Profile for NumberSix > Reviews

Content by NumberSix

NumberSix "numbersix" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Packet of (2) 37mm (just under 1 1/2") double sided suction cups with 37mm sucker on both sides, sucker, suckers, plain, clear vinyl, PVC suction cup
Offered by Besocute

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 Aug. 2014
I like to take my Android tablet to the gym with me to watch videos while I exercise. The tablet doesn't stay on the sloped glossy surface of the crosstrainer's control panel. I bought these to stick the tablet to the machine. They do the job well.

100 Great Presentation Ideas (100 Great Ideas)
100 Great Presentation Ideas (100 Great Ideas)
by Patrick Forsyth

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 21 Aug. 2014
Generally I agree with the other reviewer. The book is OK, a bit repetitive (but then, the author does point out that repetition is a good way to get a point across memorably...). Most of the ideas given are quite straightforward- for example there are several which could basically be summarised as "be prepared"- make notes if you need to, check everything is working beforehand, rehearse your presentation to be sure of timekeeping, and so on. A couple of the ideas listed are basically adverts for the author himself or his mates. It's clear the target market for the book is salesmen (and I do mean men.. in one section about what to do with your hands, the author mentions not having both hands in your pocket but it's OK for men wearing a business suit to have one hand in a pocket. Doesn't mention what is appropriate for women though..) doing presentations to potential customers in order to secure the big deal. Overall a fairly standard book.

Device Housing Repair Opening Tool Kit - T4 T5 T6 Torx Screwdriver set, Faceplate Pry Tool 5pcs set
Offered by UK Battery

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for Lego motor maintenance, 15 Aug. 2014
I ordered these to use in dismantling a Lego Mindstorms NXT servo motor. The screwdrivers have a shaft long and thin enough to fit into the tiny screwholes on the Lego motor.

True, they aren't especially high quality and I don't expect them to last very long, but they did the job for the one task I wanted them for.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars No no no no no, 18 Dec. 2012
This review is about "The Complete Sherlock Holmes", the Kindle edition published in December 2012 with the foreword by Robert Ryan (I've included that because reviews of different editions tend to get muddled)

To begin with, I believe that there are few other works of fiction that deserve five stars more than the Sherlock Holmes canon. The stories are pretty much peerless, their longevity a testament to Conan Doyle's storytelling power.

So starting from that five-star premise, I have docked two stars from this collection for two reasons:

- inevitably the Kindle formatting loses the graphics. A few of the Holmes stories include illustrations that are key to the story. For example, in paper editions "The Adventure of the Dancing Men", the cryptanalysis classic, includes several pictures of the encoded messages that Holmes puzzles over. In the Kindle edition (on both my Kindle device and in the PC Kindle app), the pictures are replaced with the word "GRAPHIC". In "The Naval Treaty", Holmes is handed a hand-drawn map, which is illustrated in paper editions to give readers the chance to follow Holmes' deductions. In this Kindle edition, it is completely omitted.

- as others have pointed out, the text in this edition is not the original. Even the cheapest paper editions do Conan Doyle the credit of leaving his master work as he intended. Clearly that is not good enough for the editors of this edition, who have seen fit to mess around with the spellings and vocabulary. A cheque becomes a check, brandy becomes whiskey, and so on. Furthermore there are various errors, presumably as a result of scanning the text. For example, £10 reward becomes a L10 reward, May 23rd becomes May 23d. The text formatting is generally quite good, but italics are completely lost.

Holmes deserves better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 2:15 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality issues, 15 Aug. 2012
The photo has a convenient wipe clean surface. However, there is a noticeable deterioration in the coating after a few uses.

Presentation Skills for Technical Professionals (Soft Skills for It Professionals)
by Naomi Karten

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but with some annoyances, 14 Sept. 2011
I have a fair amount of experience at presenting (I was a technical trainer for several years) but I am always open to new ideas and picking up new skills, so I occasionally read books like this one, because there is usually some new thing that I can pick up from them.

This is a fairly well-structured book, divided into five main parts, each subdivided into several chapters. The five main parts are "Becoming a skilled presenter" (quite an ambitious title- if that one part could achieve what the title suggests, the rest of the book would be superfluous!), "Developing engaging content", "Preparing to present", "Presenting with confidence", and "Tips for selected contexts". Each chapter is also nicely structured within itself, with an introduction stating what is covered, and a recap at the end. The writing style is clear and uncluttered.

The ideas presented in each of the sections are largely pragmatic and pretty good advice for new presenters. For example early in the book there are two subsections listing attributes of the worst and best presentations with fairly straightforward advice such as (in the "best" list) making eye contact with the audience, asking the audience engaging questions, and at least appearing to enjoy giving the presentation (something that is frequently forgotten, including by me, on occasion).

All of this kind of thing is useful to new presenters and the book is full of practical stuff like that, and a few things that even experience presenters might not have considered- for example the book was published in 2010 and is clearly a product of its time, and the author suggests trying to keep key points in presentations to 140 characters, so that members of the audience can tweet them (or even 120 characters, so they can be retweeted).

But, I've docked a couple of stars for a couple of reasons.

First- the book itself is not particularly well presented. Throughout, there are illustrations (cartoons)- but they are so tiny, postage-stamp-sized, that it is impossible to see what they are. The book is otherwise entirely textual. In the section about "Using (without misusing) PowerPoint", the author rails against having too much text and making things too small; that is advice that applies equally well to books.

Second- throughout the book, there are references to documents and pages on the web. Some are to third-party websites, which is fair enough, but most of them are to author's own website. Although I recognise that the cross-pollination of books and websites is the way of things, it gave me the impression that I only had half a book in my hands, and that I'd have to go and hunt for the other half online later. For example, in chapter 8, "The powerful impact of stories", there's a bit that says, "For examples of other stories I use in my presentations, see [URL of PDF]. Notice how each story draws from everyday experience to make a point".

