Profile for bravokilogolf > Reviews

Content by bravokilogolf

bravokilogolf

The Secret Listeners: How the Wartime Y Service Intercepted the Secret German Codes for Bletchley Park

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the content of this book., 16 Jan. 2014
I had great expectations for this book as I am interested in all aspects of World War II and thought this a story worth reading. I was expecting to read about the important messages they overheard and the role that the information played in defeating the Axis powers. Some of the book was very interesting but in my opinion thoses parts only amounted to about 10% of the book. The rest of the book was endless descriptions of the off-duty dances, friendships that were forged and many recollections which I found really boring. I believe these people played a vitally important role in the war and this book does not reflect their efforts apart from the insight into day to day life in the Y Service. Perhaps my expectaions were too high but I wouldn't recommend this book.

Ernie Ball 2047 10-50 Extra Soft Earthwood Silk N Steel String Set
Ernie Ball 2047 10-50 Extra Soft Earthwood Silk N Steel String Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased With These Strings., 16 Jan. 2014
I heard about these strings on YouTube and although I usually use D'Addario strings I thought that I would give these a try. I was very pleased indeed, on my Takemine they give a lovely balanced, warm tone. So much so that they have got me practising again properly. I will use these strings again and would recommend them.

GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer
GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer

1.0 out of 5 stars i-Can GBR281T = itCan't, 8 May 2012
I purchased this item on the strength of the good reviews it received. My experience, I'm afraid, was far different. The set-up was excellent, no problems whatsoever. However, as soon as we started to watch TV the problems started. The EPG lists suddenly wouldn't work, the menu's didn't work and the channel banner disappeared. Switched off the box, waited and re-started all fine again. Later that same evening the sound on all channels went off nothing could bring it back (it wasn't the mute button) re-started and all was well although I noticed the time had changed to European time i.e. an hour's difference? Every few hours the remote, although able to change channels wouldn't access any menus, EPG or Help. This box was on and off all the time. New batteries in the remote made no difference. I was also disappointed that the channels cannot be re-ordered. You have plenty of "favourites" but the channels always remain in strict numerical order i.e 3 = ITV and 33 = ITV+1 they remain 30 channels apart in the list and cannot be re-organised. The i-Can people have no support that I could contact apart from the product manual on their website and that could also be a problem for potential purchasers. The i-Can was received quickly from the supplier but in a normal cardboard sales type box which I don't believe gave enough protection (just my opinion) I contacted the supplier filled in their returns form and have heard nothing further as yet.

I have sent the box back which cost £7.45 postage to sent and I await a refund.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 8:31 PM BST