gets murdered is interesting and the story moves along a pace with good twists and turns, always though with the wry voice of the narrator effectively from the future giving us sidelights on it all. The real life details woven in are fun and the truth is played with amusingly throughout. I very much enjoyed the whole thing and would read more, although I do wonder if the promise of 8 or 9 to follow reported in the press is real or based on what Hawthorne suggests within the book!

About Time Board Game : Friends and Family Edition
About Time Board Game : Friends and Family Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting game and great customer service, 29 Dec. 2015
This looks lovely, and the quality is high. The game play is good with duels, highwayman and plague events all adding to the fun. Although be aware many dates are quite modern so there is a big general knowledge as well as historical element which I was not expecting. We had an issue with our game and contacted the manufacturers, they responded almost immediately and were extremely helpful.

Genuine Italian Leather Rucksack Backpack Messenger Bag From Daniela Moda 37cmx31cmx13cm (Green & Black)
Offered by Giglio UK - Bags Of Italy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Oct. 2015
I love this! I really wanted a backpack handbag but didn't want to spend too much. I spent ages debating some of the far eastern "preppy" ones that come up when you do a backpack search but in the end was too worried by the false leather and the chance of it looking cheap. I then looked at the leather ones in my budget and thought this looked the best. Several great colours to choose from but as I have a new blue winter coat I went with the green. It arrived exactly when expected and it's fab! Great leather and lining and a real Kermit green I love. I also love the convertible handles which aren't clear from the photo. So it's set up as a backpack but if you pull the top handle the straps slide through and become one shoulder strap - perfect for work on moving onto high risk areas like the tube. Thrilled with this!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive - give them a go., 27 Oct. 2015
I had read the other reviews and so went for these with some trepidation but was persuaded by the Denman name. They came really quickly and I tried them out straight away. I have to say they are excellent. There are 8 each of 4 different sizes from a yellow for a tight curl to a pink for a big wave. I didn't find them difficult at all at my hair length - shoulder length bob but if you had really long hair and wanted to use all the same size you might need more than one pack. As it is I was able to do all of mine in one size. Remembering these things from the 80s I used a smaller size than I initially thought, i.e. I didn't want to look like a poodle but I still used the smaller sizes to allow for drop. Having got them all into my damp hair I then put a hair towel/turban over the top to hold them all tight and slept on them. Next morning great curls that lasted all day. I'll need more attempts to get it perfect but I have to say I'm impressed!

Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19
Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracker toy standard, 15 Mar. 2015
Cracker toy production values. Sometimes you read Amazon reviews and are none the wiser because they are mixed, that was the case with this - having read the reviews I was prepared for fake but this is poor!

Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women
Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for city types..., 9 Aug. 2013
I wasn't sure that this book was for me - I used to be a chartered accountant (Mrs Moneypenny rather idolises accountants) but left to go into teaching, surely I'm not Mrs M's type at all?

However I found lots here to inspire and encourage, I'm mid career and was pleased to find reference to some of the things I already do but also found plenty of hints and tips to try out. The ideas on owning your own choices and network building were some of the most helpful to me but there was plenty of meat in each of the "homework" sections (helpfully divided into early career, mid career and later). I am thoroughly enjoying working out how to apply the advice to my sector.

Also very valuable were Mrs Moneypenny's idiosyncratic ideas on child raising - excellent to really hear someone articulating life as it is for working mothers serious about their careers.

The best recommendation of all is probably that I have gone on to order two of Mrs M's recommended titles.

Rubbernecker
Rubbernecker
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Over far too soon, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Rubbernecker (Hardcover)
Rubbernecker is an amazing book - another new twist on the crime genre by Belinda Bauer. I loved it and read it in nearly one sitting. Patrick is a fantastic character (and if you've read her other books it's another insightful portrayal of a young man as was Steven's previously) who you warm to despite the fact he wouldn't care. The secondary cast are wonderfully varied and interesting and while all the main plots get tied up (I hate missing endings) that one end that is left hanging is gloriously teasing.

Page: 1 | 2