That would be fine if, say, I was reading this on, say, an ebook reader with wifi and I could just click on the link in the text to open the file, but I have the paper version, and if I am, say, reading it on a flight, by the time I get back online again I've completely forgotten about the link to the website (and even if I hadn't, as there is no overall summary list of all the documents referred to in the text, I would have to go hunting for the URL again). Why not just put the contents of the documents in the book, perhaps as an appendix? Of course, I recognise that the links are a way of including "bonus material", and they could have simply been omitted and I would have been none the wiser, but it gives the impression that the author is fishing for traffic on her website, on which she plugs her other books (and the site is nothing special, considering the home page advertises "career-enhancing communication skills"- clearly that does not extend to web design).

So overall TL;DR version: mostly pretty good advice, a bit basic but good for new presenters, a bit annoying in a couple of places.

Contractors' Handbook: The Expert Guide for UK Contractors and Freelancers
Contractors' Handbook: The Expert Guide for UK Contractors and Freelancers
by Dave Chaplin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, 9 Sept. 2011
As a "permie" looking to spend a bit of time contracting, this book pretty much matched exactly what I was looking for and it was well worth investing in the book, and investing the time required to read it properly. I found that for me, the best way to use it was to read the chapters in order, one at a time, and spend a couple of days reflecting on the contents of the chapter and doing my own research into the topic it covered, as a kind of dry run while I was still in my previous job.

For example after reading the chapter about finding contracts, I spent some time searching on various jobs websites and looking at the rates on offer for my own speciality; after the chapter about starting your own business, I looked into how to go about forming my own company and looked around for accountants and so on in my local area. Then, once I'd gone through it once at leisure, once I was ready to put my plan into action I read through it again as I was doing each of the steps for real.

The content is pretty much what I needed- there are sections about the various different options for starting up a company, and contract law. There's a suitably massive section about IR35 (which took me a couple of goes before I got through it). There are also sections about personal finance and working abroad, although these are a bit lighter in content and the section about working abroad in particular is more of a pointer towards doing more research rather than a comprehensive guide in itself.

So all in all it was extremely useful, and will probably continue to be useful as I start to get used to life as a contractor. I've docked it one star, mainly for reasons of style rather than content: although the table of contents is quite detailed, the book really needs an index; the book looks like a printout of a Word document rather than a properly designed book; each of the chapters could do with a summary of the points raised (a few more diagrams would help in a couple of places as well); sometimes the same point is made two or three times (although this can sometimes act as positive reinforcement); and there are a few proofreading errors.

Inevitably some of the information has dated since the book's publication. Regulations change- for example savings and pensions regulations have changed quite a bit. On a general level a contractor will still need to keep those rules in mind, but it does mean that the book has to be used in conjunction with other sources to get the latest information. I have the paper edition published in 2008- I noticed there is now a Kindle edition, but it isn't clear if the content has been updated for that edition.

All in all this is a useful book to have on a contractor's bookshelf.

One Minute More
One Minute More

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking rock song, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: One Minute More (MP3 Download)
Absolutely agree with the other reviewer- I also heard this on Planet Rock today and I was straight on here searching for the band. Fantastic straight-ahead rock song, big anthem chorus. File alongside The Cult, Airbourne etc. It looks like the band were right at the bottom of the bill at Download this year, next time I expect to see them a few places up.

My Word Coach (Nintendo DS)
My Word Coach (Nintendo DS)
Offered by EnterPlus

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning to UK users : American vocabulary!, 30 April 2008
For me this game is ruined by the use of the American spellings of words. For example:

'jewelry' rather than 'jewellery'
'program' rather than 'programme'
'traveling' rather than 'travelling'
...and so on.

Also the game includes several stereotypically American words such as 'condo'. This wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't explain that it is actually an abbreviation. One more example- I don't think I have ever heard a British person use the word 'peewee' (with the exception of it being part of the name of Peewee Herman).

The game has an option for selecting the user's country which includes the USA, Canada and the UK but this doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the spellings used.

Of course it would be easy to argue that American spellings are becoming the dominant form, and if you can agree with this then the game is reasonably enjoyable and some of the games are quite fun (but then some are a bit annoying), but as I am British I would not give this to a child growing up in the UK.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2010 10:13 AM BST

Corinne Bailey Rae
Corinne Bailey Rae
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, uplifting, soulful, joyful, 6 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Corinne Bailey Rae (Audio CD)
I'm in love. I can't think of any other way to describe it. It's another two months until this album is released, and I'm counting the days. I've heard four or five tracks from this album on various websites, and I'm giving it five stars based on those.
Like most people I guess, I first saw Corinne Bailey Rae on Jools Holland's TV programme, and I can't remember the last time I was so transfixed - I don't think I breathed at all until the end of the song, and I was left speechless and wide-eyed.
What a voice Corinne has! Expressive, fragile, powerful... I'm not really an expert on this kind of music, but elsewhere she has drawn comparisons with Lauren Hill and Billie Holliday, and she certainly fits into the same category, but has a talent all her own. There's real character to her voice, and despite her open singing style each listen reveals new nuances like flavours in wine.
This album is definitely going to make if feel like summer, no matter when it is played. Open the windows, the sun is out.
p.s. at the time of writing Amazon does not show the tracklisting for this album, but on other websites I have seen it shown as :
Like a Star - Enchantment - Put Your Records On - Til It Happens To You - Trouble Sleeping - Call Me When You Get This - Choux Pastry Heart - Breathless - I'd Like To - Butterfly - Seasons Change.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3