Profile for M. K. Ohr > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable Bike Light 150 Lumens
MetroFlash NightShocker USB Rechargeable Bike Light 150 Lumens

5.0 out of 5 stars Super bright, easy to fit, long battery life, 17 Dec. 2014
(I was supplied a free copy of this product for review purposes) This is a great front light - it's really bright and the battery seems to last for ages. I've delayed writing this review for two weeks as I waited for the battery to die to see what happened, and I'm still waiting for that.

I'd actually give this 4.5 stars, as there are a couple of improvements I would make - ideally I'd have more than one flash mode - I mostly commute so being seen is keen; there is no issue with the brightness, but I find that a random flash interval makes you slightly more visible to motorists - if metroflash could include this in future models (which would be easy since it is only a change to the software) then I would be even happier.

The bracket fits round the handle bar with an elasticated strap, it's really quick to fit and sits nicely, the light itself then clips into the bracket - easy to clip in and remove. The back of the light has a rubber cover over the power/mode button and the usb port. As I said, it has kept it's charge for two weeks of 2x20 minute journeys per day without any sign of faltering; in contrast to my Cree light with a huge external pack which only lasts for a single week of commuting.

In operation there are 4 modes, bright, medium, dim, flash. I can't really see much use for anything except the bright and the flash modes, but maybe you can. The flash mode is maximum brightness, and really is very impressive for such a modestly sized light. It nicely illuminates the reflective parts of road signs way into the distance in busy traffic- which is my rule of thumb for a front light. I'm confident that the light can be seen from at least a kilometer away.

I didn't pay for this light so it's difficult to comment on the value for money- I'd previously looked at lights in the £75-£85 bracket to do a similar job (small, light, bright, rechargeable, nice looking) but hesitated at spending that amount of money. If you can get this light for less than £50 then it will be one of the best purchases you make.

MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light
MetroFlash Danger Zone Tail Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, bright, easy to use, 19 Mar. 2013
(I received a complementary model of this from the suppliers to enable me to write this review)

This light is simple to use, easy to fit and most of all nice and bright. The package - and note to rival manufacturers: the packaging was a simple, but strong cardboard box which normal humans can open without resort to lethal weaponry- contained the light, a bracket and two decent AAA batteries. Fitting the batteries was easy, remove the red plastic lens with a coin etc, insert the batteries, push the lens back on. The rubber seal looks strong, the unit pushes back together with a satisfying click.

The rear of the light contains a clip which slides into standard bracket; if you've ever owned this size/style of light before then you probably have the bracket already. I used the clip to attach to my under saddle mini bag and chucked the supplied bracket into a collection of similar things. The clip onto my bag is fine for my purposes but without the bracket there is no means to adjust the angle so if you go my way you are reliant on the correct angle for the mounting area of your saddle bag.

In use there are only three modes, both lights on, both flashing, alternate flash. Any of the modes are suitable, but I always prefer the latter anyway. Each press of the easy to access rubber button selects a mode, a final press turns off. Either by good design or luck the mode I want is last on the list before turning off, so I always know that one press turns off. Other lights I own have loads of other flashing patterns, but really, what need is there, most riders use the simplest chase pattern anyway on their main light as this gives you most visibility and with LEDs gives best battery life.

In use the light is nice and bright, but it's not going to burn the eyes of motorists sat behind you; bright enough to be seen from hundreds of metres away in the dark and to give an extra bit of rear visibility in overcast/foggy daytime weather.

There's not really much more you need from a rear light, so there isn't a lot more to say. Does a good job, is easy to use and is well priced.

Trumpet Exam Pieces 2010 CD, ABRSM Grade 1: The complete syllabus starting 2010 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)

3.0 out of 5 stars just the CD -not the music, 8 Feb. 2011
My daughter was surprised when this arrived that it was solely a CD, particularly after buying what appeared to be the equivilent product for clarinet.

We thought maybe the sheet music was onboard somehow as PDFs or something else, but no; this is just an audio CD with the pieces played through and then accompanying tracks to play along to.

That said, the pieces on the CD are well played and perfect for those preparing for their grade 1 exam.

I'm still disappointed that this wasn't labelled more clearly- it's unlikely that anyone would buy just the cd and not the printed music at the same time, so it should be much more clearly displayed. It doesn't seem that amazon sell the complete book+cd for trumpet as they do for other instruments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 3:57 PM GMT

Electron Nano 9 LED Front Light
Electron Nano 9 LED Front Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, but ugly, 25 Oct. 2010
I bought this light because I needed something very bright for commuting on dull/rainy/foggy autumn and winter days. It's perfect for the job of making you visible to other road users- cuts through rain and fog no problem, easily the brightest front light I've come across -except for those £150 jobs with huge battery packs.

I'm not sure how well it would illuminate the road, but since I cycle only on well-lit urban routes I didn't need to consider that

The Nano take inexpensive AAA batteries- which means the high initial cost is well-offset by the cost to run. It was supplied with a pair of cheap but adequate batteries which work perfectly, when they need replacing I'll swap them for rechargeables from our normal household supply.

Two things stop this being rated 5 star:

While the bracket was very easy to fit and well made- in fact one of the easiest I've ever fitted. There is no left-right adjustment, my fancy-sculpted handlebars mean that this points the light slightly to the right when I mount in my preferred position. For normal commuting this probably makes my most visible, but I'd prefer to point it to the left slightly so as not to point into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I could move it onto the opposite side of the handlebars, but that's where I like my computer etc. Really the bracket should have some adjustment at this price

Secondly the whole unit looks nice when you unpack it. It's tough, well made, feels like it will last, but mounted on my bike it is just plain ugly and out of proportion with everything else- it really looks like a torch bolted to you bike rather than a neatly design cycling product.

Overall it does the job exactly as I wanted it, if Electron could sort out the bracket and style in matt black they'd have a best ever front light.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2011 11:07 AM GMT

Great Expectation
Great Expectation

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
I saw the jolly Boys on 'Later' rushed to download this as soon as the programme finished.

If you're a fan of early ska then Mento will appeal to you too- more folky, instrumental and darker than Calypso. These covers really bring that out.

The headline track to get you started is probably Rehab, the arrangement really lets you hear not only the lyrics, the skill of the Jolly Boys and the brilliant vocals of Albert Minott -who most be close to 90 years old. If like me you're not familar with Mento music then the rhumba box -a tea chest with metal bars which are plucked to make a deep base sound- is a revelation.

The cover of the Blondie song 'Keep me hangning on the telephone' is my favourite track so far, but Blue Monday and I fought the Law are also superb.

Part of the joy of these types of cover albums- and something Great Expectations shares with Nouvelle Vague- is to be able to listen to great old songs again. But the greater joy is to be able to listen to syle of music which might otherwise be inaccesible or just unknown.

Fantastic album. The Jolly Boys are set to be everyone's new favourites in time for xmas.

Casio Unisex Watch CASIO SPORT-SCHIEDSRICHTERUHR RFT-100-2VER
Casio Unisex Watch CASIO SPORT-SCHIEDSRICHTERUHR RFT-100-2VER

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the job, 28 Aug. 2009
I referee different age groups as well as summer tournaments, so the verstality is great. The main feature is the ability to stop the clock on the stop watch while still leaving the elapsed time running, when you couple this with the alert feature (which you set to vibrate or beep at the end of normal time) then you have everything you need for a regular match.

There's another feature which is intended to be used for training, where you can setup 9 intervals of differing lengths, again you get the vibrate or beep at the end of the interval and then it moves to the next. It's intended for training- so you jog for 5 mins and sprint for 1 etc; and it works well for that, but equally you can set in advance for phases of your match to remind you to re-think your strategy etc. You can use this at the same time as the other alarms and timers.

My only gripes is that sometimes it's not easy to see that you've zeroed the stopwatch ready for the start of the 2nd half, and it would be nice to have a total elapsed time for both halves function.

Overall it does exactly the job I need it for.

Psylins 3 Way Scart Box to Plug Splitter
Psylins 3 Way Scart Box to Plug Splitter
Offered by World of Data Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars too much loss of signal, 26 Nov. 2008
I was very dissapointed with this. Bought to accomodate a Wii alongside dvd and stb into the back of my tv.

The brightness and contrast all suffered, audio volume too (although this wasn't a problem for me since we don't use the tv speakers) making this virtually useless. It is much easier just to plug Wii into the spare ports on the front of the tv when required than have to fiddle with TV controls each time we changed from Wii to STB to DVD. I could have got round it by using our smart remote control to reconfigure the tv settings when changing source but this seemed a lot of effort.

If you want any sort of decent picture or sound then don't bother with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -although light blue and not white, 26 Nov. 2008
This is an excellent refs shirt. Would have been 5 stars if it was white rather than very light blue.

The climacool fabric is amazing stuff, a multi-layed set of mesh that manages to keep you either warm or cool as required, after a couple of uses and a couple of washes it is still pristine -which is very important when you're in the middle.

Two pockets with velcro and essentially a zip, space on one pocket for your league badge as is standard with any ref shirt. My match wallet fits nicely into either pocket.

What more is there to say, great value for money at these prices, excellent refs shirt, in a useful colour -particularly (for me) for reffing youth football

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 29 Sept. 2008
I wasn't expecting much from this little fm tuner, I really bought it because the low price meant I could test whether a tuner was feasible in my car before splashing out any real money.

Sound quality is really not that bad, certainly better than an actual radio station on fm and not much worse than a shop bought cd.

There are some faults though;
the holder doesn't really hold my nano in tightly enough, and anything heavier is much worse
there's plenty of interference and placing a phone very close sends it mad
although you can move the angle of the bit that goes in the light socket, depending on the layout of your car it might not fit, it's not great on my Scenic although good enough.

Couple of tips to improve sound quality, plugging the additional 3.5mm lead into the adapter and ipod improves volume and allows you to adjust the EQ -select Treble Boost on the ipod and then reduce the treble slightly on your stereo, this help to cut out inteference.

If you don't have a stereo ready equipped for ipod then this product is certainly worth the low price

5.0 out of 5 stars Best trainer ever, 29 Sept. 2008
The PF Flyers All American are the most comfy, toughest and most versatile trainer ever made in my opinion. The look great too, like a nicely made pair of converse trainers, only your feet won't constantly be too hot, too cold or too wet in them.

The fancy posture foundation insole provides a comfortable ride while the sole is thick enough too keep your feet clear of the cold floor, the canvas is think but light.

If like me you wear jeans every day then they go just great without making you look like a chav, and if like me your gonna need to cycle or run or play football or tennis or just generally mess around without having chance to change then they're just the job; the tough rubber bumper and the dark, dark blue hide most scuffs and dirt.

Buy a pair now.